Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can not for the life of me get this to work (i had it before i updated to 4.10 now i just get .dll missing errors)

Comment

Originally posted by TK-Master View Post
      Wait am I the only non-Canadian in this thread? haha (I'm from Greece)

The light vector for the SSS is updated from BP_Sky (take a look inside the UpdateSun function, second comment box) there is no C++ involved, you should be able to copy that part into Ultra Dynamic Sky bp.
      The reason it is not updated from BP_Ocean is because it won't update in editor when you change the time of day.

The heightmap modulation function that I posted is implemented in the materials (M_Ocean_SSR, M_Ocean_Depth etc.) I believe I posted some instructions
      Thank you TK, I will give it a try today.

Also, I noticed an earlier post that mentioned "caustics" were included in an update.

The underwater view of my ocean is looking good, but no caustics. Can you tell me where this function is located, and is it turned off by default?

I am working on a coastline lagoon level and strong caustics would really sell the biome.

As a note to help others, I used World Machine with the Geoglyph Archipelago macro to create the Lagoon, only it had a bug (can't create a reef), so they sent me an earlier version that worked. Creating a single archipelago level that can be viewed from the air did not work out because I want my ocean to have waves, and waves at this time are uni-directional (looks weird to have waves moving away from the shoreline on the opposite side of a reef or island). I checked out several games, Fallout 4, Just Cause 3, and they all avoid the issue by using flat "lake" water at shorelines. This Ocean water holds up very well, I can recommend it to everyone. If a shoreline swash and backwash option with wet sand material were added, it would look even better.

Once again, great job all you Canadians, and of course TK the Greek! Hilton Athens view of the Acropolis lit up at night is fantastic. Great community project, EPIC please make the Ocean plug-in part of the next engine update. Wasn't Bioshock built with the Unreal Engine?

Thanks for any caustics reply in advanced.

Comment

Originally posted by CrashA51 View Post
        Thank you TK, I will give it a try today.
        I want my ocean to have waves, and waves at this time are uni-directional (looks weird to have waves moving away from the shoreline on the opposite side of a reef or island). I checked out several games, Fallout 4, Just Cause 3, and they all avoid the issue by using flat "lake" water at shorelines. This Ocean water holds up very well, I can recommend it to everyone. If a shoreline swash and backwash option with wet sand material were added, it would look even better.
        Basically, you can use ideas from here: http://outerra.blogspot.nl/2011/02/ocean-rendering.html to get a nice looking shore waves with a right direction and skewness

Comment

Has anyone looked into the new (I think, I dont do materal work except basic texture plugging in) surface per-pixel translucency lighting model versus the current surface translucency? Heres a comparison taken from the same camera angle with stock ocean_ssr material with ocean set to ssr, cubemap, foam

No shadow support yet is the only downside dunno (yet) how that plays into things but I like the look overall playing with it.

Heres an in-game view parellel flat to the surface and from nearly perpendicular above
          Last edited by Nsomnia; 02-22-2016, 02:52 PM.
          Tek LLC a personal Candaian Company running BlenderTek & UnrealTek is currently looking for help to bring back submarine simulator gaming with a new genre of sub sims: Cold War! (1945-1991) Operation: Trident SubSim Dev Diary Thread - Donations

Comment

Wow that looks awesome Nsomnia, how's the perf? Same/more costly?
            Storyteller - An immersive VR audiobook player

Dungeon Survival - WIP First person dungeon crawler with a focus on survival and environmental gameplay ala roguelikes

Comment

You are supposed to use the "r.ForwardLighting 1" console command when using the per-pixel translucency mode, I'm assuming you haven't because it's darker in the screenshot that it would normally be.

But yeah it is a better lighting mode to use but the shader will have to be modified some to better fit that model.. I have a version in the works you can get better specular highlights with that lighting model that does not rely on the skylight capture but the actual sun position (which is going to come in handy for day-night cycles).

Anyways, so I have made a bit of progress today, cleaned up the post process material a bit and fixed a super annoying pixelation issue with the stencil buffer that took me all day to figure out (the order of the depth planes actually matter in the components list.. who would have thought? ).

