Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im having trouble with loading the OceanDemo. It stops at Initalizing (9%).
    Heres my projectfolder-setup:
    System
    ASUS ROG Maximus IX Forumla - ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1080 8GB - G.Skill RGB 16GB, Samsung M2 500GB

ArtStation
    Artwork thread

Comment

Originally posted by Frequia
      Im having trouble with loading the OceanDemo. It stops at Initalizing (9%).
      Heres my projectfolder-setup: [ATTACH=CONFIG]21596[/ATTACH]
      Which version of the engine are you trying to load it in? I created that project in version 4.5.1, but it will work in the newer versions as well. All you should need to do is UnZip it to a folder and run the shortcut.

If you can't get the demo to work, try copying the ProjectName\Content\Ocean folder into a new project's Content folder, then open the project. You should see the Ocean folder in the content browser, select it and then drag the "BP_OceanSystem" into your level.

Hope that helps
      Free Community Ocean & Sky Project || Join us on Discord! || Trello Roadmap

Comment

That worked! Thanks And this is the toonish-water I have tried to create for a couple of days:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	1064847
        Last edited by ÅsmundSchei; 01-04-2015, 06:26 PM.
        System
        ASUS ROG Maximus IX Forumla - ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1080 8GB - G.Skill RGB 16GB, Samsung M2 500GB

ArtStation
        Artwork thread

Comment

Originally posted by Frequia View Post
          That worked! Thanks And this is the toonish-water I have tried to create for a couple of days:
          Add in a skylight to your level, you will get a MUCH more realistic looking ocean, it allows for some reflections and increases the specularity.

Here is what mine looks like with the above mentioned settings:

Name:	0before.PNG
Views:	2
Size:	932.9 KB
ID:	1064849

****EDIT****
          Does it look like your image after the shaders have been compiled or does it look more like the image I attached above? Once the shaders are compiled does it look better?

****EDIT 2****

If you are going for a toon shader look then I guess you don't want it too look super realistic...

You don't even really need transparency if you are going for a toon syle look, I'll test out some ideas on that soon and see if I can make a separate shader that works the same, but has a toon style look. Let me know if you need any help getting it to look just right, there are a lot of parameters to adjust which can make it confusing... So feel free to PM or add a post here anytime
          Attached Files
          Last edited by DotCam; 01-04-2015, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Yeah, I know the shaders arent compiled, I just took a screenshot to show the water I have tried to create the last week. Its this water Im trying to recreate with your system

Name:	Princess_Peach_s_Castle_Courtyard_SM64.jpg
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	1064881
            I also have a little problem: The water dissapears when I hit "play from here". Im using the third-person template. The player spawns just fine and everything, but the water is gone.
            EDIT: By the way, I subscribed to your thread
            Attached Files
            Last edited by ÅsmundSchei; 01-05-2015, 04:23 PM.
            System

ArtStation
            Artwork thread

Comment

If anyone here is familiar with Hankor's mathematical ocean tutorial, and was able to replicate it successfully, I could use some help finding what's causing this issue: Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenShot_20150102140850.png
Size:	478.7 KB
ID:	1064890Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenShot_20150105133645.jpeg
Size:	201.8 KB
ID:	1064891Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenShot_20150105133719.jpeg
Size:	210.9 KB
ID:	1064892

Comment

Have anyone tested this in the 4.7 perview?
                System

ArtStation
                Artwork thread

Comment

Originally posted by Edkenway View Post
                  If anyone here is familiar with Hankor's mathematical ocean tutorial, and was able to replicate it successfully, I could use some help finding what's causing this issue:
                  Hey there, sorry for the delay, had a huge ice storm knock out power for 2 days.

It is hard to tell from the images what is causing that look, if you could zip up a copy of the project and upload it to DropBox or other similar site and then PM me the link I will certainly take a look for you! Or if you could PM me some more images showing the Gerstner formula & Cluster I can try and figure it out for you. It's most likely an issue with the Gerstner formula itself, or the values you have set for the WaveLength/Amplitude/Steepness values in the Gerstner Cluster.

Comment

Have anyone tested this in the 4.7 perview?
                    Hey Frequia,

Yes I have and can report that 4.7 Preview 1 does not work due to an engine problem preventing MaterialParameterCollections from working. Good news is that 4.7 Preview 2 has this fixed and it will work perfectly. I managed to download it yesterday before it was pulled from the launcher due to a major issue that needs to be fixed before release. It should be up on the launcher within the next couple of days, so wait for that before upgrading if you have the Ocean in your project.

