Realtime Dynamic GI + Reflections + AO + Emissive plugin - AHR

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Realtime Dynamic GI + Reflections + AO + Emissive plugin - AHR

UPDATE 2 : I got hired to finish developing this exclusively for a client, so I won't be updating the repo on github. It's still there, but if you want to do something with it, please contact me first. Thank you all

UPDATE
    Clarifications: Due to limitations both on time and the plugin interface of UE, this is NOT a plugin, but a modification of the engine source
    Public release here, but first watch this video.
    Also, jump straight to page 10, that's where the fun starts
    You'll need to be loged in github to download, with your account that's linked to your unreal engine account
    Test Scene here : https://mega.nz/#F!58Qw3T7R!xGApDeqSp1FWP7Wfh2aLPQ
    Old stuff follows

Hy everyone.
    I have been developing a technique, called Approximate Hybrid Raytracing (AHR), to render global illumination, reflections, and AO for fully dynamic scenes, approximating the scene with a voxel grid and then raytracing.
    I aim mid-range hardware, for example, my FX-6300 and GTX 750 Ti runs the sample demo at 60 FPS for the lowest quality preset and around 27 FPS for a reasonably high quality preset.
    I decided to write a plugin for UE4 that integrates AHR into the editor, considering Epic dropped support for dynamic GI, and LPVs doesn’t produce high quality results.

For now, I just have an old video (I say it again. OLD video. It runs about 60% - 70% faster now) and a few screenshots of AHR inside UE4.

AHR features include:
    • Scalable quality
    • Fully dynamic scenes
    • 1 bounce indirect illumination
    • 1 bounce reflections
    • Flexible material model
    • “Free” (no performance hit over standard GI, just reuses samples) AO
    • Unlimited emissive materials with soft shadows

I’ll be updating this with screenshots and demos over this week, and then two weeks later (starting October 6) I’ll start to update this thread every day.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by RyanTorant; 07-07-2017, 09:39 AM.

• replied
    Originally posted by prateekstp View Post
    Thats something i don't understand, UE4 is really a great engine but it seems that it is almost the last engine on this planet without fully dynamic lighting, thats really sad.
    www.guideadda.com
    4.23 has real time GI now: SSGI. It's still an experimental feature though (performance hog, noisy) but it should be fully ready in 4.24 if I'm not mistaken. Try it, it's pretty good! It's main drawback is that light propagation disappears when the camera isn't framing the area (same thing with SSAO. Because well, it's called Screen Space for a reason hehe). In most cases it's not a deal breaker, but let's say that you're facing an emissive object and you rotate the camera to see the light propagate on your character's SSS skin, well expect to be disappointed because it won't happen. Since you're not facing the emissive object the light propagation will disappear.

Still, SSGI is a thousand times better than nothing, and looks great on outdoors. I'll still use it along the light probes plugin, it's a great combo. No need for baking scenes anymore, yay!
    Last edited by SilentAndAsleep; 09-14-2019, 12:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thats something i don't understand, UE4 is really a great engine but it seems that it is almost the last engine on this planet without fully dynamic lighting, thats really sad.
    www.guideadda.com

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by 6r0m View Post
    somebody can give solution for dynamic light (good look indoor and outdoor) from the box?
    I had a lot of hope in this solution too... but from what I've tried LPV are the way to go if you want fully dynamic GI but they tend to crash in packaged game and it doesn't work with opengl/metal/vulkan (only gnm and dx11). https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...mes/index.html .
    I hope Epic will not stay on lightmass stuff, this semi static solution this is very slow in term of production (the building take too much time and have too much failure cases) and bring to much limitation in term of interactivity IMO. =/

Leave a comment:

• replied
    somebody can give solution for dynamic light (good look indoor and outdoor) from the box?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Blue man View Post
    Hey, [MENTION=9166]RyanTorant[/MENTION] can someone still take your code and improve it. Been following this thread since it had maybe 20 replies, I'm glad you found use for AHR
    Hey blue man, sorry for the delay. The old repo it's gonna stay there so I guess that's ok. Don't think anyone will pick it up though, it's kinda of a mess, but you never know . Anyway, yeah, if someone does pick it up, he/she should just send me an email to let me know. Will update the repo to explain that.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by RyanTorant View Post
    Forking the public repo should be ok, but it won't go into the main engine code.
    Besides, it never was quite ready for that.
    Hey, [MENTION=9166]RyanTorant[/MENTION] can someone still take your code and improve it. Been following this thread since it had maybe 20 replies, I'm glad you found use for AHR

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Meatl0ckr View Post
    Will we be able to create a fork of the current, public AHR solution?
    Or a pull request to integrate it into the base engine?
    Forking the public repo should be ok, but it won't go into the main engine code.
    Besides, it never was quite ready for that.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by RyanTorant View Post
    Well, some big and final news here.
    I got a totally unexpected offer from an archviz company to finish AHR for them, commercially, and I took it. I wasn't expecting to work again on AHR, but well, life happens
    That means that I won't be updating my AHR repo again.

I hope to be able to post some screens eventually, but it probably won't be on this post.

It's truly been a ride. It seems like I've been here forever, that first post seems so far away. Thanks to everyone that took interest on this over the years.
    Until the next one people.

Ryan over and out.
    Will we be able to create a fork of the current, public AHR solution?
    Or a pull request to integrate it into the base engine?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Themanwithideas View Post
    Okay yeah I get it. Just remember I want to see some screens.
    Oh, that I sure will

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Okay yeah I get it. Just remember I want to see some screens.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Themanwithideas View Post
    So do we get access to it when you're done? Or are they going to sell it? I can't wait to see what you do!
    I'm sorry, but no. I'll be developing it exclusively for them to use on a commercial software they are developing.
    I hope you people understand.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    So do we get access to it when you're done? Or are they going to sell it? I can't wait to see what you do!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Well, some big and final news here.
    I got a totally unexpected offer from an archviz company to finish AHR for them, commercially, and I took it. I wasn't expecting to work again on AHR, but well, life happens
    That means that I won't be updating my AHR repo again.

I hope to be able to post some screens eventually, but it probably won't be on this post.

It's truly been a ride. It seems like I've been here forever, that first post seems so far away. Thanks to everyone that took interest on this over the years.
    Until the next one people.

Ryan over and out.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by StopItRonStop! View Post
    hey is this dead now? it looked really good so far? I was liking where it was going...
    It's on indefinite hold. I may pick it up later, but I'm working in another project, that I need to keep under wraps for a while longer. I'm still here to answer questions, but I'm not working on ahr. It's been like this for a while. dragonCASTjosh was working on it, but we haven't talked in a while, don't know if he kept it up.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X