This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NilsonLima View Post

I will discuss with DotCam if it is OK to have a BP version based of the community ocean, it only needs the infinite ocean system and buoyancy converted to blueprint. Regarding performance it will be fine if using bp nativization. It is not a promisse, he is the ultimate person to agree to this.
    Did we just become best friends!

Comment

Originally posted by CrashA51 View Post

When did ethics and following EPIC's rules become nonsense? When did it become pollution to speak the truth and stand up for people that can't defend themselves? You don't understand, and this is very important.
      I do understand and I realize it's important. But most of the people in this thread, myself included, don't care about this. We subscribe to this thread to get important updates, tips, etc. and we don't need to be notified of your drama or dig through it to find what we're looking for. By all means, keep complaining. Just do it somewhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by speedpacer View Post

I do understand and I realize it's important. But most of the people in this thread, myself included, don't care about this. We subscribe to this thread to get important updates, tips, etc. and we don't need to be notified of your drama or dig through it to find what we're looking for. By all means, keep complaining. Just do it somewhere else.
        Chill speedpacer,.. just hold on a bit.... you don't really understand what is going on.... but that is okay, just relax... please don't side track this, no offense intended, peace, just let Lima give this a try...

Focus on the last few posts... Lima just said, "I will discuss with Dot if it is OK to have a BP version of this Ocean Shader."

Having a "good blueprint water shader in the marketplace".... this is what we are talking about.

We now know from this plug-in, and released games, that UE4 can produce fantastic water, we just don't have it on the Marketplace, ... this would finally put ocean based projects, surface and subsurface, and ship based, in the hands of everyone, and it would make it easier for us to tailor to our specific projects.

Please everyone, give your support to Lima for this effort...

Comment

Chill speedpacer,.. just hold on a bit.... you don't really understand what is going on.... but that is okay, just relax... please don't side track this, no offense intended, peace, just let Lima give this a try...

Focus on the last few posts... Lima just said, "I will discuss with Dot if it is OK to have a BP version of this Ocean Shader."

Having a "good blueprint water shader in the marketplace".... this is what we are talking about.

We now know from this plug-in, and released games, that UE4 can produce fantastic water, we just don't have it on the Marketplace, ... this would finally put ocean based projects, surface and subsurface, and ship based, in the hands of everyone, and it would make it easier for us to tailor to our specific projects.

Please everyone, give your support to Lima for this effort...

I do fully understand what is going on. I've been using this plugin since day one and I was just as excited as everyone else when I saw Jonathan's youtube videos of OceanX, and I remember him and his extra large fonts all over other people's forums, and I remember his github repo going up and down and his Facebook account going on and off line, and I remember him trying to release it as a free asset, and then changing it to NeOcean for $100, and I remember purchasing his asset the day it went on the marketplace and thinking it looked and performed like ****, and the arguments he was getting into with the other ocean asset developer, and I was also given a refund after it was determined by Epic after just a few days that this "talented kid" you keep defending had ripped off other people's code.

I'm also a developer and a huge supporter of open source software and I know that when I need a little piece of code that does something specific, I myself will go see if I can find it somewhere else, I'll test it and if it works, I may put it in my code and change any naming conventions or whatever else in the process. Most all developers do it, it's very common. But it has already been said that these developers looked at his code and said it was a nearly one-to-one match, even their comments. There's a huge difference between borrowing a little piece of someone's reusable code that they posted on Stack Exchange, and copying line by line someone else's code that's protected under an MIT license, right down to the developer's comments, and calling it your own.

What Jonathan should've done is cloned or forked the repository, made his improvements, and submitted a pull request to the owners of this project. What he did instead was make some changes to it and submit it to the market place as his own work. The developers here have confirmed that and the developers at Epic have looked over it and also agree that's what he did. I'm inclined to believe them because they're developers and developers aren't idiots. They were so confident that was the case in fact, that they removed it from the marketplace and refunded everyone their money, and most likely after getting their legal team in on the loop.