4.10 Update! -> [Community Project] WIP Weather & Ocean Water Shader
              WIP Interactive Water Shader, WIP 2D Water Sim
              WIP FFT Ocean w/ Foam, Quad-tree Infinite Ocean LOD

Comment

Originally posted by n00854180t View Post
                Wow that looks awesome Nsomnia, how's the perf? Same/more costly?
                Its more costly while using less features so... experimental and as TK said I assume I dont have the proper cmds enabled by default.

/me goes back to prototyping rather than trying to paly with the big boys.

Edit: Excitly going to be checking github daily for commits. And excited to make my first commit to the project one day (as im working on this project full time now its a matter of time before I figure some weather/ocean/landscape etc. stuff out)
                Last edited by Nsomnia; 02-22-2016, 06:47 PM.
                Tek LLC a personal Candaian Company running BlenderTek & UnrealTek is currently looking for help to bring back submarine simulator gaming with a new genre of sub sims: Cold War! (1945-1991) Operation: Trident SubSim Dev Diary Thread - Donations

Comment

Originally posted by Shockwave-peter View Post
                  Basically, you can use ideas from here: http://outerra.blogspot.nl/2011/02/ocean-rendering.html to get a nice looking shore waves with a right direction and skewness
                  Thanks Peter,

I took a look at it, and there was a nice shoreline, but the waves looked more like ripples. Do you think it would be doable with larger waves like these?

Click image for larger version

Name:	wave1.png
Views:	2
Size:	756.9 KB
ID:	1101052

Also, any help on how to turn caustics on, or where to find the function to adjust?

Note: An update to the Ultra_Dynamic_Sky has been released. It appears to solve my SSS issue, not sure. I followed TK's advice, as noted below. It didn't change much but moved the SSS in the wave tops down the shoreline for some reason. I am old (59), and took this up a few years back when my UCSF doctor declared me cured of stage 4 Ampullary cancer after a clinical trial 8 years ago. So please excuse my nube questions. They gave me 2 months to live, and now I am designing a training tool with UE4 and having so much fun it should be against the law. Thank you Epic!

Click image for larger version

Name:	SSS.PNG
Views:	2
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	1101057
                  Attached Files

Comment

Can you elaborate?
                    Without the plugin the infinite plane system won't work in editor and the buoyancy component will have to be re-written in blueprints (it will be a lot slower though).

If you just want the ocean for visuals and don't care about buoyancy then you could migrate the materials.
                    Thanks. Is it possible to download the materials separately?
                    LEGENDS of EPICA [Twitter] [Facebook] [YouTube] [Vimeo]

Comment

Well I found out how to make my entire scene one color with custom stencils... and that scene depth is always less than SceneTexture:CustomStencil

I think I need to find the time one day to follow the material courses I never spent time doing. I can blueprint anything... cant material editor my way out of a box.

Comment

You are almost there, remove the Scene Depth node and replace it with the number of the stencil channel you want to mask (0-255).

4.10 Update! -> [Community Project] WIP Weather & Ocean Water Shader
                        WIP Interactive Water Shader, WIP 2D Water Sim
                        WIP FFT Ocean w/ Foam, Quad-tree Infinite Ocean LOD

Comment

Hi everybody, does anyone tried the plugin with unreal 4.10 ?

Comment

Originally posted by Elseware-Experience View Post
                            Hi everybody, does anyone tried the plugin with unreal 4.10 ?
                            It works fineand someone posted a link to a 4.10 copy where he coded a nice heightmap generation tool for buyoancy on simple meshes. Played with it and keep the source up to date, but sticking with my test points for submarines.

Its source code, it should compile for almost any version.

Comment

You are almost there, remove the Scene Depth node and replace it with the number of the stencil channel you want to mask (0-255).
                              Progress... I think?

Dont know what I'm going to do with a green submarine, somehow allow the textures to show but set the oceandepth mesh to 0 opacity as I have here. Might have to start a thread on this, thought I was going to have to do some fancy coding to find the nearest vert and subdivide til it was close enough to the mesh vert in real time and occlude within the geometry.

Attached Files

Comment

Getting somewhere completely by accident.

This setup leaves the scene asis but the cube with a pink material with stencil index 16 gets turned red!

Comment

Working...
                                X