Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Community Project] WIP Weather & Ocean Water Shader

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    hi
    I downloaded it but how do I make any object to have Buoyancy because I tried to put a ship and it just sunk.

    Comment


      Add the buoyancy BP component IIRC I dont use it much yet, working on the GUI and adjust your test points and mass.
      Tek LLC a personal Candaian Company running BlenderTek & UnrealTek is currently looking for help to bring back submarine simulator gaming with a new genre of sub sims: Cold War! (1945-1991) Operation: Trident SubSim Dev Diary Thread - Donations

      Comment


        What is not OpenGL compatible? I've tried the other water from the learn section and it works fine on Ubuntu even though it uses tesselation etc. I only need to find out how to scale them up
        for huge storm waves, any ideas?

        Comment


          Originally posted by Nsomnia View Post
          We tried tiling multiple ocean tiles together. There is no apparent or otherwise just the odd pixel of a seam they seem to blend seamlessly!
          Yep! Forgot to mention that, everything is using world space UV's so you can tile/overlap without too much trouble.

          Originally posted by Nsomnia View Post
          Procedural as in the ocean floor? I think people who need it (very few only people like us using submersibles) would need that and could do it themselves. At the same time LODs... on my gtx 760 even with 16 ocean tiles I get 60-100 fps.
          I mean for the ocean surface plane, instead of using a static mesh use a generated one based on the camera position. You could then dynamically create lower LOD meshes fairly easily to get an infinite ocean surface. The sea floor would need to be done with landscape streaming.

          Have a look at this article on how they work the LOD's in AC 3/4 (doesn't talk about the mesh, but a similar grid system would be used) - http://www.fxguide.com/featured/assa...th-the-action/

          I had another link with more info, I'll see if I can find it again and post it up later on.


          Originally posted by danielpeles View Post
          hi
          I downloaded it but how do I make any object to have Buoyancy because I tried to put a ship and it just sunk.
          As Nsomnia mentioned, you will need to create a blueprint with the static mesh as one component, and add a "BuoyancyMovementComponent". In the settings for the buoyancy movement you can create "Test Points" which actually determine how much force to apply. You need a minimum of 4 test points (one in each corner) but more can be added if needed. The interface for this will be improved soon, it is a bit difficult to get right at the moment.

          Originally posted by Mike4 View Post
          What is not OpenGL compatible? I've tried the other water from the learn section and it works fine on Ubuntu even though it uses tesselation etc. I only need to find out how to scale them up
          for huge storm waves, any ideas?
          The main reason is I am using Shared Samplers in the material. By default the material itself uses up 10 of the 16 samplers before adding anything, so that leaves me with 6 textures only. DX11 will allow you to use up to 128 Shared Samplers. It is possible to reduce it down, but some features would need to be cut from the material as it is now.

          Aside from that OpenGL should work just fine, but as is currently it will not.
          Free Community Ocean & Sky Project || Join us on Discord! || Trello Roadmap

          Comment


            Wanted to ask Handkor about the Buoyancy. See I am changing the test points over a short amount of time and its not updating fast enough. Seems like the wave cycle has to run through first before it can take a new test point value. To picture my logic I am increasing the Z values of my test points over time to keep Buoyancy of the ship as it descends underwater. What happens however is that it lurches down after each wave cycle rather then a smooth graceful dive. If Handkor can get back with me on this to confirm that is how things will work, I can then try another dive method, or if he has a fix for it I would greatly use it.

            Comment


              What about if you want to use this in multiplayer?

