Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Community Project] WIP Weather & Ocean Water Shader

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by Avolanty View Post
    Hey guys I got my AI patrolling correctly now here is a video update on it. I will continue working on the combat systems and keep you updated on my progress. This of course is in the 4.6 version and I would like to make it to 4.7 with Hankor's help on the buoyancy. I understand that he needs to make it all in BP only is that still happening?
    Looking good Avolanty!

    Looks like we won't be going to blueprints only in the next version, there are some performance issues currently. I will be uploading a 4.7 version (and a new 4.6 version) asap though.
    Free Community Ocean & Sky Project || Join us on Discord! || Trello Roadmap

    Comment


      Well, we can make do with the C++ if Blueprint cant handle the math. I'm just glad its working for you guys. I would like the idea of a Blueprint version for Buoyancy but I would not want to sacrifice performance at the cost of nice Blueprint format.

      Comment


        Originally posted by LUXO99 View Post
        Hi DotCam,
        I've seen in one of your videos that you have implemented Flocking behavior to make fishes behavior more realistic.
        I'm doing a project for university where I have to implement collision avoidance (steering behaviors, flocking, etc.) and I'm interested in see how you have solved it, if it's possible of course.
        If not, could you give me any advice about how to achieve the behavior... I'm new using unreal 4 and I'm a little bit lost with this monster engine.

        Thank you very much DotCam!!
        Hey LUX,

        That implementation is actually my own, and I will be releasing it to this project very soon, so sit tight

        Comment


          Originally posted by DotCam View Post
          Hey man, wasn't able to make the last Siggraph, but hoping to go to the next! Funny how Canadians seem to be obsessed with water, eh?

          As far as you project goes, please do what is best for you. I would love to have you work on this project as well but I don't want to get in the way of your game whatsoever. So you do what is best for you okay? I totally understand either way.
          I tried Unity 5. Its nice compared to Unity 4 but it was CLEARLY rushed out the door the second they heard UE4 was going free. Its unpolished, unfinished, buggy, etc. and SLOW, the editor is fast I like Unity for that aspect, but the performance sucks I mean. A single cube on a plane with no HDR, no AA and highest detail settings otherwise with their global illumination (which is no better looking than UE4's lighting so far) I was getting 66 fps! Before I would get nearly 200! In UE4 a similar setup nets me 110-130.

          I'm willing to code some things in C++ once I start learning the UE API. Anything you need code wise just ask! Otherwise once I finally get my models ready and my co-founder up to speed on UE to start playing around on my project I'll start making additions on a GitHub (or yours if you set it up soon).

          Not to hijack the thread but does anyone have any game title ideas for our game? A cold war era submarine simulator like Silent Hunter 4&5 but vs Russia instead of Japan/Germany. Red Waters is the only thing I can think of. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

          I hope the 4.7.2 update doesnt break more things...
          Last edited by Nsomnia; 03-04-2015, 01:23 PM.
          Tek LLC a personal Candaian Company running BlenderTek & UnrealTek is currently looking for help to bring back submarine simulator gaming with a new genre of sub sims: Cold War! (1945-1991) Operation: Trident SubSim Dev Diary Thread - Donations

          Comment


            Here is the 100% Blueprint version for anyone to play with. I may have done something stupid which would explain the performance as this was done quickly last night. Performance aside though if anybody just needs a couple of actors to float, this solution is at least more portable.

            Buoyancy 100% Blueprint Implementation

            Comment


              Originally posted by Handkor View Post
              Here is the 100% Blueprint version for anyone to play with. I may have done something stupid which would explain the performance as this was done quickly last night. Performance aside though if anybody just needs a couple of actors to float, this solution is at least more portable.

              Buoyancy 100% Blueprint Implementation
              Thank you for your work and contribution. I will play with it this weekend with the submarine im finishing up if no one puts together any updated versions by then. Got the hull and sail done. Just need to model and animate the moving parts now.
              Tek LLC a personal Candaian Company running BlenderTek & UnrealTek is currently looking for help to bring back submarine simulator gaming with a new genre of sub sims: Cold War! (1945-1991) Operation: Trident SubSim Dev Diary Thread - Donations

              Comment


                Originally posted by Nsomnia View Post
                Thank you for your work and contribution. I will play with it this weekend with the submarine im finishing up if no one puts together any updated versions by then. Got the hull and sail done. Just need to model and animate the moving parts now.
                For your project it would be worth changing the Test Points for buoyancy to a struct with the buoyancy factor applied at each point instead of globally. That way you could simulate ballast and leave the sub neutrally buoyant except at the ballast's locations allowing you to control each one to sink or rise.

