This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Awesome, thanks for that video. It really helped with getting things to work, when i was first attempting to add buoyancy to my objects, I was following the buoyancy tutorial from Handkor.

After doing it your way without adding the ocean manager class to the level it worked we no hard crash in unreal engine.

Many thanks again. The crashing was driving me nuts

Leave a comment:

• replied
    skywaves I would have to look if in the github history any issue related were fixed, but I have access for the wip version about to be released in few weeks targeting 4.19.2 and it is working fine. See if you are using the steps on this video (I am uploading at the moment) :

Last edited by NilsonLima; 07-03-2018, 05:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by skywaves View Post
    Hi,

First off thanks to all who have contributed to this amazing project.

I've been having a lot of issues trying to get the buoyancy component to work, every time I add buoyancy to something like a simple sphere unreal engine instantly crashes. Not sure why as I can run all the example maps fine without unreal crashing. But every time I try and add buoyancy to a custom object like a basic sphere/cube unreal engine instantly crashes when you press the play button. This happens with all of the various type buoyancy components.

I can add the ocean BP to my scenes just fine with no crashes, but when adding a buoyancy component unreal just crashes on play.

It seems like it's coming from the ocean manager class and I have no idea why. I can also reproduce the crash in the example files by just adding the ocean manager class
    to the level. As soon as I do that and press play unreal will hard crash.

Not sure what I'm missing I've followed the tutorials for setting it up for your own projects and didn't get any errors during the setup. I can add the buoyancy component items fine in blueprints
    setup things up and compile and save the blueprints fine. But on play unreal instantly crashes.

using version 4.19.2 and the latest version of ocean project from github.

Any ideas as to what is causing the crash?

Thanks for any help.

I will check this for you, meanwhile why don't you get in touch with us by Discord. It will make life easier and the amount of ppl online there might cast some light on other issues you may encounter: https://discord.gg/qwESbbW

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi,

First off thanks to all who have contributed to this amazing project.

I've been having a lot of issues trying to get the buoyancy component to work, every time I add buoyancy to something like a simple sphere unreal engine instantly crashes. Not sure why as I can run all the example maps fine without unreal crashing. But every time I try and add buoyancy to a custom object like a basic sphere/cube unreal engine instantly crashes when you press the play button. This happens with all of the various type buoyancy components.

I can add the ocean BP to my scenes just fine with no crashes, but when adding a buoyancy component unreal just crashes on play.

It seems like it's coming from the ocean manager class and I have no idea why. I can also reproduce the crash in the example files by just adding the ocean manager class
    to the level. As soon as I do that and press play unreal will hard crash.

Not sure what I'm missing I've followed the tutorials for setting it up for your own projects and didn't get any errors during the setup. I can add the buoyancy component items fine in blueprints
    setup things up and compile and save the blueprints fine. But on play unreal instantly crashes.

using version 4.19.2 and the latest version of ocean project from github.

Any ideas as to what is causing the crash?

Thanks for any help.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Estebantr View Post
    Can i use this in my project ? , and how can i copy this without breaking the code?
    Yes, you can use in your projects, it is free. You are only forbidden to modify it and resell it in source form, please check the license file attached into GitHub.

As for copying without breaking you can refer to this video, with a step-by-step. Just know that this is a C++ plugin & Blueprint asset, so you will need Microsoft Visual Studio installed to make things easier. The video:

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Can i use this in my project ? , and how can i copy this without breaking the code?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by NilsonLima View Post

Finally I figured it out

I have tried to make a project from scratch and the surprise is that i got exactly no underwater effect but only the wet lens effect as you did... and then I remembered that the only difference between those two effects was that one is the whole screen while the other need a special depth pass... which I confirmed opening the material to be a custom stencil.

So to fix you need to go to the project settings and set Custom-Depth Stencil Pass to: Enabled with Stencil

It could also be avoided if we both have copied the Config.ini file and overwritten the new project.

Cheers!
    The underwater material cannot be seen in this map of OceanStorm. The settings are the same as you say and are valid in other maps.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by DotCam View Post

Actually you don't need to worry about it if you have a BP_Underwater actor in your level and have both the Ocean and Swim Volumes set, you can even set it up so the swim volume follows your character around by enabling it in the BP_Underwater details panel. The BP_Underwater actor will automatically set the swim volume to the same level as the ocean surface.

