[Community Project] WIP Weather & Ocean Water Shader

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TK-Master View Post
    Personally I'm not that interested in submitting this into the marketplace (github allows for instant updates etc.) but if there is demand for it and Epic improves the submitting process then maybe we can work something out in the future once the project is more polished and "marketplace worthy"
    you could ask Epic about it, since it's would be Free and is a community project, they could make an exception about the whole market place thing. I also think it could be a way to get it out to more people to test the plug-in, since there are people that use the engine but don't use the forum, and Epic does make a blog when projects catch their eyes

Comment

Personally I'm not that interested in submitting this into the marketplace (github allows for instant updates etc.) but if there is demand for it and Epic improves the submitting process then maybe we can work something out in the future once the project is more polished and "marketplace worthy"
      -----------------------------

Question: Are you guys still having troubles with packaging?

Question #2: What would you like to see next? (choose one)

1) Improve the sky system - Better clouds, correct sun/moon orbits based on time of year, seasons, weather etc.

2) Improve the map - Island terrain with docks, vegetation, wet map, and better transition/fade the wave amplitude near the shore (I might be able to feed the terrain heightmap to the ocean shader and buoyancy system).

3) Keep improving the ocean shader - Stormy ocean, add setting presets (calm, rough etc. maybe Beaufort scale), add more gerstner waves option (currently the shader is using only 8 waves but a 16 or 32 version could improve the look with "acceptable" performance hit)
      Sorry I havn't tried packaging my studio is very tight knit and were still in PIE stages.

I'd say 3. Thats what sets it apart. We have TrueSky and the sky looks great as is and anyone with enough time can creat their own time of year setup which could affect the weather if its exposed to BP's. The map.... anyone using the stock map setup is just playing around with game ideas, once they get into their own terrain would that stuff really apply?

Just my thoughts.

Comment

-----------------------------

Question: Are you guys still having troubles with packaging?

Question #2: What would you like to see next? (choose one)

1) Improve the sky system - Better clouds, correct sun/moon orbits based on time of year, seasons, weather etc.

2) Improve the map - Island terrain with docks, vegetation, wet map, and better transition/fade the wave amplitude near the shore (I might be able to feed the terrain heightmap to the ocean shader and buoyancy system).

3) Keep improving the ocean shader - Stormy ocean, add setting presets (calm, rough etc. maybe Beaufort scale), add more gerstner waves option (currently the shader is using only 8 waves but a 16 or 32 version could improve the look with "acceptable" performance hit)
        Posted with my 2ndary account accidently logged in. #3 for sure. Thats what drew me into this project to start.

Havn't tried packaging it yet, sorry TK, cant develop as fast as you release!
        Tek LLC a personal Candaian Company running BlenderTek & UnrealTek is currently looking for help to bring back submarine simulator gaming with a new genre of sub sims: Cold War! (1945-1991) Operation: Trident SubSim Dev Diary Thread - Donations

Comment

• Hello

I have a problem with the dynamic ocean. The ocean spawns and I can see the texture of it moving, but there isn't a difference in wave height (it's just a flat surfaces).
          I followed the tutorial about how to add it to your project.

Does anyone know how to fix it?

Thanks and I'm sorry if this is an frequently asked question.
          Check out my ARK Mod Play As Dino!

Comment

• The Sky is not updating for me.. But then again I can't complile it I get the error below, anyone got a clue?

Info Location: C:\Users\Thomas\Documents\Unreal Projects\Desolate_Pandora\Intermediate\Build\BuildRules\Desolate_Pandora_EditorRecompileModuleRules.dll
            Info ERROR: Couldn't find target rules file for target 'Desolate_Pandora' in rules assembly 'Desolate_Pandora_EditorRecompileModuleRules, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.
            Info Target rules found:
            Info UE4Game - C:\Program Files\Epic Games\4.8\Engine\Source\UE4Game.Target.cs
            Info UE4Editor - C:\Program Files\Epic Games\4.8\Engine\Source\UE4Editor.Target.cs
            Info

Comment

• Could you tell me please how to change Time of a Day throw custom event???
              Example - I press "1" set default Hour to 12.0
              Could you make screenshots of a scheme or Video or description Please???

Comment

• Get a reference to BP_skydome. Use it as a getter in your BP, then drag off it and Set defaulthour = 0-24

You could for example Go KeyEvent(1) -> GetAllActorsOfClass(BP_Skydome) -> Get(0) -> set defaultHour(12.0)
                Tek LLC a personal Candaian Company running BlenderTek & UnrealTek is currently looking for help to bring back submarine simulator gaming with a new genre of sub sims: Cold War! (1945-1991) Operation: Trident SubSim Dev Diary Thread - Donations

Comment

• I vote for 3, and then 2.