EDIT: 4.7 Preview #2 was just released! Download it from the launcher and you can use this material in 4.7
                    Last edited by DotCam; 01-08-2015, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Hey DotCam, do you have any bouyancy implementation time in mind? its just for record, Im interested in what youre doing

Keep up the good work
                      [MARKETPLACE] The forest like gameplay system | building/crafting game
                      Dark Souls 2 fighting system style
                      Drivable Space Ship
                      Run Knight Run | 48h game made
                      Unreal Travel | 48h game made

Comment

Originally posted by Nesjett View Post
                        Hey DotCam, do you have any bouyancy implementation time in mind? its just for record, Im interested in what youre doing

Keep up the good work
                        IT WORKS! I just got Buoyancy working!!! Woohoo!!!

I need to do a bit more polishing and test it out with a few different objects with different shapes, but it actually works! Man I am so happy right now. I will try to model a simple boat and some other shapes for you guys to play around with.

Expect a new release WITH buoyancy in a couple of days!

Thank you so much Handkor in case you read this, I had to brush up on my C++ skills for a couple of weeks and learn the API (and coding conventions), but I finally figured it all out. Your BuoyancyComponent works great! I plan on modifying it a bit to automatically detect the shape of the object for the test points, with adjustable COM and weight of the object to increase or decrease the displacement of the object (for example the draft on a ship).

And thank you everyone for your patience on this, sorry it has taken so long... I'm finally able to work on this again so stay tuned!
                        Last edited by DotCam; 01-09-2015, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Looking forward to that! This is the most complex watersystem I`ve ever seen in any game-engine.
                          EDIT: Will you add underwater-effects as well?
                          Last edited by ÅsmundSchei; 01-09-2015, 06:49 PM.
                          System

ArtStation
                          Artwork thread

Comment

Looking forward to that! This is the most complex watersystem I`ve ever seen in any game-engine.
                            EDIT: Will you add underwater-effects as well?
                            Thank you for saying that, but it is nowhere near as complete as it needs to be, it will get much more complex before I'm happy with it. The new (upcoming) release will be Alpha ver 0.2 since it will be a major update, but still lots more work to do to get to version 1.0! I have had to move Buoyancy (and a few other things) to code, Buoyancy had to be done that way, but I have also moved quite a bit of the Tick code from the blueprints over to code as well. So far it is performing really well! Adding in buoyancy has not had any impact on performance! You still control all of the features from a blueprint, but the logic has been moved out.

As far as underwater effects go, I have a partial solution that is already implemented and will be released in the coming days as well as buoyancy. These include swimming, underwater camera effects, water on the camera lens effects, some bubble particles, etc. I need to add a couple more pieces, but it should be a great starting point for expanding upon to suit your game's needs. Now that the major issues are dealt with, stuff like this will get updates much quicker.

Ahh man I am just so pumped!!! Spent weeks on buoyancy getting nowhere and now suddenly it just works... BOOM!! haha love it
                            Last edited by DotCam; 01-09-2015, 07:51 PM. Reason: clarified what already implemented means

Comment

Great to hear this DotCam, but I have a suggestion for you, I think you should release separated demo projects, one for the water like now, and other where you will add the swim capabilities.

I say this because its probable that some people doesnt want to have a swimable water

Just a suggestion!
                              Last edited by Nesjett; 01-10-2015, 12:04 PM.
                              [MARKETPLACE] The forest like gameplay system | building/crafting game
                              Dark Souls 2 fighting system style
                              Drivable Space Ship
                              Run Knight Run | 48h game made
                              Unreal Travel | 48h game made

Comment

Originally posted by DotCam View Post
                                IT WORKS! I just got Buoyancy working!!! Woohoo!!!

I need to do a bit more polishing and test it out with a few different objects with different shapes, but it actually works! Man I am so happy right now. I will try to model a simple boat and some other shapes for you guys to play around with.

Expect a new release WITH buoyancy in a couple of days!

Thank you so much Handkor in case you read this, I had to brush up on my C++ skills for a couple of weeks and learn the API (and coding conventions), but I finally figured it all out. Your BuoyancyComponent works great! I plan on modifying it a bit to automatically detect the shape of the object for the test points, with adjustable COM and weight of the object to increase or decrease the displacement of the object (for example the draft on a ship).

And thank you everyone for your patience on this, sorry it has taken so long... I'm finally able to work on this again so stay tuned!
                                Any progress with that update?

Comment

Working...
                                X