This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlueBudgie View Post
    DotCam, TK-Master and all contributors, why not give WaveWorks a try to check the performance of their FFT method.
    It turns out that Nvidia has a UE4 WaveWorks branch.
    https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-gameworks-and-ue4
    I've got a programmer working on making FFT/Gerstner as simple as en enum choice. If he doesnt get to it before me, I'm learning more and more of the API and will probably port VaOceans setup in a similar way.

By the way. Does anyone know if world composition allows sound to travel between levels? I have sonar that needs to work over 50 km...
    Tek LLC a personal Candaian Company running BlenderTek & UnrealTek is currently looking for help to bring back submarine simulator gaming with a new genre of sub sims: Cold War! (1945-1991) Operation: Trident SubSim Dev Diary Thread - Donations

Comment

I'm having a hard time figuring out how the global wave direction parameter works. Is there a particular reason why it isn't just a float between 0 and 360?

Comment

Originally posted by bakelite View Post
        I'm having a hard time figuring out how the global wave direction parameter works. Is there a particular reason why it isn't just a float between 0 and 360?
        0 = 0 || 360 0.25 == 90d 0.5 == 180d 0.75 == 270d.

Think how much of a complete 360d rotation are you doing. Or in other words. Map range 0-360 to 0-1

Think of a UMG slider. 0-1 = 0-100%
        Tek LLC a personal Candaian Company running BlenderTek & UnrealTek is currently looking for help to bring back submarine simulator gaming with a new genre of sub sims: Cold War! (1945-1991) Operation: Trident SubSim Dev Diary Thread - Donations

Comment

So here's a shot in the dark, has there been any thought about making this linux compatible?

Comment

Originally posted by NigeySUK View Post
            So here's a shot in the dark, has there been any thought about making this linux compatible?
            Read the thread theres lots of talks about why it doesnt (texture limits) and work arounds (basically none, I;d suggest doing an

#IF_PLATFORM_LINUX
            OceanMesh->SetMaterial(HomeRolledLinuxMat);
            #END_IF

or however its written. I think Rama has some platform checking nodes exposed to blueprints.

One of my co-devs cant even get it working on a modern macbook so things may improve in the future with fixes by Epic.

Comment

1) If you want to remove "Darknes in the middle of water" and "Brightness at the corners", when looking at the water from flat surface => then:
              - Select BP_Ocean
              - Inrease Roughness to 0.3 or higher.

This was the first thing i had to do with this project. But, after that, water reflections become sux...

Also, the first thing you have to do is to "unckeck"/"disable" everything in PP_Global->Post Process Volume->Settings->Depth Of Field.

2) This project also has Underwater!!! with good looking cutting edge!!!

keep up.

PS: i've also played with "CryEngine 5 Ocean" and "Unity3d Realistic Water 2.0.0", and i wanna say that - i like UE4 Ocean Project's water much more, but it needs very much tweaking and also optimisations would be nice.

PS2: i've tested "Unity 5 Ceto Ocean System" and "Unity 5 PlayWay Water". And results:
              - Ceto Ocean System - is not worthing attention.
              - PlayWay Water - is really good water, i would say more realistic than Ocean Project (Ocean Project is more stylistic though). But has minor problems with repetition of water chunks from height looking.
              Last edited by newbprofi; 05-24-2016, 01:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TK-Master View Post

Yup it looks even better now with animated wet lens effect:

I have also modified a couple .usf files so that GaussianDOF works with the ocean plane properly.
                Looks like the water surface on top side is different, than in the current Ocean Project. It does not have "bright corners" issue (SSR). But the bottom surface still have this issue.

Btw, when we will get this awesome new water on github?
                Last edited by newbprofi; 05-24-2016, 03:54 AM.

Comment

I have one of "those questions" for once.

My sunlight is getting set to negative values which creates weird black shimmering.

I found its by clamping the cloud opacity to 0.1-1 and then multiplying the stock value by it.

So by adjusting my cloud opacity as a work around I get a skylight value in PIE of 3.5 and now it looks liek well.. ****.

