This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DotCam View Post
    To be honest I really don't know what I am doing when it comes to GitHub, I have always used SVN for my projects in the past. So I know how it works just not how to implement it all.

But I am pretty sure it will be fairly simple, it doesn't look so bad. I want it to be open enough for bug reports, contributions, and multiple versions (one focused for player/water interaction, underwater FX, swimming etc, and another one focused on the surface/bouyancy, as well as 4.6 / 4.7 / 4.8 etc versions).

So the answer to these questions (except the first since I am a GitHub noob) is yes for sure. I really want this to be a project from community for the community so open access is a must.

I will add you on skype a little later when I am ready to go for GitHub so you can help with my noobness!
    Hey DotCam,

I have used Git on multiple large projects and wouldn't mind teaching you or helping you maintain the Repo. One unfortunate side effect of using Git, as our team found, is that the max file size is 500mb. So large Levels cannot be commited :/. There's probably some way around this though.

Comment

Originally posted by Komodoman View Post
      Hey DotCam,

I have used Git on multiple large projects and wouldn't mind teaching you or helping you maintain the Repo. One unfortunate side effect of using Git, as our team found, is that the max file size is 500mb. So large Levels cannot be commited :/. There's probably some way around this though.
      Thats a good point.

What is my disk quota?

GitHub doesn't have any set disk quotas. We try to provide abundant storage for all Git repositories, within reason. Keeping repositories small ensures that our servers are fast and downloads are quick for our users.
      Rule of thumb: 1GB per repository, 100MB per file

For best performance, we recommend repositories be kept under 1GB each. This limit is easy to stay within if large files (typically, binaries) are kept out of the repository. If your repository exceeds 1GB, you might receive a polite email from support requesting that you reduce the size of the repository to bring it back down under 1GB.

In addition, we place a strict limit of files exceeding 100 MB in size. For more information on why this is, see "Working with large files."
      There are other reposistor services though. Bitbucket is very popular, I dont think they host files though.

Bitbucket
      Unlimited private code repositories

Free for 5 users
      Git or Mercurial
      Lightweight code review
      Mac and Windows client
      And GitLab is up and coming and apparently one of the best right now feature wise and can import projets directly from github. Edit: Nevermind 20$ a month.

Advantages over GitHub

Unlimited repositories
      Unlimited private collaborators
      Unlimited disk space*
      Completely free, no credit card required
      Free Continuous Integration (CI) on ci.gitlab.com

* In the future we might charge for projects over 5GB
      Of course theres sourceforge too which can use SVN but I dont know if you can have the public clone and commit.

If you need server space ever I have unlimited bandwidth/space on my server with lots of services and can create and can create ftp accounts in minutes.

Edit: I forgot about google code "One of the project owners must use the project administration page to add your Google account email address to the project.

Most projects have mailing lists that the developers use to discuss the project. To become a developer, first participate on the mailing list by showing your interest in the project and your ability to help the project. Then, ask the project owners to make you a member of the project. "

They allow 5gb repos and 200mb uploads.

Odd though, through github I uploaded close to a couple gigs in one go from the windows client with no warnings it just took hours and im sitting at 3.5 gb for my repo due to all the reference pictures and no warnings yet? *Shrug* maybe cause I have no file over 100 megs. it may be best to have seperate repos for everything you can. I might not be the guy to talk to.
      Last edited by Nsomnia; 03-05-2015, 04:40 PM.
      Tek LLC a personal Candaian Company running BlenderTek & UnrealTek is currently looking for help to bring back submarine simulator gaming with a new genre of sub sims: Cold War! (1945-1991) Operation: Trident SubSim Dev Diary Thread - Donations

Comment

Hi guys, firstly amazing work!

I was just looking on the trello board at some of the new features in development, and noticed some things in the completed section including "Package as Plugin".

Any news on when the next release incorporating these features will be available?

Keep up the good work, you're inspiring this UE4 newbie!

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by ImAndyBate View Post
          Hi guys, firstly amazing work!

I was just looking on the trello board at some of the new features in development, and noticed some things in the completed section including "Package as Plugin".

Any news on when the next release incorporating these features will be available?

Keep up the good work, you're inspiring this UE4 newbie!
          Andy
          Well it was supposed to be released today, I was just trying to set up the project for upload and the plugin is not working.

Hopefully I get it sorted out by tomorrow morning, release is still coming in whatever form it may take. Going to continue to plug away at it this evening.

