This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by speedpacer View Post
    CrashA51, enough already. It's been what, a year now? Let it go, man. Stop polluting the forums with this nonsense.
    When did ethics and following EPIC's rules become nonsense? When did it become pollution to speak the truth and stand up for people that can't defend themselves? You don't understand, and this is very important.

Many people are abusing EPIC conduct of behavior, including sellers... they are falsely accusing others, of what they are doing. And they are getting away with it, because people like you are enabling them..... Because of this, we the community are still without a descent full feature water shader on the Marketplace. We had one, but "someone" made sure it was taken down.

Lima, just stop, you and I both know that not a single thing you said in any of these post are true.

You were not even part of this "team" when all this went down. You and others, and the mentioned seller, passed around code you were not allowed to, under EPIC policy, to build a false case against someone, and had him crushed, removed from the Marketplace ... and then you set yourselves up to run this community ocean project. Very self-serving ...

FYI, up to 80 percent of code can be use by others, in their projects, and it is perfectly legal, and right, and it is done by everyone, including you, including EPIC, including the richest man in the world. The Marketplace is about learning, sharing, code! Johnathan enhanced the surface shader, and this project, in only weeks, to the point that we the "community" finally, after years of stagnation, had an ocean shader on the par with Sea of Thieves, that looked fantastic above the below the water line, and he tried to give it to the community for FREE... and it was in BPs!

It was "whoever" that wanted to protect their rice bowls, and refused to work with him, and he was forced to sell his work, because he was not allowed to give it away for free.

For those of you who are happy with this C++ plug-in, and the other Marketplace surface only water shaders, fine, have at it.... this looks great, and a lot of people have invested a lot of time in this... but it is not in the form that we all want... a surface and sub-surface, full feature ocean shader, in BPs, on the Marketplace.

An offer was made a long time ago to take this, put in in BPs, and sell it on the Marketplace... that never happened.

Then a young 20 year old comes along, breathes life in EPIC water shaders, and gives us what many of us want, a BP implementation, that we can modify, and enhance, and not have to go through so much spaghetti code to make changes. And it was great..... and on the Marketplace ... then a false case was built against him, and his offering was removed, and we are back where we were years ago....

Very unethical, and we the "community" are still without a descent water shader on the Marketplace, because of this...

The "seller asked us to remove," ... who is the "us" you are referring to?

Well, never mind... I am not going to get a truthful answer anyways. Enough said..... Lets move on.

Bottom line, many of us that use the Marketplace, and support it with our real bucks, want this, or something like Ocean X, back on the Markeplace, and in BPs if possible. Can you C++ devs running this show now, fulfill that promise made over a year ago, to put this on the Marketplace, and in BPs......

Just asking .... don't need a dissertation of the optimization of C++ plug-ins over BPs ..... there are valid reasons for wanting BPs....

Comment

Originally posted by CrashA51 View Post
      Lima, just stop, you and I both know that not a single thing you said in any of these post are true.

You were not even part of this "team" when all this went down. You and others, and the mentioned seller, passed around code you were not allowed to, under EPIC policy, to build a false case against someone, and had him crushed, removed from the Marketplace ... and then you set yourselves up to run this community ocean project. Very self-serving ...
      Well, it is not productive discuss this ahead, but I have purchased NeOcean (which I was happy with) and got it refunded by Epic. I asked them and they told me it was taked down because of copyright issues, I got the e-mails as proof and even the purchase receipt. I have made myself some videos about NeOcean and posted the results on twitter and with my assets in the marketplace, as a mean to show how the reflection worked well, just to see myself promoting an asset with copyright issues that let me to take down my posts and videos. I was encouraging Johnathan in his posts, we exchanged e-mail and offered him help, but them he LIED to me telling about what he copied and I ended checking the material myself to confirm that was not only what he told me about.

The "us" in my previous post was WellActually from the marketplace team giving the info for DotCam by e-mail. The asset was not taken down because of me, because of EvoPulseGaming or DotCam. We just knew about it way after. The person to fill the complaint with Epic was Theokoles or someone else, maybe both.

