• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Komodoman View Post
    Thanks,

Hope you all enjoy!

Komodo
    Hey komodo I got lo-poly bird model with grounded, flying, and flapping animations, just need to apply the texture and export it from UE4. Blender doesnt export animations well and I dont know how to use Maya, really expensive virtual paperweight on my computer.

Originally posted by xnihil0zer0 View Post
    I got a decent method for clouds that might be a good fit here. What sorts of capabilities would you guys like to see in a weather system?
    I believe the general idea is to start off with clouds, wind, rain, lightning and then move on to snow/sleet and a whole integrated system with the calander system etc. Fully dynamic and realistic. I know depending how fast we develop our game we will be making a full weather system wheter (no pun intended) its before the dot team finished it or not will make the difference if we have to buiild it in which case we would probably share most of our weather systems. I'm sure dot or handkor or tk would love to see your project, dont know if you want to release a public copy or not.
    Last edited by Nsomnia; 03-22-2015, 08:07 PM.
    Tek LLC a personal Candaian Company running BlenderTek & UnrealTek is currently looking for help to bring back submarine simulator gaming with a new genre of sub sims: Cold War! (1945-1991) Operation: Trident SubSim Dev Diary Thread - Donations

Comment

I'd like to integrate it into this project, so it will be public. Figured I'd save some folks the hassle of trying to do this with particles. But right now its just a material on some spheres, not much to see. I'd like to make it more configurable before I throw it in. So I guess my question is more, what sort of cloud parameters would people find useful to manipulate?

Comment

Personally have them as tweakable as possible without getting too technical. Wind direction, height of clouds, density, size of cloud "clumps", number of "clumps" i dunno things like that.
        Tek LLC a personal Candaian Company running BlenderTek & UnrealTek is currently looking for help to bring back submarine simulator gaming with a new genre of sub sims: Cold War! (1945-1991) Operation: Trident SubSim Dev Diary Thread - Donations

Comment

My wish list for clouds:
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cirrostratus_cloud for those gray days
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altocum...tellanus_cloud for "everyday clouds"
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractus_cloud if you just want a few small clouds in the sky
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cumulus_mediocris_cloud for rainy days

It would be a very nice feature to be able to use more than one type of clouds; ie fractus clouds below cirrostraus clouds to break it up. The important thing for me personally is to be able to design the clouds a bit, to break up uniformity.

I believe in doing things like this based on "real" data (breaking down clouds to why they look different), trying to design a system with artificial input like height and density alone and at the same time create realistic results is probably very hard. My preference is “correct” variable types rather than abstract ones; I find physically based materials much more intuitive compared to having specular, specular power and the like.

I have tried to create clouds myself, but I am not skilled enough to create something decent

Comment

Has anyone here attempted to run this with VXGI?

Comment

Everything should be controlled by the calendar and wind. Wind is faster at night / winter months. Wind controls direction of wave caps, clouds, foliage effects, rain/snow, etc. I've got a dynamic wind system in blueprints. Fairly simple (it just adds/subtracts a random float from the current rotation of the wind directional source, which adds the feel of gradual change of direction and speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Komodoman View Post
                That would be amazing!
                http://www.blendertek.com/BirdForKomodo.rar

Let me know if that works, its just an import from my Unity project the cut out any extra frames it imported. Unreal does some odd things importing sometimes, then I used the "Bulk export" function. Let me know if its missing something or whatever. I didnt include the texture yet, let me know if you need one.

Comment

Originally posted by xnihil0zer0 View Post
                  I'd like to integrate it into this project, so it will be public. Figured I'd save some folks the hassle of trying to do this with particles. But right now its just a material on some spheres, not much to see. I'd like to make it more configurable before I throw it in. So I guess my question is more, what sort of cloud parameters would people find useful to manipulate?
                  This looks really interesting, how is it as far as performance? I would love to take a look at it and try it out and see about integrating it some time

Controls would be density, individual cloud size (in a range so they aren't all identical of course), direction, speed, height from ground, height from cloud base, color (to get highlights from the sky color), separation (each cloud far apart or close together, again using a range), and shape (using textures). Probably a few more I'm missing...

Many of these controls will need to be integrated in with the skydome as it will be controlling the weather effects soon. I would prefer to expose these parameters in the Skydome to manage everything, and have the clouds as a component of the blueprint. Does that work in this case?

Really interested in this, keep me updated! Let me know if you need anything
                  Free Community Ocean & Sky Project || Join us on Discord! || Trello Roadmap

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ship2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	553.2 KB
ID:	1071061

Community Ocean requires me to use physics to get any kind of buoyancy effect.

How am I supposed to make this a cheap physics object? Remember players will be on it, cannons, furniture, sails, rope ladders; its far from finished.

Comment

Originally posted by Nsomnia View Post
                      http://www.blendertek.com/BirdForKomodo.rar

Let me know if that works, its just an import from my Unity project the cut out any extra frames it imported. Unreal does some odd things importing sometimes, then I used the "Bulk export" function. Let me know if its missing something or whatever. I didnt include the texture yet, let me know if you need one.
                      Great thanks! I'll look at it later tonight and let you know.

Komodo

Comment

Originally posted by DIFTOW View Post

How am I supposed to make this a cheap physics object? Remember players will be on it, cannons, furniture, sails, rope ladders; its far from finished.
                        Were looking into per-poly collissions for our submarine for the deck and bridge, will let you know what we figure out.

Comment

I would like to nominate DotCam, Komodoman, Rama, and others who have been working on the ocean system and weather, flocking system, and other systems, for a grant from Epic.

They have given a lot to the comunity and I think it would help them with their continued contributions.
                          Last edited by bzinventor; 03-23-2015, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DIFTOW View Post

Hey Diftow, I was talking about this with TK earlier, we are currently implementing the basics needed for this to work. The "GetWaveHeight" function of the OceanManager class (which BP_Ocean derives from) has now been exposed to blueprints. There are a couple other steps we have taken in code to offset the regular time by the server latency to prevent any discrepancies.

TK had a quick setup on his GutHub branch of the project, we are currently testing it out. I hope to have more info soon. We can also use an "anchored location" (you can enable that mode by turning off physics on your ship), you will see the ship bob up and down rather unrealistically at this time, but I will try to improve that to see if it could solve this issue.

The colision between the player and the ship itself is something I do not see us adding in at this point, so that part you will need to implement.

So we are making progress on it
                            Free Community Ocean & Sky Project || Join us on Discord! || Trello Roadmap

Comment

This looks really interesting, how is it as far as performance? I would love to take a look at it and try it out and see about integrating it some time
                              For some reason, I can't build/launch the base OceanDemo(at least the master branch that I downloaded). But, if I turn off the fish manager, using the settings from the vid I posted, I get 70-80 in the editor, 60-70 full-screen standalone, with the editor open, on a 280x. Draw distance there is 5 km, I get 45-50 fps at 10km, 35-40fps with the draw distance turned up to 75 km, though there's some room to play with the scaling function. I'm about to test multiple layers, so we'll see how much that will slow it down.

It's a separate actor now, but most of the machinery is in the material so it shouldn't be too hard to integrate it with the SkyDome.

Comment

Testing the procedural terrain system.

What are possible uses of the getwaveheight in BP? It could be used for a buoyancy system but that'd be too performance hindering, anything think of any good uses?
                                Last edited by Nsomnia; 03-23-2015, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X