Thanks for all the GitHub info guys! I'll get back to you on that once this is finished.
          Free Community Ocean & Sky Project || Join us on Discord! || Trello Roadmap

Comment

In regards to "Tessendorf's FFT" I beleive thats how most/all implentations of the Unity Community Ocean Project did wave calculation. You could check out the code without downloading unity as its just .cs text files. Its c# but easily portable.

And @dotcam regarding the underwater plant models you are looking for. What do you need? Static? Animated? I have a great collection of above ground plants in my personal model library and would gladly make some low-poly sea plants/coral etc. depending what exactly you need.
            Last edited by Nsomnia; 03-06-2015, 04:14 AM.
            Tek LLC a personal Candaian Company running BlenderTek & UnrealTek is currently looking for help to bring back submarine simulator gaming with a new genre of sub sims: Cold War! (1945-1991) Operation: Trident SubSim Dev Diary Thread - Donations

Comment

Originally posted by Nsomnia View Post
              In regards to "Tessendorf's FFT" I beleive thats how most/all implentations of the Unity Community Ocean Project did wave calculation. You could check out the code without downloading unity as its just .cs text files. Its c# but easily portable.
              The thing is, with nowadays hardware, it's not a very good idea to calculate FFT on CPU. So if in Unity it's on CPU, then I assume that displacement map is quite small - 64x64 or smth like that. In case of UE4 you can use compute shaders to do the math on GPU. In such case you can use 512x512 map without any problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockwave-peter View Post
                The thing is, with nowadays hardware, it's not a very good idea to calculate FFT on CPU. So if in Unity it's on CPU, then I assume that displacement map is quite small - 64x64 or smth like that. In case of UE4 you can use compute shaders to do the math on GPU. In such case you can use 512x512 map without any problems.

I beleive even half that in Unity I cant remember anymore cause FFTs are over my head.

Comment

I have released my initial code for fish AI found here: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...-(Open-Source)

Comment

Me and Avolanty are ready for the latest version DotCam, we got our boat imported into Unreal just fine from Blender with the rig and everything.

Comment

Just wanted to thank everyone who has participated in this project so far. Great work! Really looking forward to the new version DotCam. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by DotCam View Post
                        Well it was supposed to be released today, I was just trying to set up the project for upload and the plugin is not working.

Hopefully I get it sorted out by tomorrow morning, release is still coming in whatever form it may take. Going to continue to plug away at it this evening.

Thanks for all the GitHub info guys! I'll get back to you on that once this is finished.

Mate, you're a hero!

Really looking forward to testing the new release. Thanks again for all the time and effort that has been into this!

Cheers,

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by ImAndyBate View Post
                          Mate, you're a hero!

Really looking forward to testing the new release. Thanks again for all the time and effort that has been into this!

Cheers,

Andy

Seconded, and myself and Avolanty are ready to add as much as we can for this great project.

Comment

Hi DotCam, Excellent work! is the ocean compatible with mobile devices?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Harminder Singh View Post

Thanks!
                              I would assume yes, but with low performance you would have to port the blueprint to c++ at a minimimum. Framerates are not the greatest even on decent PC hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by Harminder Singh View Post

Thanks!
                                The material is a bit of a monster, 600 instructions using many features mobiles don't support so unfortunately no not at this time. It's something I will look into in the future, right now I am trying to go as realistic as possible and that doesn't work well with mobile usually.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
                                ###################################
                                -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys,

So after a couple days of frustration, I still haven't managed to get the plugin to play nicely with the editor ... But the good news is it extremely close to being ready (just 2 bugs left)!

But I want to upload something while I work out a way to fix it, so here is the updated 4.7 version with some of the new features for you to play around with now:

DOWNLOAD HERE for UE4 ver 4.7.2:
                                If you have Visual Studio installed download here (190mb) - <Link Removed - Now on GitHub>

For those without Visual Studio download here (308mb) - <Link Removed - Now on GitHub>

GitHub Link - https://github.com/UE4-OceanProject/OceanProject

This is only a temporary upload with some of the new additions added in, and will be replaced as soon as the plugin is working. I am almost certain I found the issue, it just needs some more testing. Hopefully this will be fixed over the weekend, but in the meantime I wanted to give you guys something to start playing with for 4.7. I will also add in Handkor's BP system and a brand new Fish Flocking AI system thanks to Komodoman asap (looks awesome dude! Thank you!), but this will be after the GitHub build goes up once the plugin is all good.

Apologies for the delay again... Moment it's ready I will post up a new link!

Thanks!
                                Last edited by DotCam; 03-12-2015, 03:16 PM.
                                Free Community Ocean & Sky Project || Join us on Discord! || Trello Roadmap

Comment

Working...
                                X