I didn't mention in any post that I had access to any asset or when, so you can't infer if that happened or when happened. I didn't purchase OceanX, but I did purchase NeOcean and the copyright infringement was blunt, the buoyancy, the meshes for the ocean plane still had the original import information point the original creator (which was not Johnathan), comments, variable names, things that I confirmed only when the asset went down, not earlier.

I feel the complaints you brought are fair regarding the fact that there is no good blueprint water shader in the marketplace, and that the plugin ones lacks features, but you are encouraged to base your work on whatever source and create it for your own use, several people just purchase assets on the marketplace as a start point, they change it for their use, but they are not allowed to sell it, which is also Epic's MP rules. Of course depending on the amount of changes it might reach to a point a product might start to look so different, that might become hard to tell if it is based of not on something.

I hope I clarified the points, because otherwise I feel we might start being moderated in the thread, which would not serve at all the community or us. So, if any moderator find any comment here are misplaced, I will not complain.
      Nilson Lima
      Technical Director @ Rigel Studios Ltda - twitter: @RigelStudios
      Join us at Discord: https://discord.gg/uFFSEXY

UE4 Marketplace: Cloudscape Seasons
      supporting: Community FREE Ocean plugin

Comment

Bottom line, many of us that use the Marketplace, and support it with our real bucks, want this, or something like Ocean X, back on the Markeplace, and in BPs if possible. Can you C++ devs running this show now, fulfill that promise made over a year ago, to put this on the Marketplace, and in BPs......
        I will discuss with DotCam if it is OK to have a BP version based of the community ocean, it only needs the infinite ocean system and buoyancy converted to blueprint. Regarding performance it will be fine if using bp nativization. It is not a promisse, he is the ultimate person to agree to this.
        Nilson Lima

Comment

Originally posted by NilsonLima View Post

I will discuss with DotCam if it is OK to have a BP version based of the community ocean, it only needs the infinite ocean system and buoyancy converted to blueprint. Regarding performance it will be fine if using bp nativization. It is not a promisse, he is the ultimate person to agree to this.
          Did we just become best friends!

Comment

When did ethics and following EPIC's rules become nonsense? When did it become pollution to speak the truth and stand up for people that can't defend themselves? You don't understand, and this is very important.
            I do understand and I realize it's important. But most of the people in this thread, myself included, don't care about this. We subscribe to this thread to get important updates, tips, etc. and we don't need to be notified of your drama or dig through it to find what we're looking for. By all means, keep complaining. Just do it somewhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by speedpacer View Post

I do understand and I realize it's important. But most of the people in this thread, myself included, don't care about this. We subscribe to this thread to get important updates, tips, etc. and we don't need to be notified of your drama or dig through it to find what we're looking for. By all means, keep complaining. Just do it somewhere else.
              Chill speedpacer,.. just hold on a bit.... you don't really understand what is going on.... but that is okay, just relax... please don't side track this, no offense intended, peace, just let Lima give this a try...

Focus on the last few posts... Lima just said, "I will discuss with Dot if it is OK to have a BP version of this Ocean Shader."

Having a "good blueprint water shader in the marketplace".... this is what we are talking about.

We now know from this plug-in, and released games, that UE4 can produce fantastic water, we just don't have it on the Marketplace, ... this would finally put ocean based projects, surface and subsurface, and ship based, in the hands of everyone, and it would make it easier for us to tailor to our specific projects.

Please everyone, give your support to Lima for this effort...

Comment

Chill speedpacer,.. just hold on a bit.... you don't really understand what is going on.... but that is okay, just relax... please don't side track this, no offense intended, peace, just let Lima give this a try...

Focus on the last few posts... Lima just said, "I will discuss with Dot if it is OK to have a BP version of this Ocean Shader."

Having a "good blueprint water shader in the marketplace".... this is what we are talking about.

We now know from this plug-in, and released games, that UE4 can produce fantastic water, we just don't have it on the Marketplace, ... this would finally put ocean based projects, surface and subsurface, and ship based, in the hands of everyone, and it would make it easier for us to tailor to our specific projects.

