This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tea-Rexx View Post
    ah ok cool, ill have a look at it tonight, tho im still learning C++ but i know blueprints, might get a friend to help with this
    Yeah its not easy just doable I might have overstated it. I know how to program basic C++ and have a background in C# but the unreal API the whole USTRUCT and UPROPERTY and FVector and stuff is confusing until you know exactly what it does (which I dont) plus as far I know you have to write the code, compile it, then you find out that missed a single semi-colon or a closing curly bracket and have to find the error, re-compile and then hope you got it right. Every. Single. Time. You want to make a change.
    Tek LLC a personal Candaian Company running BlenderTek & UnrealTek is currently looking for help to bring back submarine simulator gaming with a new genre of sub sims: Cold War! (1945-1991) Operation: Trident SubSim Dev Diary Thread - Donations

Comment

Hey sorry for double posting, (2 days bump isnt that bad) anyways something I noticed. It might be our pivot point is offcenter a hair, it might happen to any floating object that isnt perfectly mirrored down an axis, or it might be the code but with our current setup your boat will roll or flip over eventually if you dont have your test points tweaked perfectly. You may think thats not happening to me well I made a check of the pitch and roll of our boats on the surface and our subs, it didnt mater surface boats and submersibles both had this happen:

You may think 4 test points in an equal square around your floating actor say (400,1000,0) (400,-1000,0) (-400,1000,0) (-400,-1000,0) would lead to a perfectly stable boat in perfectly flat seas. Again this may just be inaccuracies due to float not being accurate enough, the physics engine, our meshes, maya, blender, UE the code it could be anything but a perfect rectangle/square 4 point test point setup will SLOWLY roll and pitch (and maybe yaw but I havnt checked it out since that wont matter to us) one way or the other constantly, although very slowly. At stock with a setup like above my boat was rolling about 1 degree every 30 minutes and pitching about 1 degree every 45 minutes. So it would take hours to see it visually and this is on a flat calm ocean plane, of course its gonna roll and pitch in moving seas.

Anyways, by offseting the left and front side test points using the divide by 2 method (inital value is 1000 you try 1500 and its too much so you try 1250 and its now going the other way so you try 1375 and so on and so forth until you reach the floats max accuracy I was able to get it to be perfectly stable in flat seas. With about 30 minutes of tweaking 3 test points I was able to get the pitch down to 0.001 degrees every 5-10 minutes or so and the roll about 0.001 degrees every 3-5 minutes or so.

If anyone else has this happen and it will affect their game, let me know I can make a quick video showing why its happening. (PS I havn't tried the stay upright constraight yet to see if that helps too, gotta see exactly what it does first).

This really would only be an issue if you intend to have something floating for hours or like us have a time compression system so that hours and days go by in minutes of game time and I would GUESS (no evidence to back it up) that something mirrored perfeclty in all axis' like a cube or sphere wouldnt run into this issue.

Edit: Under more investigaiton its the mesh. Make sure your root joint is placed well or any submersibles will pitch/yaw/roll on their own
      Last edited by Nsomnia; 04-09-2015, 04:57 PM.
      Tek LLC a personal Candaian Company running BlenderTek & UnrealTek is currently looking for help to bring back submarine simulator gaming with a new genre of sub sims: Cold War! (1945-1991) Operation: Trident SubSim Dev Diary Thread - Donations

Comment

Originally posted by Nsomnia View Post
        Hey sorry for double posting, (2 days bump isnt that bad) anyways something I noticed. It might be our pivot point is offcenter a hair, it might happen to any floating object that isnt perfectly mirrored down an axis, or it might be the code but with our current setup your boat will roll or flip over eventually if you dont have your test points tweaked perfectly. You may think thats not happening to me well I made a check of the pitch and roll of our boats on the surface and our subs, it didnt mater surface boats and submersibles both had this happen:

You may think 4 test points in an equal square around your floating actor say (400,1000,0) (400,-1000,0) (-400,1000,0) (-400,-1000,0) would lead to a perfectly stable boat in perfectly flat seas. Again this may just be inaccuracies due to float not being accurate enough, the physics engine, our meshes, maya, blender, UE the code it could be anything but a perfect rectangle/square 4 point test point setup will SLOWLY roll and pitch (and maybe yaw but I havnt checked it out since that wont matter to us) one way or the other constantly, although very slowly. At stock with a setup like above my boat was rolling about 1 degree every 30 minutes and pitching about 1 degree every 45 minutes. So it would take hours to see it visually and this is on a flat calm ocean plane, of course its gonna roll and pitch in moving seas.

