X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DotCam View Post
    And you too, welcome to the forums!

First thing you need to do [...]
    Thank you! This is so great and so are you I was gonna make a pictorial for other nubs like me but this is really well explained.
    Maybe one more thing - packaging the whole thing* still requires using Visual Studio? Because I get a plugin-missing error code and fiddling around with the Engine.ini didn't work out too great.

*my project, not OceanProject-1.0

Comment

Originally posted by Komodoman View Post
      @Nsomnia, That would be amazing! .fbx is best for sure.

I know some of our current fish are rotated to face +Y, so I created the fish blueprint so you could rotate the fish mesh, but facing the +X is much better, since you can plug in the model without doing any rotations. Same thing with scale, right now one has to manually scale in the blueprint editor in UE4 (Which isn't terrible since 1 unit = 1cm) At some point I'll have our artist go in and change all the current ones to +X and correctly scale in maya to shorten implementation time. If you plan on doing a larger underwater creature then include a swim animation of some sort, if it's a small fish it doesn't need an animation. I don't think our current fish have bump or normal maps, but having them does increase quality, so it's completely up to you ! Incredibly thankful for the offer... if you don't mind me asking, what fish do you have in mind?

Edit: I think it's a good idea to have a standard scale and direction for the fish project as +X and scaled to real life. I will add that as addition requirements for future addition, and ensure the old models follow this standard when my artist or I has a chance. ( I can maya too XD)

Cheers,
      Komo
      No gaurentees but I have free time I'll do some random fish from all over the world. Im currently trying to figure out how to implement the fishmanager.cpp and fishflock.cpp and their header files into my project. I made new blank classes in my project named that and then I pasted over the files from the .zip. Do I need to compile it somewhere or download a plugin for visual studio?

Originally posted by DIFTOW View Post
      I don't see this rectangle with 4 points. I've been trying to do this for hours
      Can you send me an example scene or be more specific?

This guy used spheres along the base of the ship, like Assassins Creed. How do I do that? Skip to 1:15 into video.

I know how to make and place sphere colliders, but not how to make the buoyancy use those instead of the model. I don't want to calculate buoyancy on the actual mesh, and 4 points on a rectangle seems too low.

EDIT: I tried adjusting the pivot to see if the buoyancy location would change, and it did, so the buoyancy is based on the pivot location entirely.
      That rules out weights being too much, and it shows its not using '4 points' either, just 1 pivot. This is not what I want at all. How do I fix this?
      If I have time I'll make a video. Busy day my partner is off so I'm able to work in peace so to speak.
      Tek LLC a personal Candaian Company running BlenderTek & UnrealTek is currently looking for help to bring back submarine simulator gaming with a new genre of sub sims: Cold War! (1945-1991) Operation: Trident SubSim Dev Diary Thread - Donations

Comment

For people that keep asking how.
        Tek LLC a personal Candaian Company running BlenderTek & UnrealTek is currently looking for help to bring back submarine simulator gaming with a new genre of sub sims: Cold War! (1945-1991) Operation: Trident SubSim Dev Diary Thread - Donations

Comment

Hi!

After a toug battle, I have managed to add the vaOcean in a 4.6.1 project!

Now, I add the ocean in the map.. I setup the parameters and It looks pretty well!

My problem, is that when I move it more than a "range", the textures of it disappear.

Nothing like an image:

As you can see, in the second image I changed the axis down.

Furthermore, I tried to change the axis of the rest of the map (up). The problem is, that when I re-built the lights, I have the same texture error on my sea.

Thanks
          Attached Files
          Last edited by SpykeRel04D; 03-14-2015, 08:22 PM. Reason: Image Link Broken

Comment

No ideas there. I recompiled the project with the fish addon, will be testing it out. Will compile a clean project with fish and zip it up upon request. Not hard to do yourself if you have visual studio.

