X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[GAME] Allison Road - Survival Horror

------------------

Hi there,

I recently started working on my first game project, working title 'Allison Road'.
    Actually my background is film/vfx, however, I love games ever since I can remember really.
    I always wondered what it would take to make one, so finally I decided the best way to find out is to just try it myself x)
    I love survival horror games, hence Allison Road will definitely have a heavy focus on horror.

I built major chunks of my first level in modo over the last few weeks and just started getting that stuff into UE4 bit by bit.
    Steep learning curve I have to say; The workflow is very different compared to films. :O

Anyways..
    Talk soon

Chris

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	456.3 KB
ID:	1145572

Name:	3.jpg
Size:	395.2 KB
ID:	1145573
    Attached Files
    Last edited by HSbF6; 06-17-2015, 09:06 PM.
    Unreal Forum Thread
    Allison Road on Twitter
    Allison Road Facebook page

Looking good so far, the first thing I thought of when I saw the second image was PT! That is a good thing. I'm looking forward to seeing more as you progress. Good luck!

Comment

Howdy HSbF6,

I am very excited to see how you progress along in the development of 'Allison Road', as horror games have always been a favorite of mine. Looks like you are off to a pretty good start so far as well. Be sure to keep us updated as you progress along in the development of your project. Keep up the great work.

Have a great day!

Comment

thank you guys! really appreciated!

KoldKam:
        Man, I gotto admit that actually playing through P.T. got me inspired to start building my own game.
        I mean the whole thing is so "simple" and yet I really enjoyed playing through. Not to mention it looked fab and was f*cking scary
        I'm definitely trying to get the highest level of playable photo-realism I can. Let's see

Sean:
        Cheers! I have to say you guys developed something remarkable with UE4. I mean the results look stunning, even without putting a lot of dev work into it (from a user point of view). And for me, coming more from an artist type of background, it's been really easy to get into so far.
        We were even discussing getting a subscription for work haha.
        Well, I haven't gotten to any code/blueprint parts yet, that's gonna be a whole different story I'm sure.

Btw, just to have said it:
        The online community here, on the answer hub and youtube is amazing. I mean the engine hasn't been out that long, but I could literally find an answer for every single problem I encountered so far; not to mention the already fantastic collection of tutorial videos.
        really really cool!
        --

ok, meanwhile I made a little update last night.
        Starting to put the kitchen together.

cheerio,
        chris

Name:	1606401_721597401266382_4793132466985467950_o.jpg
Size:	258.7 KB
ID:	1057082
        Unreal Forum Thread
        Allison Road on Twitter

Comment

made some major modeling updates to the level;
          so much UV'ing to be done urgh :'(
          can't wait to take that stuff into UE4, though

Name:	preview1_05_10_2014.JPG
Size:	534.9 KB
ID:	1057491

Name:	preview2_05_10_2014.JPG
Size:	274.4 KB
ID:	1057492

Name:	preview3_05_10_2014.JPG
Size:	486.2 KB
ID:	1057493

Name:	preview4_05_10_2014.JPG
Size:	237.8 KB
ID:	1057494

Name:	preview5_05_10_2014.JPG
Size:	323.1 KB
ID:	1057495
          Unreal Forum Thread
          Allison Road on Twitter

Comment

Nice work dude! Keep it up!

Comment

Nice job dude, looks amazing, I especially like how detailed the environments are like they were real. Good luck Unrwapping UVs!

Comment

hey thank you guys
                Unreal Forum Thread
                Allison Road on Twitter

Comment

Fantastic work! Glad to see how much this one is progressing.

Tim
                  Tim Hobson | Learning Resources | Epic Games
                  UE4 Documentation
                  Wiki Troubleshooting Guides: Lighting | Swarm Agent | Destructibles |

Comment

Cheers tim, appreciated
                    Unreal Forum Thread
                    Allison Road on Twitter

Comment

hi again,
                      been down with flu couple of weeks ago, so couldn't make any progress there unfortunately.
                      however, last week I was feeling better, so I decided to look into substance designer.
                      here are some updates on the kitchen
                      I figured I give every object a first pass of texture first and then later on I'll go back in and add some really individual details, if necessary.

there are some issues, however, which I have to further investigate at some point. I can hardly hit over 40fps at the moment for some reason. occasionally it goes up to something like 90, though. seems rather random.
                      also there's some lightmaps I need to look at again, some edge bleeding.
                      also substance designer crashes my whole machine sometimes lol; gotto look into that, too.

ah well.. WIP

cheers guys,
                      chris

Name:	1a.jpg
Size:	606.2 KB
ID:	1057957

Name:	2a.jpg
Size:	765.6 KB
ID:	1057958

Name:	3a.jpg
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	1057959

Name:	4a.jpg
Size:	812.4 KB
ID:	1057960

Name:	5a.jpg
Size:	553.9 KB
ID:	1057961

Name:	6a.jpg
Size:	744.0 KB
ID:	1057962
                      Unreal Forum Thread
                      Allison Road on Twitter

Comment

Looking good! Keep it up!

Comment

What you got so far looks really good, about the performance, are you using high poly meshes? What kind of GPU are you developing with? I'm not sure of how much experience you have with game development versus film, but try to keep the poly amount as low as you can and use Normal maps for the small details, also UE4 has some graphical features that are pretty hard on the GPU, try to play around with that and only enable what you think is necessary for the visual fidelity that you are after

You have a good attention to details, I noticed those masked handprints on the countertops material, good stuff, it would be pretty cool to explore that apartment in the Oculus Rift

Keep up the good work!

Comment

Lighting is so good. Can you share with us how you set up teh ligtings & the type of lightings/setting use. I am also making game base in a house (see my signature), but not survival horror though.
                            Check my working title: The Locked Room here: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...he-locked-Room

Comment

morning guys,

@KoldKam: thanks dude! appreciated
                              @KhenaB: Thank you and cheers for the suggestions!
                              Actually I've never worked on a game before haha. BUT I did and am doing a lot of research as I go basically x)
                              All the models are really low poly (I mean they're not like 1 quad for the cupboard doors for example, but still pretty basic) and I'm using normal maps etc, yes.
                              I'm using a GTX780Ti at home.
                              When I actually 'launch' the game I get something like 90fps, but in the editor I get only 30/40fps.
                              would you happen to know if there's a way to make the editor a little more indicative of the actual game performance?

oh and btw I am planning to get the Oculus to work with that just waiting for my DK2 right now!

@starseeker:

thanks a lot, buddy!
                              I'll post a screenshot tonight when I'm home from work, but there's nothing fancy going on there really.
                              I think it's really mostly about playing with IES profiles (which I haven't even done yet) and with your actual materials.

chris
                              Unreal Forum Thread
                              Allison Road on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                              X