All washed out and stuff. No PP applied.

Any idea? Im porting dots Date/Time setup to Ultra_Dynamic_Sky-BP but worried Im just going to bring the issue over.

Comment

Originally posted by Nsomnia View Post
                    I have one of "those questions" for once.

My sunlight is getting set to negative values which creates weird black shimmering.

I found its by clamping the cloud opacity to 0.1-1 and then multiplying the stock value by it.

So by adjusting my cloud opacity as a work around I get a skylight value in PIE of 3.5 and now it looks liek well.. ****.

All washed out and stuff. No PP applied.

Any idea? Im porting dots Date/Time setup to Ultra_Dynamic_Sky-BP but worried Im just going to bring the issue over.
                    Hey Nsomnia,

The old BP_Sky blueprint is a mess, only half working with a lot of bugs... I've been moving the time/rotation calculations to the Plugin itself, allowing you to call "GetSunRotation" and accessing the current time from there. Biggest reason is blueprints only allow floats, to accurately obtain a date you need a double for JulianDay conversion.

One thing that comes to mind is that the sunlight intensity is being adjusted depending on the amount of cloud cover (check the Update Sun function). Try disconnecting SetLightIntensity from the graph to see if that is the cause.

I still need to add the moon rotation to code, but it is working well (and faster) so far. The blueprint itself needs to be built up a bit as it is just the basic skydome modified to use the TimeManager base class functions, but I plan on adding in multiple skylight cubemap captures that blend together through the day (this eliminates the skylight re-capture performance hit). There was a tutorial recently put out that should be easy enough to implement.

Things aren't moving as fast as I would like, I'm still not doing very well so my dev time is limited. I need to fix a few minor issues first but I can update the experimental sky branch or PM you the code later if you'd like.
                    Free Community Ocean & Sky Project || Join us on Discord! || Trello Roadmap

Comment

Originally posted by DotCam View Post
                      Hey Nsomnia,

The old BP_Sky blueprint is a mess, only half working with a lot of bugs... I've been moving the time/rotation calculations to the Plugin itself, allowing you to call "GetSunRotation" and accessing the current time from there. Biggest reason is blueprints only allow floats, to accurately obtain a date you need a double for JulianDay conversion.

One thing that comes to mind is that the sunlight intensity is being adjusted depending on the amount of cloud cover (check the Update Sun function). Try disconnecting SetLightIntensity from the graph to see if that is the cause.

I still need to add the moon rotation to code, but it is working well (and faster) so far. The blueprint itself needs to be built up a bit as it is just the basic skydome modified to use the TimeManager base class functions, but I plan on adding in multiple skylight cubemap captures that blend together through the day (this eliminates the skylight re-capture performance hit). There was a tutorial recently put out that should be easy enough to implement.

Things aren't moving as fast as I would like, I'm still not doing very well so my dev time is limited. I need to fix a few minor issues first but I can update the experimental sky branch or PM you the code later if you'd like.
                      I'm porting your date/time lat/long setup since its easy for my new-to-ue4 devs to work with blueprints but I have no problem mashing code together I'm getting quite familiar with the API these days. Completely up to you, im still on Skype.

That is definitly where the value isgetting set to a negative value, just dont get why it gets washed out. I may have broken sometihng over the last 6 months; I'll have to download the stock github repo and compare blueprints.

Comment

Originally posted by TK-Master View Post

There are 2 main problems with WaveWorks (meaning there are more problems that I will not go into in this post ).

1) It's not a plugin, it's integrated into the engine.. maintaining a custom engine branch is not exactly convenient neither for me or for the users.
                        There is GalaxyMan2015's branch (kudos to that guy btw!) but he is a community member, not an nvidia employee so it is not guaranteed if and when his branch is going to be updated (right now it's still on 4.9, so you can see what I mean).

2) It has been pretty much abandoned by nvidia (the official branch hasn't been updated for over a year), there is also functionality that hasn't been exposed into the engine (like height readback, which is essential for buoyancy).

