Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Community Project] WIP Weather & Ocean Water Shader

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by Darkkitten View Post
    i do have Source for my project..
    Hmm then I'm not sure what it could be.. which branch of the plugin are you using? I'm pretty sure that I have successfully packaged my branch at least.

    Originally posted by Tom_LeFx View Post
    @TK-Master:
    You wrote, that the SSR are noise. Have you set their quality up to 100? It's 50 by default. Settings are in the post process volume of the scene.
    That usually improves their look, although i'd really like to see some "real" water shaders...or translucent shaders in general that support things like....shadows...or any kind of depth-based information. The current implementation looks like OpenGL from the 90s.
    With that in mind, your results look pretty amazing in regards to what little possibilities you had to achieve them!
    Unfortunately the quality setting does not seem to affect the ocean's SSR. It's not the same screen space reflections that you can get with opaque materials, maybe there is a new setting hidden somewhere that can be adjusted in the ini's (unlikely).
    Hopefully it's early WIP and Epic improves this (but I wouldn't hold my breath for it )

    4.10 Update! -> [Community Project] WIP Weather & Ocean Water Shader
    WIP Interactive Water Shader, WIP 2D Water Sim
    WIP FFT Ocean w/ Foam, Quad-tree Infinite Ocean LOD

    Comment


      Hey there TK-Master. You've got a pretty good looking ocean there. I've been experimenting with it for a little while now and have been trying to bring over features from my old water material over to yours. One thing in particular is giving me some grief, and that's getting foamy caps on top of waves.

      I was using multiple panning displacement maps in order to get the waves in my original material and then referenced those textures to place the foamy caps onto the waves. It appears this exact method will not work in your setup from what I've tried. Any help on on some kind of workaround or pointing me in the right direction would be awesome. Here's a screenshot of my original setup and how I was getting the foamy caps.

      Youtube Channel - A Quick Uncharted 3 Inspired Desert Scene in Unreal Engine 4

      Portfolio - https://www.artstation.com/artist/jackm

      Comment


        I just found this thread and the work you guys are doing is amazing. It's perfect for a little pet project my friend and I have been thinking of working on.

        I must ask, is it possible to implement reactive water? Like if I was driving a boat through the ocean would it be possible to have the ocean react around it?

        Comment


          Originally posted by Jack M. View Post
          Hey there TK-Master. You've got a pretty good looking ocean there. I've been experimenting with it for a little while now and have been trying to bring over features from my old water material over to yours. One thing in particular is giving me some grief, and that's getting foamy caps on top of waves.

          I was using multiple panning displacement maps in order to get the waves in my original material and then referenced those textures to place the foamy caps onto the waves. It appears this exact method will not work in your setup from what I've tried. Any help on on some kind of workaround or pointing me in the right direction would be awesome. Here's a screenshot of my original setup and how I was getting the foamy caps.
          There you go:
          It's not perfect like GTA V but it kinda works

          Comment


            Hey, is there a good way to use these boats as pawns that players can control?

            Comment


              Hey, i am using version 4.7.6, and have compiled the addon into my project, i can see the addon is enabled. Though i can't find the bp_ocean system?
              did i miss something?
              This is my first time using the addon, im not even sure if im looking in the correct spot... can someone please shed some light in a few quick steps on how to get it working.

              Btw you guys have done some amazing work!
              keep it up
              Thanks for your time

              Comment


                I have managed to get a better underwater transition!!!

                Time to perfect it!
                Attached Files

                Comment


                  Originally posted by TK-Master View Post
                  Yeah openGL is limited to 13 samples according to the 4.6 release notes.
                  There are ways to reduce texture sample count so it shouldn't be a problem I will try to optimize it a bit for the 4.8 plugin release.
                  Right now it's not optimized at all when it comes to texture samples.

                  I think there is also a switch node so we could have different nodes depending on directx, openGL etc. we will see.
                  According to one of the devs its a bug that OpenGL4 does not support the more the 16 samples limit. I don't know anything about OpenGL/GLSL/HLSL/hlscc to try to fix it my self so I am stuck for now.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by Tin Le View Post
                    There you go:
                    It's not perfect like GTA V but it kinda works
                    Nice thanks for sharing is the foam setup from Epic's water material? I was meaning to take a look at that

                    Originally posted by mr_abomination View Post
                    Hey, is there a good way to use these boats as pawns that players can control?
                    Hmm the example boat blueprint is already drivable and posses-able

                    Originally posted by raph.jod View Post
                    Hey, i am using version 4.7.6, and have compiled the addon into my project, i can see the addon is enabled. Though i can't find the bp_ocean system?
                    did i miss something?
                    This is my first time using the addon, im not even sure if im looking in the correct spot... can someone please shed some light in a few quick steps on how to get it working.

                    Btw you guys have done some amazing work!
                    keep it up
                    Thanks for your time
                    Sounds like you just added the plugin. You also need the content stuff not just the plugin folder
                    You should check the example project and map. I guess it can get a little complicated to add the ocean to another project.

                    Originally posted by Tin Le View Post
                    I have managed to get a better underwater transition!!!

                    Time to perfect it!
                    Oh that's really cool! I would love to see how you managed to do that when you perfect it

                    4.10 Update! -> [Community Project] WIP Weather & Ocean Water Shader
                    WIP Interactive Water Shader, WIP 2D Water Sim
                    WIP FFT Ocean w/ Foam, Quad-tree Infinite Ocean LOD

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by TK-Master View Post
                      Hmm the example boat blueprint is already drivable and posses-able
                      hmm, I can't seem to find that. Is it in one of the 'new project' presets or something?

                      Edit: Never mind, I found it

                      This may have been asked already, but is there a way to have no direction for the waves, just to have them drift in various directions and not just one?
                      Last edited by mr_abomination; 06-02-2015, 10:44 PM.

                      Comment


                        Thank you Tin Le, you are awesome!
                        Youtube Channel - A Quick Uncharted 3 Inspired Desert Scene in Unreal Engine 4

                        Portfolio - https://www.artstation.com/artist/jackm

                        Comment


                          Here's my semi-completed ocean.



                          To separate the underwater with the world I used this technique called "localized post process". You can take a look at it here: http://oliverm-h.blogspot.de/2014/08...s-effects.html

                          I also used the gerstner information in our original ocean as the volume size so it will relatively match the water surface. The rest is just some hacky setup for the fog.

                          Comment


                            Hey guys!

                            The progress looks awesome. Sorry that I have been absent recently. I've been moving into a new apartment, graduating, attending my bro's wedding, and starting a new job XD! Suffice to say it's been busy for me, but I do plan to continue working on the fish once I get my first paycheck. I need to purchase a machine that can run UE4 since I can no longer use my college's computer lab. If any of you have suggestions for a good PC for running UE4 pm me !

                            Cheers,
                            Komodo

                            Comment


                              im trying to build this on 4.8 preview, but its failing.

                              Are you guys going to update to work with 4.8 any time soon?

                              Comment


                                So I've been trying to make Gerstner waves in blueprint for a bit (I'm not using the plugin itself, just using it for learning purposes). You may have guessed from my earlier posts that I'm not really great at this (I'm more on the art side of things), but after a lot of trial and error and headbanging I got objects bobbing up and down to waves. They're just not the right waves. The inputs are all the same as in my material, but I kinda figured that wouldn't be enough.Click image for larger version

Name:	npZHiSE.png
Views:	1
Size:	244.6 KB
ID:	1079515

                                Pic related is my function. Any help/advice you could offer would be appreciated. Thanks again for being cool and making this. It's been a lot of fun to play with/poke around.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X