Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a way to make the waves all direct to the centre of the plane? I'm making an island map and currently have waves going backwards at the opposite side of the map, which isn't very immersive. Loving what you guys have done already though

Comment

Originally posted by LambChops View Post
      Is there a way to make the waves all direct to the centre of the plane? I'm making an island map and currently have waves going backwards at the opposite side of the map, which isn't very immersive. Loving what you guys have done already though
      Probably in the future but I cant think of an easy way to do that currently as you just set the "wind direction" which affects the mesh displacement direction.
      Tek LLC a personal Candaian Company running BlenderTek & UnrealTek is currently looking for help to bring back submarine simulator gaming with a new genre of sub sims: Cold War! (1945-1991) Operation: Trident SubSim Dev Diary Thread - Donations

Comment

Thats unfortunate, but i'm happy to make do for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Nsomnia View Post
          Probably in the future but I cant think of an easy way to do that currently as you just set the "wind direction" which affects the mesh displacement direction.

DotCam will be able to give you a more definitive answer because he actually wrote all(most?) of the ocean manager. Timeframes? He is smart and doesnt say "We will have that feature done around may 15th".
          Tek LLC a personal Candaian Company running BlenderTek & UnrealTek is currently looking for help to bring back submarine simulator gaming with a new genre of sub sims: Cold War! (1945-1991) Operation: Trident SubSim Dev Diary Thread - Donations

Comment

Hey all I just thought of something. If you want a simple compass, add a text render component, enable it when you press C for compass or whatever and have it display the math above as the text. No HUD or UMG required. Im using that for debugging and thought I'd share that. Take a look at one of my mini updates I posted over at the SubSim forums for an example, you can see it right in the thumbnail.

Last edited by Nsomnia; 03-27-2015, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Thanks, good idea! From your video can I assume the OceanProject on Github has been updated with the new Cloud/Sky stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by Zeroy View Post
                Thanks, good idea! From your video can I assume the OceanProject on Github has been updated with the new Cloud/Sky stuff?
                No idea. Depends what branch. Ever branch has some different tweaks and of course you can make your own skydomes and atmosphere and stuff, depends on your skills, I have little so I'm just blabbering here. TK's dev has a nice atmosphere IMO if you turn the cloud opacity up to 0.975 because the sun sets in the west like in real life.

Comment

You can fix by unchecking "use translucency vertex" in M_clouds MAT - At least it corrected my problem of clouds visible through water
                  Ahh thank you for mentioning this, I will fix it up asap!

Originally posted by LambChops View Post
                  That is really difficult to pull off, it would likely be better to adjust the rotation angle based on the players position. To have them render in a circular pattern is something that could be done though, I will look into it for a future release but will require major changes to the material setup. I will add it to the todo (or to-try ) list!

Not yet no, still needs more work. Hopefully over the next couple days I will add in another experimental branch.

--------------------------------------------

Tk's new SSS, Buoyancy system, Buoyant Destructible's, the basis for multiplayer and a few other new additions have been merged to the master branch now (the plugin is the same as the one I gave you Nsomnia, won't break anything ), along with a demo level showing the new systems.

With that completed I am wondering if any of you will still be using the current BuoyancyMovementComponent (listed as BuoyancyMovement in the Components list) and do not want to switch to the new improved version. Please try out the new buoyancy system, it is much more accurate and highly configurable (named BuoyancyComponent, listed as Buoyancy in the Components list) in comparison to the original setup, afterwards if you still ant the original system to be available please let me know.

The new system is essentially the same base setup with a more accurate simulation of buoyant physics, and I would like to remove the old system if it's not needed (to avoid confusion mainly, 2 different components doing the same thing).

Let me know which you prefer! Thanks
                  Free Community Ocean & Sky Project || Join us on Discord! || Trello Roadmap

Comment

Originally posted by DotCam View Post
                    With that completed I am wondering if any of you will still be using the current BuoyancyMovementComponent (listed as BuoyancyMovement in the Components list) and do not want to switch to the new improved version. Please try out the new buoyancy system, it is much more accurate and highly configurable (named BuoyancyComponent, listed as Buoyancy in the Components list) in comparison to the original setup, afterwards if you still ant the original system to be available please let me know.

