Realtime Dynamic GI + Reflections + AO + Emissive plugin - AHR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PLASTICA-MAN View Post
    ...RyanTorant, the ball is in your camp now. You are the only and last savior.
    I have just one thing to say:
    Last edited by RyanTorant; 11-16-2014, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Hey Ryan, I got another question.

I know your technique is based on ray tracing, so does it have the same benefits too? For example, ray tracing is suppose to scale well when you throw more polygons at it (something rasterization can't do). Epic mentioned in one of their livestreams, having ray traced shadows didn't require processing polygons (it only calculates the cascades around the mesh).

Also, can your ray tracing be used at very high resolutions? Like for example, if I wanted to make a game run in 4k, would there be a bigger performance penalty than if it was 1080p?
      Last edited by JordanN; 11-16-2014, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JordanN View Post
        Hey Ryan, I got another question.

I know your technique is based on ray tracing, so does it have the same benefits too? For example, ray tracing is suppose to scale well when you throw more polygons at it (something rasterization can't do).

Also, can your ray tracing be used at very very high resolutions? Like for example, if I wanted to make a game to run in 4k, would there be a bigger performance penalty than if it was 1080p?
        Well, the answer is the classic "it depends".
        Let me breakdown a bit your question.

My technique has, as most raytracers, two stages. One to build the acceleration structures (voxelization in my case) and another to do the tracing.
        Only the first stage is dependent on the geometry, and is linear in the number of primitives and triangles per primitives. Then the raytracing stage is constant on the scene geometry.
        Complexity scales linearly to the number of pixels to be traced, so in 4K you get 4 times less performance. Keep in mind that the tracing is done on a half resolution buffer.
        I get about 12 FPS down from 52, almost exactly 4 times slower, on a high quality preset with my GTX 750 Ti at 4K. But you won't game at 4K with a 750 Ti...
        Later I plan to divide the voxelization in a bunch of diferent stages, so that only the things that really need to be voxelized get voxelized. For now it sends everything every frame.

EDIT: Considering that at 4K the GI buffer ends up at 1080p, wich is quite overkill, you could trace at quarter resolution when rendering at 4K, and you should get the same performance that running at 1080p
        Last edited by RyanTorant; 11-16-2014, 07:33 PM.

Comment

RyanTorant, this looks fantastic any update for us?

Comment

Originally posted by Voodoo View Post
            RyanTorant, this looks fantastic any update for us?
            Sadly no, i have 5 exams due to next week, so I haven't had a lot of time to work on this. Still, the two main parts left for a working-alpha-ish wibbly wobbly implementation are the voxelization shaders and the RSM.
            Sorry for not having a lot of news

Comment

No Probs totally understand and good luck with your exams!

Comment

Originally posted by Voodoo View Post
                No Probs totally understand and good luck with your exams!
                Don't worry about his exams, if he can create such things that even devs coudln't do, then he must be a real genius

Comment

Originally posted by PLASTICA-MAN View Post
                  Don't worry about his exams, if he can create such things that even devs coudln't do, then he must be a real genius
                  > be me
                  > be studing 24/7
                  > read this comment
                  > my face be like

Click image for larger version

Name:	1786023.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	1061411

Thanks man

Comment

Originally posted by RyanTorant View Post
                    > be me
                    > be studing 24/7
                    > read this comment
                    > my face be like

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18103[/ATTACH]

Thanks man
                    lol chuckled

Comment

Originally posted by RyanTorant View Post
                      > be me
                      > be studing 24/7
                      > read this comment
                      > my face be like

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18103[/ATTACH]

Thanks man
                      Good luck

Comment

Just wanted to say I'm still alive around here. Have 3 exams on the next 3 days, but will be free after friday, so might have some updates over the weekend. For now, just wait

Comment

We are ready

Comment

I hope you have more luck with your exams than I do >.>
                            But I am really excited to see some progress

Comment

Good luck again! 4.6 is released and has Static Lighting from Emissive Materials now. I am impatient how your integration will deal with the dyanmic lighting and emissive materials. Epic is going the right path with this and your work is even going better and faster.

Comment

I want this now

Comment

Working...
                                X