Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One quick suggestion I have is to add an additional parameter to the shoreline foam that controls the overall foam opacity. Currently there are parameters to control the foam depth/softness etc, but for my project I would love to have the foam be present but not as opaque, to add a subtle amount of foam to a lake scene.

(If there is already a way to do this please ignore, I searched everywhere but can't find this specifically)

Comment

Hi guys,
      this looks so cool ! i really wanna try it out.
      please help me i am totally new to all github related things.
      once i created an account, how can i download a working example of the 4.12 version.
      I really wanna try out the under/over water effect for a scene of mine.
      is there a how to install guide somewhere ? or something similar ?

thx for all this crazy work on it !!
      stucki
      www.ofpawnsandkings.de

Comment

Hi there,
        I keep checking back on this amazing project every few months and I have to say I am stunned by the work you and the community have done.
        Can I ask a dumb question?
        Why is it not possible to have this as a free addition on the marketplace? I assume it's because it makes code changes and such and I don't understand enough of the tech side to know how or why that's a problem.
        Is it not the kind of thing you could release as a plugin?

I only ask because I really want to use it but don't want to get into the whole compiling side of it. A previous project I worked on I did a similar thing and the project ended up failing to compile and then I could never get it working again after that even when deleting the offending stuff. So I didn't want to go down a similar route with this after months of work.
        If it's not too much trouble can anyone explain why we can't have this as a download for blueprint only projects?

Thanks, and keep it up!
        Daz

Comment

Originally posted by dazuk1978 View Post
          Hi there,
          I keep checking back on this amazing project every few months and I have to say I am stunned by the work you and the community have done.
          Can I ask a dumb question?
          Why is it not possible to have this as a free addition on the marketplace? I assume it's because it makes code changes and such and I don't understand enough of the tech side to know how or why that's a problem.
          Is it not the kind of thing you could release as a plugin?

I only ask because I really want to use it but don't want to get into the whole compiling side of it. A previous project I worked on I did a similar thing and the project ended up failing to compile and then I could never get it working again after that even when deleting the offending stuff. So I didn't want to go down a similar route with this after months of work.
          If it's not too much trouble can anyone explain why we can't have this as a download for blueprint only projects?

Thanks, and keep it up!
          Daz
          Hey dude, you don't have to compile it, the github includes all the binaries you should be able to use it simply by copying the plugin folder to your project plugins folder. You can delete the source folder if you like I think it still works without it, on either case I don't think it will compile it.

Now....I am not sure if it will work on a BP-only project because I don't know how to "include" plugins in those projects...but it should work I think...sure the plugin has c++ code but it is compiled so it should work on a BP.

If you don't need buoyancy stuff you can simply migrate the materials and assets from the example project.

Comment

hi, i downloaded the 4.12 version of it
            sadly it doesnt work with 4.12.1
            could you please upload a version for 4.12.1. i am really so curious to test it ;-)
            sorry if this can be done be me, but i really have no clue about all this.....
            www.ofpawnsandkings.de

Comment

Originally posted by stucki View Post
              could you please upload a version for 4.12.1. i am really so curious to test it ;-)
              Download github.
              Open Project.
              Hit ok at any prompts. Dont read them.

This is a very common issue. Should fix your 4.12.x issues.

If not, try again, 4.12.1-release did not break anything from 4.12.0-release

Anyone getting weird artificats etc. Try verifiying your engine files with Epic Games Launcher and then make a TOTALLY fresh project from git/a stashed download of the project. Often a parameter just gets ticked'n'flicked or a checkbox same thing and it ruins your whole look. When you dont build a (fairly) large system like this yourself the smallest things can have the largest consequences.
              Tek LLC a personal Candaian Company running BlenderTek & UnrealTek is currently looking for help to bring back submarine simulator gaming with a new genre of sub sims: Cold War! (1945-1991) Operation: Trident SubSim Dev Diary Thread - Donations

Comment

As Nsomnia noted, so long as you have Visual Studio 2015 Community edition installed on your PC, UE4 will automatically re-compile the plugin for you. You don't have to ever touch Visual Studio, UE4 only needs access to it's compiler for project builds.

With that said, I highly recommend you DO NOT upgrade to version 4.12.1, there was a major bug introduced that prevents compilation of blueprints (more info here). Looks like 4.12.2 will be coming in the next couple days, so hold off until then if you have not already upgraded.

When 4.12.2 comes out I will recompile the project and upload to GitHub, along with some major upgrades to the SkyDome.
                Free Community Ocean & Sky Project || Join us on Discord! || Trello Roadmap

Comment

Originally posted by DotCam View Post
                  As Nsomnia noted, so long as you have Visual Studio 2015 Community edition installed on your PC, UE4 will automatically re-compile the plugin for you. You don't have to ever touch Visual Studio, UE4 only needs access to it's compiler for project builds.

With that said, I highly recommend you DO NOT upgrade to version 4.12.1, there was a major bug introduced that prevents compilation of blueprints (more info here). Looks like 4.12.2 will be coming in the next couple days, so hold off until then if you have not already upgraded.