                Comment


                  I am currently getting AI to work with the Buoyancy and I will also play with your Blueprint Buoyancy. 4.7 correct? If Nsomnia is interested I have Rigging and Animation experience and can easily get your model rigged and good to go for animation using Maya. Just ask and we can share the FBX Or if you want enemy subs that patrol with the Buoyancy effect(not sure where your at with that) I can share my work. Nsomnia I notice your Sub is very high poly, are you making a movie, or a game? I feel like you can greatly reduce the amount of topology and improve performance by simplifying the mesh and it will still look just as good. Are you using back-face culling?

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by Handkor View Post
                    For your project it would be worth changing the Test Points for buoyancy to a struct with the buoyancy factor applied at each point instead of globally. That way you could simulate ballast and leave the sub neutrally buoyant except at the ballast's locations allowing you to control each one to sink or rise.
                    Hmm never thought about that. I've used various methods to "simulate" ballast and negative tanks (the negative tank is filled with water for a fast dive, and then blown full of air (water in the tank is equal to the weight required to keep her neutrally buoyant) so that the sub is just a tiny, tiny bit positively buoyant when submerged which the planes (the wings) compensate for with a tiny tiny bit of angle up to keep perfect depth).

                    Jotting that idea down. I've had issues in the past with Unity using the typical slice n dice and then raycast from the waters surface and apply force method before. Unless I set the center of mass really really low round hulled ships like to tip over in the smallest of waves.

                    Originally posted by Avolanty View Post
                    I am currently getting AI to work with the Buoyancy and I will also play with your Blueprint Buoyancy. 4.7 correct? If Nsomnia is interested I have Rigging and Animation experience and can easily get your model rigged and good to go for animation using Maya. Just ask and we can share the FBX Or if you want enemy subs that patrol with the Buoyancy effect(not sure where your at with that) I can share my work. Nsomnia I notice your Sub is very high poly, are you making a movie, or a game? I feel like you can greatly reduce the amount of topology and improve performance by simplifying the mesh and it will still look just as good. Are you using back-face culling?
                    I'm always looking for team-members but the moveable surfaces are static right now. They arn't even properly modelled. Check out my github and thread in my siggy see if anything intrests you. I've taken on people for things I hate doing like character modelling for free or just a small 50 dollars in your pocket favor-payment but so far just me and some off-site coders and artists. info@blendertek.com skype blendertek or steam nsomnia if you do wanna talk. Yes, blender uses back-face culling by default, I own Maya but dont know how it works that way. And no I have not optomized it yet for ingame, it will be for cutscenes then I'm gonna cut down every quad I can to get it down a bit. Currently sitting at around 11k tris.

                    Current game status: nothing. I havn't even begun to port my old U-boat work over from unity since its all in c# scripts. I want to start fresh with blueprinting and c++ as I've become a much better coder and developer since then. So far its just some models, some ideas, enough reference material to blow your head off and alot of free time, I'm in talks on a submarine game forum with a fellow member who might join me now that UE is free since he is a Unity guy and in regards to the grant I want the interior of the ship to be nearly like an arch-viz, video talks with the vetern crew members that have helped me etc.

                    Sorry about the off topic!
                    Last edited by Nsomnia; 03-05-2015, 12:55 AM.
                    Tek LLC a personal Candaian Company running BlenderTek & UnrealTek is currently looking for help to bring back submarine simulator gaming with a new genre of sub sims: Cold War! (1945-1991) Operation: Trident SubSim Dev Diary Thread - Donations