You're clearly not a developer or you wouldn't be complaining about a blueprint only project not being on the marketplace, but here you are, telling developers how software licenses work. If these guys say he stole their code and Epic confirmed that it looks like that's what he did, then that's what he did. Get over it! He violated the MIT license under which this software is protected. Nobody in this thread has violated any licenses. You're just complaining because you're not getting your way. If you want to use his crappy, ripped off, resource intensive, overpriced plugin, then stay in touch with him and his gumroad shenanigans, but leave it out of this thread. Nobody in this thread owes you anything.
          Last edited by speedpacer; 08-06-2018, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Guys, please

I am really worried we get this thread locked by moderation, it will be something DotCam would not be happy with and a diservice (not sure if the word exists) to the community. Keep your posts on topic, which are doubts, requests, issues with the asset, and lets all move forward shall we?
            Nilson Lima
            Technical Director @ Rigel Studios Ltda - twitter: @RigelStudios
            Join us at Discord: https://discord.gg/FUwTvzr

UE4 Marketplace: Cloudscape Seasons
            supporting: Community FREE Ocean plugin

Comment

Lima, have you approached Dot yet? Any news? Really appreciate the effort.

Comment

Lima, have you approached Dot yet? Any news? Really appreciate the effort.
                He is with health issues atm, we are still waiting to discuss this with him. Im parallel, I will see if it is feasible to have a blueprint version on the free Ocean Seasons which I was developing and about to integrate with this project after it is done, so one or the other it might happen if I succeed in making a FFT version without compute shaders.
                Nilson Lima

Comment

Thanks for the update... best wishes for Dot, hope he recovers quickly.

Comment

Okay ... I was about to close this thread but at looks as if differences have been sorted and we are all on the same page again. Yay for all of you for not letting the thread de-rail too extensively.
                    Quinton Delpeche
                    Founder - Gobbo Games | Designer - The Colony 2174 (Board Game) | Developer - Riders of Asgard

Comment

Sorry guys, I was caught up in a whirlwind of triggery and deep seated professional issues. I won't let it happen again.

Comment

Hi ALL! I am looking for ways to setup MASKING for my floating creations. I typed masking into the search box for this forum thread and only got 2 pages of results. Then I used CTRL+F to pull up the find feature in Chrome, and put "masking" in there. And I still havent found out how to use masking. Can anyone just point me int he right direction. Im a pretty good self starter if I can read the instructions. I did see the level that demonstrates masking but I wasnt able to figure out how to apply it to my mesh.

Comment

Originally posted by shredder7753 View Post
                          Hi ALL! I am looking for ways to setup MASKING for my floating creations. I typed masking into the search box for this forum thread and only got 2 pages of results. Then I used CTRL+F to pull up the find feature in Chrome, and put "masking" in there. And I still havent found out how to use masking. Can anyone just point me int he right direction. Im a pretty good self starter if I can read the instructions. I did see the level that demonstrates masking but I wasnt able to figure out how to apply it to my mesh.
                          There are different approaches one could tackle to do it. Distance Fields would do the trick but you have two issues: everything including landscape will affect the ocean material and depends a lot on your scene if thats ok or not, second is that at distance you start to lost precision and the mask size reduces in size, meaning that the far the camera is you will need to add some extra offset to compensate.

The pictures below show how to do it for opaque or translucent ocean/water material:

Click image for larger version

Name:	mask_opaque.png
Views:	506
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	1512714

Click image for larger version

Name:	mask_trans.png
Views:	503
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	1512715

Join the discord server for this project at: https://discord.gg/qwESbbW when I get time I will do a quick tutorial on different masking options, but I guess you will do just fine with the tip above. Of course the node connection above would multiply anything else placed in there just in case.
                          Nilson Lima

Comment

Lima,

Just one more last note,

When you speak to Dot, please pass on why this is so important for some of us. I can’t speak for others, but for me, time and the ability to easily customize the ocean shader for my projects, and the lack of a full feature ocean shader on the Marketplace, is the number one reason I would like to see this in BPs on the Markietplace.

Plugins are the more optimized why to go, but with new engine versions coming out almost every month, and all that code to go thru, I would rather start with a BP implementation.

I don’t have a problem with coding… I am a Level 5 Preeminent Advisor for Australia, and I teach at places like Caltec and NASA. I do think water shaders in general are an area better left to real experts.