When 4.12.2 comes out I will recompile the project and upload to GitHub, along with some major upgrades to the SkyDome.
                  ...my project is fine, we need a private beta source repo... and I'll add the FFT enum when my cpp programmer gets off his romanian butt
                  Last edited by Nsomnia; 06-08-2016, 10:48 AM.
                  Tek LLC a personal Candaian Company running BlenderTek & UnrealTek is currently looking for help to bring back submarine simulator gaming with a new genre of sub sims: Cold War! (1945-1991) Operation: Trident SubSim Dev Diary Thread - Donations

Comment

Originally posted by DavidNSilva View Post
                    Hey dude, you don't have to compile it, the github includes all the binaries you should be able to use it simply by copying the plugin folder to your project plugins folder. You can delete the source folder if you like I think it still works without it, on either case I don't think it will compile it.

Now....I am not sure if it will work on a BP-only project because I don't know how to "include" plugins in those projects...but it should work I think...sure the plugin has c++ code but it is compiled so it should work on a BP.

If you don't need buoyancy stuff you can simply migrate the materials and assets from the example project.
                    Thanks for the assist!

[MENTION=15485]dazuk1978[/MENTION]:

If you want a BP only project, you will need to create one and then copy the "Plugins" folder from the OceanProject into your own. With that done, open up the OceanProject and migrate any (or all) of the assets to your project. I would recommend leaving the source in the plugins folder in case you ever need it during development, but some of the files could be removed when packaging your game.

That's the beauty of using a plugin, it works with or without code.

Comment

thx very much for your detailed answers !!
                      the second time i started the demo, it worked without any errors !
                      looks increadibly beautiful !
                      now i will have to play with it ;-)

i like to have a scene direkt in the break of the water line, so you can view above and below the water at the same time.
                      i will have to find a way to have very much, but very small waves, so i only have the splitline on a small part of the scene.
                      would that be possible with the system ?Click image for larger version

Name:	11012823-3d-buoy-floating-on-the-ocean-waterline-view-Stock-Photo-ocean-water.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	1107906
                      www.ofpawnsandkings.de

Comment

While im not ready to open source all my stuff yet, look into doing some material courses and get a good understanding of how the entire render path works in UE. https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...ring/Overview/

Edit: More info here more-so https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...ing/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by Nsomnia View Post
                          ...my project is fine, we need a private beta source repo... and I'll add the FFT enum when my cpp programmer gets off his romanian butt
                          Oh that's good to hear, it seems to be specific to blueprints referencing other blueprints, which does happen in the ocean and sky bp's, so wanted to put up that warning just in case

How do you want to go about the repo? I can add you as a contributor, then you can create a new branch and set to private. Or it can be done through pull requests (but would not be hidden), but if it's on your repo it would be easy to fork on my end. Whichever you think would work best, I'll try and hop on skype later (on my tablet right now).

i like to have a scene direkt in the break of the water line, so you can view above and below the water at the same time.
                          i will have to find a way to have very much, but very small waves, so i only have the splitline on a small part of the scene.
                          would that be possible with the system ?
                          Yes you can, that is already built in and ready to go, all you need to do is decrease the size of the waves, which can be adjusted in the details panel under:

Ocean Manager -> Wave Clusters -> 0 -> Amplitude/Length/Steepness

Try adjusting those values to get smaller waves.

Comment

Yes you can, that is already built in and ready to go, all you need to do is decrease the size of the waves, which can be adjusted in the details panel under:

Ocean Manager -> Wave Clusters -> 0 -> Amplitude/Length/Steepness

Try adjusting those values to get smaller waves.
                            I might add stock you'll never get perfectly flat (due to the normals?) without editing the material. But pretty **** close to a slihgtly shimmering mirror.

DC I was half kidding. As school is out now though and all of us programmers are finally able to focus on c++ instead of more BP's than cpp things might change we have a huge plan laid out for our specific needs (underwater currents etc/salinity/weather states and random timings/bow waves/wakes/rotor wash). Military on ocean kind've things.

Comment

Originally posted by Angrytoilet View Post
                              quick question from .. page 1 .. followup ?
                              The river thing was mentioned, and, i was wondering what ever came about for that? I have been waiting for someone to come up with a BP-driven river spline tool "forever". lol
                              Kitedemo has one, kinda, and, without the documentation on it, kinda left pressing random buttons and seeing what happens (plus the water is terrible for "general use")
                              [MENTION=61088]Quintela[/MENTION] [MENTION=260104]Angrytoilet[/MENTION] (nice name btw )

There is a very basic spline based river included, it just aligns planes along the spline, the water material would then just need a Panner node to pan the normals along the river direction.

But as [MENTION=11208]n00854180t[/MENTION] said, there is a much better version in the Kite Demo. I was planning to use that as a base and add a few modifications, but never got around to it unfortunately. Still something I want to revisit at some point, just a bit busy atm.

Comment

[MENTION=61088]Quintela[/MENTION] [MENTION=260104]Angrytoilet[/MENTION] (nice name btw )

There is a very basic spline based river included, it just aligns planes along the spline, the water material would then just need a Panner node to pan the normals along the river direction.

But as [MENTION=11208]n00854180t[/MENTION] said, there is a much better version in the Kite Demo. I was planning to use that as a base and add a few modifications, but never got around to it unfortunately. Still something I want to revisit at some point, just a bit busy atm.
                                Thanks for the reply [MENTION=5439]DotCam[/MENTION], no problem, take your time, you guys are doing an awesome work with this project!

Comment

Working...
                                X