Comment

Originally posted by Nsomnia View Post
              No ideas there. I recompiled the project with the fish addon, will be testing it out. Will compile a clean project with fish and zip it up upon request. Not hard to do yourself if you have visual studio.
              Hey Nsomnia,

Glad you were able to figure out how to add fish. I have some good news too! I finally got a OK implementation of obstacle avoidance working and am planning on uploading a tutorial and a package v0.15 tonight. A lot of improvements have been made since v0.1, so you may want to hold off on fine-tuning any fish blueprints you created.

EDIT: New tutorial:

Cheers,
              Komodo
              Last edited by Komodoman; 03-15-2015, 12:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SpykeRel04D View Post
                Hi!

After a toug battle, I have managed to add the vaOcean in a 4.6.1 project!

Now, I add the ocean in the map.. I setup the parameters and It looks pretty well!

My problem, is that when I move it more than a "range", the textures of it disappear.

Nothing like an image:

As you can see, in the second image I changed the axis down.

Furthermore, I tried to change the axis of the rest of the map (up). The problem is, that when I re-built the lights, I have the same texture error on my sea.

Thanks
                Hi everyone. First, thanks for working on this fantastic project.

So, i have the same problem

Searching for the reason of that problem i noticed that water reflections works only if a skylight is placed in the world.

Is there a solution to make reflections working without using a skylight?

Thanks

Comment

Hmmm... going to have to look into what is causing these Plugin issues, don't know why it has to be so difficult to make a plugin. :/

The Skylight is required for the specular highlights, 4.8 will have SSR for translucency which will allow for actual reflections. Currently the translucency setup in UE4 is limited, but there are many improvements coming in 4.8 that will be implemented asap. You can try adding a Reflection Capture Sphere to the scene as a movable object, with a skylight it boosts the specular even further.

Try and keep the ocean plane right at 0 on the z-axis in world. It is not required but seems to work out the best.

There are many other replies above I will try to get to this morning (just woke up ), first though I want to find out what's causing the plugin issues. Sorry for the issues...
                  Last edited by DotCam; 03-15-2015, 11:39 AM.
                  Free Community Ocean & Sky Project || Join us on Discord! || Trello Roadmap

Comment

Originally posted by DotCam View Post
                    Hmmm... going to have to look into what is causing these Plugin issues, don't know why it has to be so difficult to make a plugin. :/

The Skylight is required for the specular highlights, 4.8 will have SSR for translucency which will allow for actual reflections. Currently the translucency setup in UE4 is limited, but there are many improvements coming in 4.8 that will be implemented asap. You can try adding a Reflection Capture Sphere to the scene as a movable object, with a skylight it boosts the specular even further.

Try and keep the ocean plane right at 0 on the z-axis in world. It is not required but seems to work out the best.

There are many other replies above I will try to get to this morning (just woke up ), first though I want to find out what's causing the plugin issues. Sorry for the issues...
                    Thank you very much for this incredible work!

I know how difficult could be make this plugin works fine..

Actually I'm starting with ue4, but I'm sure, that with a couple of months, I would help you with your job!

Comment

I had buoyancy points setup in blueprints. The buoyancy without physics used the pivot of the mesh and ignored the test points.
                      The buoyancy with physics used the mesh geometry and ignored the test points yet again. I followed that video tutorial and it didn't produce satisfactory results.

Perhaps the community ocean cannot do what I thought yet.

I had some high expectations because of this video below:
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fs2RxrdpwQo

Now the author did mention at the time when he posted awhile back, that he did his own buoyancy code.
                      Given this is a community project, and buoyancy code was ultimately added, I was under the assumption that his work was implemented.

When I contacted him (TkMaster), he failed to mention that infact it was NOT implemented into the community ocean code.
                      This was infact the response I got from him, when I asked how I could do the exact same thing with my galleon.

Hi, there are no "sphere colliders" (the spheres you see on the video are just debug spheres for visualization of the radius of the buoyancy points).