Anyways, by offseting the left and front side test points using the divide by 2 method (inital value is 1000 you try 1500 and its too much so you try 1250 and its now going the other way so you try 1375 and so on and so forth until you reach the floats max accuracy I was able to get it to be perfectly stable in flat seas. With about 30 minutes of tweaking 3 test points I was able to get the pitch down to 0.001 degrees every 5-10 minutes or so and the roll about 0.001 degrees every 3-5 minutes or so.

If anyone else has this happen and it will affect their game, let me know I can make a quick video showing why its happening. (PS I havn't tried the stay upright constraight yet to see if that helps too, gotta see exactly what it does first).

This really would only be an issue if you intend to have something floating for hours or like us have a time compression system so that hours and days go by in minutes of game time and I would GUESS (no evidence to back it up) that something mirrored perfeclty in all axis' like a cube or sphere wouldnt run into this issue.

Edit: Under more investigaiton its the mesh. Make sure your root joint is placed well or any submersibles will pitch/yaw/roll on their own
        I replaced the mesh as the parent, with a block of roughly so same volume and made the sub a child of that and just turned the block invisible. Now its working fine and does not throw it out of wack.. Its the mesh for some reason throwing it off.

Comment

Hey guys so I have a question regarding the time of day settings for the day night cycle. The default Hour - is it a 12 hour clock or 24 hour? It seems if I punch in 12 I get noon and if I punch in 1 I get 1am. If its a 12 hour time, how do you specify am or pm?
          -TorQueMoD
          www.torquemod.com

Comment

Originally posted by Komodoman View Post
            HOW? :O Please, this looks incredible.

Comment

Originally posted by TorQueMoD View Post
              Hey guys so I have a question regarding the time of day settings for the day night cycle. The default Hour - is it a 12 hour clock or 24 hour? It seems if I punch in 12 I get noon and if I punch in 1 I get 1am. If its a 12 hour time, how do you specify am or pm?
              Its a 24 hour clock 0001 should get you one minuite past midnight and 1301 should get you 1:01 pm. You can see in the construction script of BP skydome DefaultHour which is probably the hour your playing with is clamped between 0.0f and 24.0f (then multiplied by 60.0f to get currentMinute)

If youd like some more information on the ToD system search for what it was built off search for "Gregdumb's time-of-day skydome blueprint, version 1.2! Created with Unreal Engine 4.2.1."

Comment

Originally posted by GlitchSack View Post
                You can see pretty much the same efffect just by playing with the stock public settings in BP_Ocean BP_Skydome and spawning a bunch of fish. You'll want to make a nice terrain using the "M_Sand" mat so you dont see the edge of it but I think you can pull off some beauty shots stock if you wanted.

Comment

Seems like I have to fight my way through a bunch of engine bugs to make multiplayer ships work properly as if network jittering, replication, per-poly collision and third person pawn rotation wasn't enough

https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...cle-after-exit
                  https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...amera-bug.html

Apparently no one ever tried to make a multiplayer ship in third person before

4.10 Update! -> [Community Project] WIP Weather & Ocean Water Shader
                  WIP Interactive Water Shader, WIP 2D Water Sim
                  WIP FFT Ocean w/ Foam, Quad-tree Infinite Ocean LOD

Comment

Originally posted by GlitchSack View Post
                    Hey GlitchSack,

I'm currently developing the fish further, but you can check out the current progress on the master branch ! Right now there are fish nodes set up in level, when the player gets near one these fish will spawn.