Let me know which you prefer! Thanks

We are currently using both until a struct can be used the same way as the current BuoyancyMovementComponent in BuoyancyComponent. To help people organize ships that they want to sink part by part instead of just a corner using 4 test points for example. The buoyancyMovementComponent() struct turned a 50 node blueprint into a 15 node blueprint when you added it.

Edit: From my team-member working with BuoyancyMovementComponent for submerisbles and flooding surface ships
                    Last edited by Nsomnia; 03-28-2015, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nsomnia View Post
                      We are currently using both until a struct can be used the same way as the current BuoyancyMovementComponent in BuoyancyComponent. To help people organize ships that they want to sink part by part instead of just a corner using 4 test points for example. The buoyancyMovementComponent() struct turned a 50 node blueprint into a 15 node blueprint when you added it.

Edit: From my team-member working with BuoyancyMovementComponent for submerisbles and flooding surface ships
                      Yeah I spent like a day on making the pre-struct(its still a struct set up I was just hitting a learning curve), while the post struct took me less then an hour to set up(after I understood structs more). Now I'm doing option 3, wish me luck LOL. However I would prefer a Buoyancy system that gives me more control for individual test points and that does not punish me for using more then 4. Handkors Buoyancy has that kind of effect and if I add one to try and balance a particular area it throws everything out of whack, no pun intended, its just the math is doing a force adjustment based on the total number of test points rather then calculating independently.
                      Last edited by Avolanty; 03-28-2015, 04:52 PM.

Comment

There may be some issues integrating my clouds directly into the SkyDome.

The volume is sampled at certain distances around the camera. I accomplish this by moving shells with the character, or by adding camera position to the world offset in the material of stationary shells. When the shells are in any blueprint besides the character, the first method produces a noticeable flicker, seemingly due to an occasional delay/error in matching the shells' positions with the character. With the second method there is a ~33% drop in FPS during play.

While it slows it down considerably, the second method is useful in the editor, because you can see real-time adjustments to cloud parameters. So, I'm thinking of putting a proxy of the shells(with the main material offset by camera position) in the SkyDome, to be destroyed on Begin Play. The number of shells can be adjusted independently for in-editor performance. Then the material collection parameters controlling the clouds can be set from the SkyDome. How does this sound?

Comment

Wow, this system really looks like it's going to become fairly complicated. I'm using one of the earlier versions which was BP only, but will update shortly to the GitHub master branch.
                          Have you thought about keeping the system clean? What I mean by that is, that it might be a good idea to easily disable some features like underwater effects/creatures. So it doesn't get too "cluttered" ^^ Maybe some kind of modular approach would work? (Just an idea, dunno if that would work)

I appreciate the features and it's great that you guys work so hard on that, so I just want to say thanks. I wished I could contribute something myself, but I am no proper artist nor a coder myself (even though I try to learn both...)

Greetings,
                          Dakraid

Comment

Oh wow they work around the Root Joint Position, OK I'm impressed TK that is extremely helpful in my design.

Comment

OK I'm having a small issue with TK's Point Density Override. It does not want to work with the set element array BP option to change the float for individual test points. I even unchecked the "Size to fit" option and made 12 test points in the global and it took my Vectors but not the change in float. I am also doing this per tick so I will see about doing a begin play attempt. However so far I cant seem to adjust this value without unreal crashing. Click image for larger version

Name:	KPxHanz.png
Views:	1
Size:	452.5 KB
ID:	1071413

I also tried to re size the array but that crashes too. Am I approaching this set up incorrectly?

Comment

How do you plan on doing seasons? Is it just how the sun sets and rises or will it affect the rain, turn still water into ice? And if you have snow, will it affect solid ground?

Comment

Working...
                                X