                    Comment


                      I sent and email to you Nsomnia at your info@blendertek.com and yes I would love to help you out on your project. I can first help you with the back-face culling in Maya, you have to search for the command in mel and then save it in your shelf for future use I believe there is a youtube video about it. Lets talk about Torpedoes. I recommend that you try another method besides a raycast. For me I use a targeting approach of using rotation and vectors to orientate and then if I need guidance after launch I continue to update the rotation under constant vector speed over a timer to make adjustments with dampening. Of course this would be using the fired projectile BP tool that you can adjust speeds of the actor fired. I feel like a particle effect of a simple torpedo model would work well to create the bubble trail and ripple reflection against the body of the torpedo would be enough. I have fired different types of particles in other videos I have created to give different effects and always wanted to make a slow moving one. Would you like me to create this for you, would take a few days to a week

                      As far as knowing which target to chase for the torpedo we can go with a heat seeking idea using a trigger box that identifies the class and then determines the closest one in range, then call for its location in the projectiles BP adjust rotation etc. Since this was a U-boat era, I'm not sure if you just want blind torpedoes that fire off and stay below the surface of the water. This can be done if we know that desired Z value and I have done this to create the hover effect in my flying car.

                      Sorry I can go on and on about this stuff LOL.

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by Avolanty View Post
                        I sent and email to you Nsomnia at your info@blendertek.com and yes I would love to help you out on your project. I can first help you with the back-face culling in Maya, you have to search for the command in mel and then save it in your shelf for future use I believe there is a youtube video about it. Lets talk about Torpedoes. I recommend that you try another method besides a raycast. For me I use a targeting approach of using rotation and vectors to orientate and then if I need guidance after launch I continue to update the rotation under constant vector speed over a timer to make adjustments with dampening. Of course this would be using the fired projectile BP tool that you can adjust speeds of the actor fired. I feel like a particle effect of a simple torpedo model would work well to create the bubble trail and ripple reflection against the body of the torpedo would be enough. I have fired different types of particles in other videos I have created to give different effects and always wanted to make a slow moving one. Would you like me to create this for you, would take a few days to a week

                        As far as knowing which target to chase for the torpedo we can go with a heat seeking idea using a trigger box that identifies the class and then determines the closest one in range, then call for its location in the projectiles BP adjust rotation etc. Since this was a U-boat era, I'm not sure if you just want blind torpedoes that fire off and stay below the surface of the water. This can be done if we know that desired Z value and I have done this to create the hover effect in my flying car.

                        Sorry I can go on and on about this stuff LOL.
                        Before we those kind've details we should discuss how we will setup our partnership (if any) it seems like you've done submarine games before, makes me curious. Anyways lets keep this to email/skype/steam so that this thread isnt off-topic any longer. Sorry dotty!
                        Tek LLC a personal Candaian Company running BlenderTek & UnrealTek is currently looking for help to bring back submarine simulator gaming with a new genre of sub sims: Cold War! (1945-1991) Operation: Trident SubSim Dev Diary Thread - Donations

                        Comment


                          Alright I think it's time this gets an update. I was hoping to get LOD working seamlessly first, but that will need to be patched in later.

                          Just started migrating assets to a blank project to reduce the project size, lot's of unused assets in my master project I use for testing. I will upload a downloadable version here and upload it to GitHub as the master going forward.

                          So long as there are no issues I should have a download ready later today! Sorry (once again) for the delay...
                          Last edited by DotCam; 03-05-2015, 02:35 PM.
                          Free Community Ocean & Sky Project || Join us on Discord! || Trello Roadmap

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by DotCam View Post
                            Alright I think it's time this gets an update. I was hoping to get LOD working seamlessly first, but that will need to be patched in later.

                            Just started migrating assets to a blank project to reduce the project size, lot's of unused assets in my mater project I use for testing. I will upload a downloadable version here and upload it to GitHub as the master going forward.

                            So long as there are no issues I should have a download ready later today! Sorry (once again) for the delay...
                            Great! Do you have github figured out? Are you going to make memberships available so people can submit bugs, and contributors can submit commits, if so are you going to have seperate branches as in one for your master release one for your working version and one for public additions? Are you going to allow the wiki public-editable? Once I get into your setup more I'd love to help keep the git-hub up to date.
                            Tek LLC a personal Candaian Company running BlenderTek & UnrealTek is currently looking for help to bring back submarine simulator gaming with a new genre of sub sims: Cold War! (1945-1991) Operation: Trident SubSim Dev Diary Thread - Donations

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by Nsomnia View Post
                              Great! Do you have github figured out? Are you going to make memberships available so people can submit bugs, and contributors can submit commits, if so are you going to have seperate branches as in one for your master release one for your working version and one for public additions? Are you going to allow the wiki public-editable? Once I get into your setup more I'd love to help keep the git-hub up to date.
                              To be honest I really don't know what I am doing when it comes to GitHub, I have always used SVN for my projects in the past. So I know how it works just not how to implement it all.