Just make sure these 2 are set and the Swim Volume extends far enough in your level (or enable the option to have it follow player)
    Click image for larger version Name:	bpunderwater.JPG Views:	1 Size:	185.1 KB ID:	1493252

On a side note, there has been a simple fix for a performance gain added to BP_Underwater to prevent it from performing things like the follow and visual updates on Tick unless the character is near the water, it will be in the next update (which will be out very soon!).
    Superb, thanks Mr DotCam!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by jazz75 View Post
    Yes that's exactly what I mean thanks. So if I also want the third person character to appear to swim in the sea would I also have to place and raise/lower a "WaterSwimVolume" so that the top of it aligns exactly with the top of the BP_Ocean object?
    Actually you don't need to worry about it if you have a BP_Underwater actor in your level and have both the Ocean and Swim Volumes set, you can even set it up so the swim volume follows your character around by enabling it in the BP_Underwater details panel. The BP_Underwater actor will automatically set the swim volume to the same level as the ocean surface.

Just make sure these 2 are set and the Swim Volume extends far enough in your level (or enable the option to have it follow player)
    Click image for larger version  Name:	bpunderwater.JPG Views:	1 Size:	185.1 KB ID:	1493252

On a side note, there has been a simple fix for a performance gain added to BP_Underwater to prevent it from performing things like the follow and visual updates on Tick unless the character is near the water, it will be in the next update (which will be out very soon!).

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by DotCam View Post

If you are referring to the level of the water in your level, just to align it with your landscape, simply select the BP_Ocean actor in level and raise it up using the "move" gizmo.

Is that what you mean?
    Yes that's exactly what I mean thanks. So if I also want the third person character to appear to swim in the sea would I also have to place and raise/lower a "WaterSwimVolume" so that the top of it aligns exactly with the top of the BP_Ocean object?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by jazz75 View Post
    How do you change the sea level please?
    If you are referring to the level of the water in your level, just to align it with your landscape, simply select the BP_Ocean actor in level and raise it up using the "move" gizmo.

Is that what you mean?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    How do you change the sea level please?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by CrashA51 View Post
    Well, lets tell the whole story, before we destroy someone with a promising future here....
    I want this crystal clear:
    I sent DotCam a copy of OceanX, and he verified it's nearly a 1:1 copy of the ocean shader. Down to the comments by DotCam.
    "cause it is not only "inspired" by this project, it is a direct rip off, uses the same meshes, the material functions are the same, even the comments inside the materials are the same"
    Not to mention we are noticing copied parts from Theokoles plugins, particularly the buoyancy.
    Jonathan has a CURRENT copy of OceanXY on gumroad that is also a near copy, please help report this here: http://help.gumroad.com/contact-us!

This is not a dead project, and tons of work has been put in for a future release. And before anyone argues some fine detail, remember the spirit of this project. FREE
    You want to sell it as part of your game? Fine, but don't stitch a bunch of stuff together and claim it yours!

Now for this plug-in and NeOcean ...
    NeOcean looked good, really good, on a par with this plug-in I would say... ...Jonathan may have borrowed and built upon a foundation of other's work, but...
    Lets be clear again, there is no but. If you improve this plugin, keep to the spirit of the project. Help this project. (You don't have to, but don't sell it as yours)

EPIC shares some of the responsibility. The Marketplace review process failed. They could have told him what to change, and he would have complied. Jonathan was only following their direction and Marketplace release process.
    Excuse me? They can't go cross comparing a new asset to every forum thread or project. Thats insane, what they can do, is reject the obvious, and review when reported.
    And complied? If he removed all the copied content, there would be nothing usuable left.

And now, we are back where we started years ago. And I suspect, if I check back in two years, we will be on page 290 of the forum, and still no BP implementation of this or any other full feature Ocean water... because the first person that tries, even someone like TK, and the other sellers will run to EPIC, and have it pulled.
    There is a reason DotCam moved it out of BP into c++, the same reason the weather simulator got pulled out of BP and back into c++.
    The same reason NeOcean was going to go c++ FFT and Physical C ++
    https://gumroad.com/l/NeOcean
    Also, EPIC does not remove content from the market place because another seller CLAIMS infringment. (DotCam isn't even selling it, so "sellers" is the wrong term) but after they can CONFIRM infringment (Wasn't hard to do, the repo has been up way before Jonathan's stuff came out)
    Also, don't blame epic, GumRoad removed NeOcean too!
    Last edited by EvoPulseGaming; 06-22-2018, 06:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Nice plugin. I got it to work with world composition but it doesn't save properly because when I reload the editor all of the objects in the World Outliner that are relating to this plugin that I created in my previous session are no longer there. Also I couldnt figure out how to change the water level to something a bit lower. Best regards, James.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi, i just downloaded this recently and it looks very good, but how can i trigger the 2D Wave effect? The ThirdPerson Character can step on it and create Waves

Leave a comment:

Working...
X