It looks like we are able to flesh out the weather/lighting system on our own and can plug in the lights to the ocean.
                  \\VANGUARD INTERACTIVE

Marketplace - Action RPG Inventory System | Multiplayer TopDown Kit | Advanced Social System
                  Multiplayer TopDown Kit Tutorials - Merging The Action RPG Inventory System | Removing the Fog of War
                  Action RPG Inventory Tutorials - Merging Into Your Project | Adding New Items | FPS Controls w/ UI Mode Toggle

Comment

• Hey, I tried rebuilding the OceanPlugin with my source built UE4 but I seem to be missing some include file or something because there's a couple of dependencies that can't be identified:

Error error C3861: 'P2UVector': identifier not found OceanProject-4.8\Plugins\OceanPlugin\Source\OceanPlugin\Private\BuoyantDestructible.cpp 74
                    Error error C3861: 'P2UVector': identifier not found OceanProject-4.8\Plugins\OceanPlugin\Source\OceanPlugin\Private\BuoyantDestructible.cpp 95
                    Error error C2228: left of '.Z' must have class/struct/union OceanProject-4.8\Plugins\OceanPlugin\Source\OceanPlugin\Private\BuoyantDestructible.cpp 100
                    Error error C3861: 'P2UVector': identifier not found OceanProject-4.8\Plugins\OceanPlugin\Source\OceanPlugin\Private\BuoyantDestructible.cpp 100
                    Error error C2228: left of '.GetSafeNormal' must have class/struct/union OceanProject-4.8\Plugins\OceanPlugin\Source\OceanPlugin\Private\BuoyantDestructible.cpp 127
                    Error error C3861: 'P2UVector': identifier not found OceanProject-4.8\Plugins\OceanPlugin\Source\OceanPlugin\Private\BuoyantDestructible.cpp 127

I tried googling around a little but did not find any solutions. I don't know what P2UVector is but it appeared to be connected with PhysX so I went into The PhysX and APEX solutions, built those and then tried rebuilding the engine. Didn't change a thing. What am I missing here?

Comment

• What are you trying to do exactly? all the includes are there so not sure why you would be getting these errors

this should be in BuoyantDestructible.cpp
                      // PhysX
                      #include "PhysXIncludes.h"
                      #include "PhysicsPublic.h"
                      and these should be in the build.cs public dependency modules
                      PublicDependencyModuleNames.AddRange(new string[] { "Engine", "Core", "CoreUObject", "InputCore", "PhysX", "APEX" });

4.10 Update! -> [Community Project] WIP Weather & Ocean Water Shader
                      WIP Interactive Water Shader, WIP 2D Water Sim
                      WIP FFT Ocean w/ Foam, Quad-tree Infinite Ocean LOD

Comment

• No dynamic ocean?
                        I have the 4.8 update now, but I the watersurface is still flat. Maybe it is my computer (which isn't so fast) or something else?

PS: I saw a man o' war model in game with working cannons. I'm making a game right now, also with ships and did almost the same thing. Are you planning on making more ships and prirate-like things?

Comment

• Do you need screenshots?
                          Last edited by Finntastic; 06-29-2015, 10:37 AM. Reason: Forgot to say it earlier

Comment

• Hi Finntastic, you mean it's flat even in the example map? I don't know why that would be.

Perhaps your graphics card doesn't support tessellation?

What hardware are you using? which version of the editor (win, linux, mac?)?

Comment

• Yes, also on the example map. I don't know if my grafics card supports it. I'm using version 4.8 (both editor and plugin) and teh computer is running on windows.

Edited:
                              I can see the objects go up and down, but the ocean doesn't, so it something with rendering and grafics.
                              Last edited by Finntastic; 06-29-2015, 11:20 AM. Reason: Did some test

Comment

• So my only guess is that your graphics card does not support DX11 (Shader Model 5) and therefore no tessellation (maybe it's time for upgrade ).

Click image for larger version

Name:	SM5.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	194.9 KB
ID:	1080902

There are ways to make it work with SM4 however, it might not look as good but better than flat I guess

Open the following materials: M_Ocean, M_Ocean_SSR & M_Ocean_Depth (found under Ocean/Materials/M_Ocean_Versions folder)
                                And disconnect whatever goes to World Displacement, plug it into World Position Offset and save.

Comment

Working...
                                X