Have fun,
                    Komodo

Comment

Multiplayer sounds cool. Tough though. I'm excited to see updates for more water dynamics. Splashes wakes bow waves kelvin wakes. Weather I can do its the water dynamics I would struggle with. Regardless, keep on truckin TK and Dot and HK and Komdodo, checking the thread, Trello and Github 3-4x a day lol

Comment

Originally posted by Nsomnia View Post
                        Its a 24 hour clock 0001 should get you one minuite past midnight and 1301 should get you 1:01 pm. You can see in the construction script of BP skydome DefaultHour which is probably the hour your playing with is clamped between 0.0f and 24.0f (then multiplied by 60.0f to get currentMinute)

If youd like some more information on the ToD system search for what it was built off search for "Gregdumb's time-of-day skydome blueprint, version 1.2! Created with Unreal Engine 4.2.1."
                        Thanks Nsomnia! That really helps to make sense of everything! I never thought to try the numbers without : so I was simply using two digit characters.
                        -TorQueMoD
                        www.torquemod.com

Comment

Actually I have another question. How would you go about using the Sun's light settings to drive the color over time of another light? For example I have a cave system in my level but there's a gap in the ceiling to let some of the outside light in. I placed a spotlight there to simulate some ambient light coming through. How would I synchronize the color of the spotlight to match that of the sun/moon so that when night time hits, the color of the spot changes at the same time to the same value?
                          -TorQueMoD
                          www.torquemod.com

Comment

Can someone help me with this issue? I updated the plugin and added the fishmanager but the oceanBP looks like this now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Skärmklipp 2015-04-15 21.19.09.png
Views:	1
Size:	895.0 KB
ID:	1074535
                            WIP Thread _ Modular Packs

http://www.indiedb.com/games/the-absence
                            https://twitter.com/PermafrostDevs

Comment

Originally posted by TorQueMoD View Post
                              How would you go about using the Sun's light settings to drive the color over time of another light?
                              Check out the Skydome blueprint, looks like the color is fed from a curve.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ColorOverTime.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	1074523

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Current status of the upcoming "ships" update:

It's almost ready, there a couple of things I have to clean up and make a bit more "modular" first, so you can easily add and configure your own ships/boats.

-Networking is all setup, all done via BP and nicely commented out (although synchronization is still WIP and probably not perfect, needs more testing)
                              I had to make a custom player controller in C++ though (to solve a problem with possession, basically the ship got de-spawned when a player it disconnected or exit the game while driving it) special thanks to TheJamsh for helping me figure out how to do that

-Ship health and damage is implemented (nothing too fancy, just a simple health bar made in UMG and then sinking via density override), you can totally have a little naval battle
                              Ships can be respawned after they are destroyed, there is a respawn time variable.

-Particle hit effects when hitting water, ice (icebergs) and wood which also catches on fire

-Added ocean ambient sfx.

-Added snow, which can be toggled in Skydome BP.

-Cannons which can be fired individually by a player next to it or all at once when driving the ship.
                              You can add and "link" as many cannons as you like to a ship.
                              Each cannon has reload time and damage variables.

-Two ship blueprints.
                              The first one is pretty simple.. forward speed, steering speed and buoyancy settings.
                              The second one is the "per-poly collision" one, I might post some notes after I release the update to explain a bit how it is done, it's a little more complex.

Funny thing is that the per-poly collision ships seems that can be much more efficient perfomance-wise compared to convex collision with many primitives

4.10 Update! -> [Community Project] WIP Weather & Ocean Water Shader
                              WIP Interactive Water Shader, WIP 2D Water Sim
                              WIP FFT Ocean w/ Foam, Quad-tree Infinite Ocean LOD

Comment

Originally posted by TK-Master View Post
                                Check out the Skydome blueprint, looks like the color is fed from a curve.
                                Oh right. So I suppose I could use the same values to drive the other lights in the scene? That would cover the color change but what about the timing? I really know too little about this. I should look for some more tutorials.
                                -TorQueMoD
                                www.torquemod.com

Comment

Working...
                                X