What you need to do is make a blueprint and add the BuoyancyMovement component, then add as many points to the "Test Points" array as your ship needs (4 points at each corner should be enough, but you can add more) then adjust the coordinates of the test points to be spaced accordingly (you will have to do this manually at the moment).
                      So when was he going to tell me "oh btw, you also need my script to do it"? After I spent 2 hours messing with it and writing posts.

Personally I'm using my own version with my own buoyancy code so I'm not really able to help you with your issues at the moment but don't worry too much about it, give it a month or so and it should be much better with working examples (such as ships) etc.
                      So some of the mystery is now solved. So for anyone else getting all excited about that video, yeah just pretend it doesn't exist, its a big tease.

Comment

Originally posted by Komodoman View Post
                        Hey Nsomnia,

Glad you were able to figure out how to add fish. I have some good news too! I finally got a OK implementation of obstacle avoidance working and am planning on uploading a tutorial and a package v0.15 tonight. A lot of improvements have been made since v0.1, so you may want to hold off on fine-tuning any fish blueprints you created.

EDIT: New tutorial:

Cheers,
                        Komodo
                        I had to remove the .cpp's and header files and recompile. It kept crashing my project

Comment

Originally posted by Nsomnia View Post
                          I had to remove the .cpp's and header files and recompile. It kept crashing my project
                          The new fish code or the old code? Do you remember the error your were getting?

Comment

I had buoyancy points setup in blueprints. The buoyancy without physics used the pivot of the mesh and ignored the test points.
                            The buoyancy with physics used the mesh geometry and ignored the test points yet again. I followed that video tutorial and it didn't produce satisfactory results.

Now the author did mention at the time when he posted awhile back, that he did his own buoyancy code.
                            Given this is a community project, and buoyancy code was ultimately added, I was under the assumption that his work was implemented.

When I contacted him (TkMaster), he failed to mention that infact it was NOT implemented into the community ocean code.
                            This was infact the response I got from him, when I asked how I could do the exact same thing with my galleon.

So when was he going to tell me "oh btw, you also need my script to do it"? After I spent 2 hours messing with it and writing posts.

So some of the mystery is now solved. So for anyone else getting all excited about that video, yeah just pretend it doesn't exist, its a big tease.
                            It's my own code what you see at that video but that doesn't mean you can't make something similar with the current buoyancy code, because you can!

I never said it would work perfectly right off the bat with the instructions I gave you, I was just trying to help you get started since it sounded like you don't know how to use the buoyancy component.

I don't think anyone here said that everything works perfectly without some tinkering around

I get your frustration but no need to be rude! eventually it will be more simplified and I also plan to share my buoyancy code and other shader improvements for those who are interested.

-------------------

@DotCam

Would it be okay if I make my own fork of the project? that way I could share some of the experimental stuff I am working on, and if there is something you like, you are more than welcome to add it to the "main" branch

4.10 Update! -> [Community Project] WIP Weather & Ocean Water Shader
                            WIP Interactive Water Shader, WIP 2D Water Sim
                            WIP FFT Ocean w/ Foam, Quad-tree Infinite Ocean LOD

Comment

I am looking into what is causing the plugin issue, it is not working correctly.

If you can't wait for that, download this version without the plugin:
                              https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3...czA&authuser=0

This project is still an early work in progress with many rough edges that I work on in my spare time. It is no where near ready to be dropped into a game and work flawlessly, it is just a starting point to build from.

More features will be added as I am able to, but I cannot make any guarantees on when certain features will be added. As I mentioned yesterday in my PM I am working on improvements to the the test point creation system, and hoped to have it completed yesterday, but it is no use if the plugin isn't working. As soon as I have a solution I will let you know.

Thank you.
                              Last edited by DotCam; 03-15-2015, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TK-Master View Post
                                @DotCam

Would it be okay if I make my own fork of the project? that way I could share some of the experimental stuff I am working on, and if there is something you like, you are more than welcome to add it to the "main" branch
                                For sure it would! I can add you to the "organization" created on GitHub, could you let me know your GitHub user ? (here or pm?) Would really like to see what you have been working on!

Comment

Working...
                                X