So right now, I would say WaveWorks is pretty much out of the question, you are much better of using my custom VaOcean branch which has FFT and height readback working.. with some performance problems that is.
                        I think it is going to be fine with WaveWorks. I just checked the branch of GalaxyMan2015 and he has displacement readback, so buoyancy is ok. Also with the (somewhat) old Nvidia WaveWorks branch there are enough references how it is done.

this here gives me a lot of hope that it can be done with some source code knife work.
                        https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...IDIA-WaveWorks

Comment

This project is amazing! Really enjoying the results so far !

Few things that I noticed, I apologize if this has been mentioned/discussed before but I tried to search through the 30+ pages and couldn't find anything relating to the following issues:

-Our "cloud" light function that we have been using on our map doesn't play well with the ocean, it seems to get some extreme stretching/artifacting going on when it's applied to any directional light in the map. Granted, we may be moving to a different time of day cycle system with volumetric clouds that cast shadows in the future, but I was curious if anyone has had similar issues with the setup? This was occurring with or without the current sky dome that is implemented in the island test map, so it feels like it's something that has to do with the directional light and water blueprint and not related to the sky blueprint.

-The nightsky seems to have strange issues with the exponential heightfog in our map, where it will fade in and out depending upon the players viewing angle, if I look towards the ground it will fade away, and look back up it will return. It seems that this is being caused by the light shaft occlusion setting on the directional light. Thoughts?"

Additional note: Would be awesome to have the stars also animate during the night cycle, I saw this functionality in the TruSky Plugin and it looked really cool even if it is pretty tough to see. I didn't see this on the trello page but figured I would mention it in case it wasn't planned yet.

Keep up the GREAT work guys! Looking forward to seeing where this project goes
                          Last edited by tsnodgrass; 05-27-2016, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Anyone know the best way to address the warning about the plugins build.cs file?

Plugins\OceanPlugin\Source\OceanPlugin\OceanPlugin.Build.cs(8,44) : warning CS0612: 'UnrealBuildTool.RulesCompiler.GetModuleFilename(string)' is obsolete

Comment

Originally posted by Burnrate View Post
                              Anyone know the best way to address the warning about the plugins build.cs file?

Plugins\OceanPlugin\Source\OceanPlugin\OceanPlugin.Build.cs(8,44) : warning CS0612: 'UnrealBuildTool.RulesCompiler.GetModuleFilename(string)' is obsolete
                              That has already been fixed in the 4.12 version on GitHub, it's just a deprecated warning.

If you want to fix it yourself (you will need to recompile the plugin) go to Plugins\OceanPlugin\Source\OceanPlugin\ and edit the file named "OceanPlugin.Build.cs" by replacing this line from the ModulePath property:

Code:
                              get { return Path.GetDirectoryName(RulesCompiler.GetModuleFilename(this.GetType().Name)); }
                              with
                              Code:
                              get { return Path.GetDirectoryName(ModuleDirectory); }
                              If you are planning to upgrade to the 4.12 plugin version when it is released, then don't worry about it. it will not affect you whatsoever in 4.11
                              Free Community Ocean & Sky Project || Join us on Discord! || Trello Roadmap

Comment

Originally posted by DotCam View Post
                                That has already been fixed in the 4.12 version on GitHub, it's just a deprecated warning.

If you want to fix it yourself (you will need to recompile the plugin) go to Plugins\OceanPlugin\Source\OceanPlugin\ and edit the file named "OceanPlugin.Build.cs" by replacing this line from the ModulePath property:

Code:
                                get { return Path.GetDirectoryName(RulesCompiler.GetModuleFilename(this.GetType().Name)); }
                                with
                                Code:
                                get { return Path.GetDirectoryName(ModuleDirectory); }
                                If you are planning to upgrade to the 4.12 plugin version when it is released, then don't worry about it. it will not affect you whatsoever in 4.11
                                Nice, thank you. I thought I had compared in github but I must have hit 4.10/4.11 or something :|

Comment

Working...
                                X