                              But I am pretty sure it will be fairly simple, it doesn't look so bad. I want it to be open enough for bug reports, contributions, and multiple versions (one focused for player/water interaction, underwater FX, swimming etc, and another one focused on the surface/bouyancy, as well as 4.6 / 4.7 / 4.8 etc versions).

                              So the answer to these questions (except the first since I am a GitHub noob) is yes for sure. I really want this to be a project from community for the community so open access is a must.

                              I will add you on skype a little later when I am ready to go for GitHub so you can help with my noobness!
                              Free Community Ocean & Sky Project || Join us on Discord! || Trello Roadmap

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by DotCam View Post
                                ...

                                Sure, although I'm not expert either. A master branch would probly be best that only you can edit (if thats possible, I'd have to check), then a RC branch, and a working branch for public commits. Contributors can only clone the working branch (again if thats possible) and then you can have seperate releases (.zips of all the sources for all the different versions) say v1.0 for 4.6.1 v1.0 for 4.7 v1.0 for 4.7.1. Seperating it into its different components (water interaction, FX, swimming, buoyancy) might be messy. I have no idea, I'm sure you and the community can come up with a clean way for people to get the source, and if they have github themselves, they can clone whatever part they want and make changes.

                                So maybe a main branch that has EVERYTHING. A RC (beta) branch for each of the components and a working branch for each of the components would be my best bet. Youd have 1+x+x (so 1+6+6?) aka alot of branches but it would be organized. Then when you decide progress has been made to warrent a version increment make a new release and just title it "Complete Project v1.01 - 4.8.zip" and you could have "Swimming Project v1.02 - 4.8.zip" and "Water Interaction Project v1.00 - 4.6.1.zip". When seperating a whole project into its individual parts it does create some mess. Thats the one good thing about the Unity community ocean project, everything was in one project and you just removed the scripts etc. that you didnt need for your project. But then again, you guys have already implemented more. Swimming in unitys? Nope. Fish? Nope. Effects? Just some foam and caustics. Underwater? A very alpha ugly version.

                                This came to mind, I dont know if GitHub can even handle a system like this usually its just one whole project split into version branches or alpha/beta/rc/release branches with releases whenever. cant say I've seen a modularized one



                                I see you can add collaberators (project members) but it appears you cant limit their access in anyway. So it seems the public will be able to download any of the files and edit all they want but they cant only upload to Github if you add them as a contributor. So if you have someone working on a certain part you'd want to add them as a collaborator under the project settings so that they can commit changes (edit files) which of course you can revert.
                                Otherwise anyone making changes would need to release their version via medafire/ftp/their own github. I assume only collaboraters can clone the repository (use the command line or a github client to clone the repo that then tracks their file changes that they can commit) and if they are ahead or behind the repository in which case they would sync their clone. Thats my understanding anyway. I could be wrong.

                                Edit: It looks like you can turn your account into an organization too, thatss what epic does, that allows you to have multiple projects under your organization which each have owners (admins) and team members (developers with fine tuned access). Free for open source.

                                Organizations

                                Repository management
                                Fine-grained permissions
                                Focused dashboard
                                Managed by admins

                                On the next screen you’ll be able to grant administrative access to other GitHub users. These people will be able to manage every aspect of the organization (billing, repositories, teams, etc).

                                Completed Set up a personal account
                                Step 2: Set up the organization
                                Step 3: Invite team members
                                Last edited by Nsomnia; 03-05-2015, 04:10 PM.
                                Tek LLC a personal Candaian Company running BlenderTek & UnrealTek is currently looking for help to bring back submarine simulator gaming with a new genre of sub sims: Cold War! (1945-1991) Operation: Trident SubSim Dev Diary Thread - Donations

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X