This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Macw0lf View Post
    Hope someone can help.. I am actually interested in the FishManager more than the ocean.

I was wanting to spawn the Manager in different areas and then destroy it (and associated fish) when the player moved out of the area, and then respawn in the new area, etc. (Basically different areas around an island.) Spawning crashed UE4 and I couldn't get it working, so I added an Enabled boolean to the C++ class, so when it starts up it basically idles until you set Enabled. Added a trigger volume, which turns on it on and off successfully when going in/out. I also loop through all fish actors and destroy them so they don't consume resources while you are on land.

So I thought I had this licked, until I tried to create another BP_FishManager instance somewhere else. It correctly spawns the fish selections chosen, but it spawns them in the ORIGINAL fishmanager location!? Instead of instancing the blueprint, I created a duplicate blueprint for the other location, and each one had it's own instance.. same story.. it's as if the FishManager object when instantiated somehow servers all instances of the blueprint...?!

Can anyone help with this.. it's a very cool addition to my level, and this would really allow me to use it effectively. At worst I will create an entirely new cpp/header if I have too. .but that's a last resort!

Thanks
    Stuart

[ATTACH=CONFIG]52700[/ATTACH]
    Sorry for the late late late late late response. Haven't check this thread in forever, or any of the UE4 threads for that matter. It's been a while, but when I stopped development I was in the process of building FishNode's. Basically you would have one fish manager in the scene, and a large sphere collider on yourself. When your sphere collider hits a FishNode, it spawns the fish type and number specified in the node. When the node moves more than a certain distance away from the sphere it should de-spawn back into a node. This idea was crafted so that you could have many more fish in the game world without having to compute their movement. It would also allow you to create schools of fish that migrate over long distances, or during weather events by moving only one object instead of up to 100's, I'm not sure if I ever got around to the full implementation, but this is the grand idea. I believe when I stopped development I was having issues where if you hit the node, it left the sphere, and you hit the node again in rapid secession it would crash the level editor. Probably a pointer issue, where the spawn is pointing at a memory address that had just been erased. This would need to be solved for it to work correctly.

<3 you all,
    Komo

P.S. Awesome image. Makes me happy to see the fish being used :3
    Last edited by Komodoman; 01-18-2016, 01:51 PM.

Comment

I'm getting back into my project 2 weeks ahead of schedule and I have "Learning C++ Through Unreal Engine 4" on hold at the library (im 5th in line!) has anyone read it is it any good? So I may start coding ocean stuff soon as I start learning more about the C++ API using my uni Java experience.
      Tek LLC a personal Candaian Company running BlenderTek & UnrealTek is currently looking for help to bring back submarine simulator gaming with a new genre of sub sims: Cold War! (1945-1991) Operation: Trident SubSim Dev Diary Thread - Donations

Comment

Originally posted by n00854180t View Post
        A couple of really great articles about buoyancy simulation by one of the programmers for Just Cause 3:
        http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/2...ideo_games.php
        http://gamasutra.com/view/news/26323...mes_Part_2.php
        Oh wow! Part 2 is out! I missed that! Can't wait to give it a shot!

Comment

this really is a grate looking water, was playing around with it today going for that beach look. you cant see in the photos, but reflection that it gives off with the island look grate, and the way the water flows back from the beach, looks grate
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	252.7 KB
ID:	1099190

Name:	Untitled.01.jpg
Size:	306.8 KB
ID:	1099191
          Last edited by WeekendWarrior; 01-22-2016, 07:58 AM.

Comment

That water looks realy professional and good.
            I would almost say its the best water ive seen so far.

Comment

Hi. Can someone tell me the size of latest update?

Comment

I'm third in line at the library for the ue4 cpp book. Gonna try to modify the ocean mesh for boat wakes, bow waves and hurricanes. Any other ideas for cool things to try to code through cpp?
                Tek LLC a personal Candaian Company running BlenderTek & UnrealTek is currently looking for help to bring back submarine simulator gaming with a new genre of sub sims: Cold War! (1945-1991) Operation: Trident SubSim Dev Diary Thread - Donations

Comment

Hey, This project looks awesome.

Question: are there any copyrights the assets of this project. Can i use any of the included models for free?

Comment

Hello everyone!

I just want to say that I loved this project. It really is an incredible work!

Here is a screenshot from a personal game I'm working on using it.

Name:	warislands.jpg
Size:	327.5 KB
ID:	1099249

Thank you DotCam for this awesome project!!
                    Lucas Dieguez
                    Lead Developer | Biduba Version - bidubaversion.com

Comment

I wish Epic would implement this into the engine, like in CryEngine.

Comment

I've made my offical fork of DC's GitHub project https://github.com/Nsomnia/OceanProject

Will be updating and making branches as skills permit. Going to start with learning how to get triangle vert vectors and start modifying them in different ways.

Comment

So first goal I think will be to implement and port anything i can from open source projects available and from papers such as breaking waves and work on boat physics and FX.

Comment

Sorry if this has been asked, but is their any easy way to make "holes" in the ocean plane (In the same way you can make holes in a landscape for creating caves and stuff)? Thankyou!

Comment

Not that I can think of since its not a landscape based water setup like that one game. Youd have to do some shader/texture setups to make the height lower than everything else with no effects or you could tile the ocean down and use multiple tiles with 1+ missing since they tile seamlessly.

Comment

Has anyone had problems with minimap flickering? I see this flicker following my pawn around and showing up on the ocean surface.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnzOCuwIRUA

Comment

Working...
                                X