For me, time is my biggest constraint, and I really support and appreciate that EPIC lets us use the engine, and the Marketplace is getting better all the time, a great place for learning. But, it has always lacked one thing… what we are discussing.

I think Tim Sweeney is a genius for coming up with the BP system, which helped me in many ways. I started messing around with UE3 ten years ago. Then I had to put it on hold… I was diagnoses with stage 4 Ampullary/Pancreatic Cancer and given two months to live. This is not the place to go into it, but I can understand if Dot is dealing with health issues…. It puts life in perspective. And messing around with UE4 helped me pass the time, years of time… but it is hard to concentrate when you are pumped full of Chemo… thus my love for EPIC’s BPs.

Just had my ten year checkup, Dr. called it a miracle, said I am cured. So, I am working as fast as possible on a new project, based on the Amalfi coastline, and one of the major elements is … you guessed it, water.

A full featured ocean shader on the Marketplace would be great, BP implementation even better, but I need more than just a beautiful surface, I need a beautiful underwater environment as well.

There is always hope….
                            Last edited by CrashA51; 08-08-2018, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Lima,

Just one more last note,

When you speak to Dot, please pass on why this is so important for some of us. I can’t speak for others, but for me, time and the ability to easily customize the ocean shader for my projects, and the lack of a full feature ocean shader on the Marketplace, is the number one reason I would like to see this in BPs on the Markietplace.

Plugins are the more optimized why to go, but with new engine versions coming out almost every month, and all that code to go thru, I would rather start with a BP implementation.

I don’t have a problem with coding… I am a Level 5 Preeminent Advisor for Australia, and I teach at places like Caltec and NASA. I do think water shaders in general are an area left to real experts.

For me, time is my biggest constraint, and I really support and appreciate that EPIC lets us use the engine, and the Marketplace is getting better all the time, a great place for learning. But, it has always lacked one thing… what we are discussing.

I think Tim Sweeney is a genius for coming up with the BP system, which helped me in many ways. I started messing around with UE3 ten years ago. Then I had to put it on hold… I was diagnoses with stage 4 Ampullary/Pancreatic Cancer and given two months to live. This is not the place to go into it, but I can understand if Dot is dealing with health issues…. It puts life in perspective. And messing around with UE4 helped me pass the time, years of time… but it is hard to concentrate when you are pumped full of Chemo… thus my love for EPIC’s BPs.

Just had my ten year checkup, Dr. called it a miracle, said I am cured. So, I am working as fast as possible on a new project, based on the Amalfi coastline, and one of the major elements is … you guessed it, water.

A full featured ocean shader on the Marketplace would be great, BP implementation even better, but I need more than just a beautiful surface, I need a beautiful underwater environment as well.

There is always hope….
                              Noted. He will know.

I do know the importance of blueprints. My current asset selling at MP is based in blueprint, thou it was first produced in C++. For me it was an experiment and while I watch the versions coming and go, I do check that version if it is hard to maintain and how it is affected, since the rendering module at engine and related APIs are the ones that most change. I would not disguise, it creeps me out the amount of errors that I see, but meanwhile it is getting better and this C++ version will be released in the future, with even more features and performance.

Back to topic, it is not hard to have a good ocean shader in BP, but the issue is really when you start to add features, the performance suffers too much, and while the material editor is good enough for most of the cases, you are quite limited on what to do to improve performance, even trying to insert some HLSL here and there. Compute shaders are a way to use some extra horse power inside the GPU to parallel some stuff, and this is currently one approach we are going after when developing the FFT and Gerstner version with compute shaders, to be able to add features. The version 4.19 and 4.20 brought to the table some features that we will work, we will develop more materials for each scenario of use and we are sure that the end result will compensate.

As I told you, even if DotCam does not accept the change, I still have my ocean that I will try to have a version in blueprint, therefore you will have one of them for sure, hopefully both. Im just one guy with 24 project ideas, working on 5 simultaneously and not enough time even working 15 hours a day. We will get there, eventually
                              Nilson Lima

Comment

Thank you Lima,

That is fantastic news....

Don't get burned out .... one of my favorite move quotes is "The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long."

Sounds like you could use a vacation...

Comment

Working...
                                X