              Comment


                Originally posted by DotCam View Post


                LOD is the next thing to be added in, if you are interested I am looking to implement a procedural mesh generator similar to this:
                https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Proced...esh_Generation

                Not sure whether to go for this now or get a basic LOD system working first, what do you think?
                I second this, and LOD too :P, I've played with Nvidia ocean demo, which make the LOD change whenever the camera move. It's really great for an infinite ocean plane, tried implementing in unreal but I have no luck, maybe because my knowledge in unreal rendering pipeline is still limited

                If you want to see their ocean implementation for references check it out here https://developer.nvidia.com/dx11-samples

                Comment


                  Personally I would focus on the core details first, i get great performance on mid-range hardware. But thats just me. Once I get this game further along I can stop pulling in 13 hour days and start seeing if i can code some additons.
                  Tek LLC a personal Candaian Company running BlenderTek & UnrealTek is currently looking for help to bring back submarine simulator gaming with a new genre of sub sims: Cold War! (1945-1991) Operation: Trident SubSim Dev Diary Thread - Donations

                  Comment


                    Ok so quick update:

                    Plugin now works flawlessly!

                    Unfortunately to get it to work i have had to create a new project and rebuild the blueprint. It was originally built off the OceanManager code in the project, moving it to a plugin breaks that link so it needed to be recreated. I was hoping to avoid that but decided to give in, from this point on you will be able to migrate easily.

                    It is complete now, currently tweaking values a bit and copying over default values. This project no longer has any code outside of the plugin, which only needs to be placed in your OceanDemo\Plugins folder (or YourProjectName\Plugins).

                    I will be removing all links later today for the current version (if for some reason you need that version, please PM me) and replacing it with the GitHub build, which will be going up asap here:
                    https://github.com/UE4-OceanProject/OceanProject

                    Thanks guys!
                    Free Community Ocean & Sky Project || Join us on Discord! || Trello Roadmap

                    Comment


                      @DotCam

                      Is it possible for this to work in a networked game? Ship positions updating over the internet while sailing on these oceans or battling?

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by DIFTOW View Post
                        @DotCam

                        Is it possible for this to work in a networked game? Ship positions updating over the internet while sailing on these oceans or battling?
                        Yes it is possible, but will need some modifications. The OceanManager class (now in the plugin) performs the same calculations for the waves without actually rendering it, this is used to calculate the buoyancy. Exposing these functions to blueprint should allow you to get the info needed.

                        Currently the ocean is placed in the world instead of being tied to the player's position, a procedural mesh generator would fix that issue. It should be possible as is, but there are some other improvements needed to get this working well.

                        The ship positions would need to be implemented for your game though it is not built in, this isn't a ship based game template. It is just a starting point for those wanting an ocean surface, the rest is up to you (although I may add an example ship later on).
                        Free Community Ocean & Sky Project || Join us on Discord! || Trello Roadmap

                        Comment


                          I asked before, but I dont think you saw my question Im wondering if it is possible to make waterfalls with this system.
                          System
                          ASUS ROG Maximus IX Forumla - ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1080 8GB - G.Skill RGB 16GB, Samsung M2 500GB

                          ArtStation
                          Artwork thread

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by Frequia View Post
                            I asked before, but I dont think you saw my question Im wondering if it is possible to make waterfalls with this system.
                            No not at this time. There is a "RiverTool" which is a pretty basic spline mesh system that could be turned into a waterfall using a tri-planar material (and particle fx), but I don't have any plans to work on one. Trying to focus on the Ocean currently.
                            Free Community Ocean & Sky Project || Join us on Discord! || Trello Roadmap

                            Comment


                              Understand. Will check out the river tool
                              System
                              ASUS ROG Maximus IX Forumla - ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1080 8GB - G.Skill RGB 16GB, Samsung M2 500GB

                              ArtStation
                              Artwork thread

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by DotCam View Post
                                Yes it is possible, but will need some modifications. The OceanManager class (now in the plugin) performs the same calculations for the waves without actually rendering it, this is used to calculate the buoyancy. Exposing these functions to blueprint should allow you to get the info needed.

                                Currently the ocean is placed in the world instead of being tied to the player's position, a procedural mesh generator would fix that issue. It should be possible as is, but there are some other improvements needed to get this working well.

                                The ship positions would need to be implemented for your game though it is not built in, this isn't a ship based game template. It is just a starting point for those wanting an ocean surface, the rest is up to you (although I may add an example ship later on).
                                Procedural doesn't mean random does it? It cannot be random on the client-side or everyone will be out of sync :P

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X