Please everyone, give your support to Lima for this effort...

I do fully understand what is going on. I've been using this plugin since day one and I was just as excited as everyone else when I saw Jonathan's youtube videos of OceanX, and I remember him and his extra large fonts all over other people's forums, and I remember his github repo going up and down and his Facebook account going on and off line, and I remember him trying to release it as a free asset, and then changing it to NeOcean for $100, and I remember purchasing his asset the day it went on the marketplace and thinking it looked and performed like ****, and the arguments he was getting into with the other ocean asset developer, and I was also given a refund after it was determined by Epic after just a few days that this "talented kid" you keep defending had ripped off other people's code.

I'm also a developer and a huge supporter of open source software and I know that when I need a little piece of code that does something specific, I myself will go see if I can find it somewhere else, I'll test it and if it works, I may put it in my code and change any naming conventions or whatever else in the process. Most all developers do it, it's very common. But it has already been said that these developers looked at his code and said it was a nearly one-to-one match, even their comments. There's a huge difference between borrowing a little piece of someone's reusable code that they posted on Stack Exchange, and copying line by line someone else's code that's protected under an MIT license, right down to the developer's comments, and calling it your own.

What Jonathan should've done is cloned or forked the repository, made his improvements, and submitted a pull request to the owners of this project. What he did instead was make some changes to it and submit it to the market place as his own work. The developers here have confirmed that and the developers at Epic have looked over it and also agree that's what he did. I'm inclined to believe them because they're developers and developers aren't idiots. They were so confident that was the case in fact, that they removed it from the marketplace and refunded everyone their money, and most likely after getting their legal team in on the loop.

You're clearly not a developer or you wouldn't be complaining about a blueprint only project not being on the marketplace, but here you are, telling developers how software licenses work. If these guys say he stole their code and Epic confirmed that it looks like that's what he did, then that's what he did. Get over it! He violated the MIT license under which this software is protected. Nobody in this thread has violated any licenses. You're just complaining because you're not getting your way. If you want to use his crappy, ripped off, resource intensive, overpriced plugin, then stay in touch with him and his gumroad shenanigans, but leave it out of this thread. Nobody in this thread owes you anything.
                Last edited by speedpacer; 08-06-2018, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Guys, please

I am really worried we get this thread locked by moderation, it will be something DotCam would not be happy with and a diservice (not sure if the word exists) to the community. Keep your posts on topic, which are doubts, requests, issues with the asset, and lets all move forward shall we?
                  Nilson Lima

Comment

Lima, have you approached Dot yet? Any news? Really appreciate the effort.

Comment

Lima, have you approached Dot yet? Any news? Really appreciate the effort.
                      He is with health issues atm, we are still waiting to discuss this with him. Im parallel, I will see if it is feasible to have a blueprint version on the free Ocean Seasons which I was developing and about to integrate with this project after it is done, so one or the other it might happen if I succeed in making a FFT version without compute shaders.
                      Nilson Lima

Comment

Thanks for the update... best wishes for Dot, hope he recovers quickly.

Comment

Okay ... I was about to close this thread but at looks as if differences have been sorted and we are all on the same page again. Yay for all of you for not letting the thread de-rail too extensively.
                          Quinton Delpeche
                          Founder - Gobbo Games | Designer - The Colony 2174 (Board Game) | Developer - Riders of Asgard

Comment

Sorry guys, I was caught up in a whirlwind of triggery and deep seated professional issues. I won't let it happen again.

Comment

Hi ALL! I am looking for ways to setup MASKING for my floating creations. I typed masking into the search box for this forum thread and only got 2 pages of results. Then I used CTRL+F to pull up the find feature in Chrome, and put "masking" in there. And I still havent found out how to use masking. Can anyone just point me int he right direction. Im a pretty good self starter if I can read the instructions. I did see the level that demonstrates masking but I wasnt able to figure out how to apply it to my mesh.

Comment

Originally posted by shredder7753 View Post
                                Hi ALL! I am looking for ways to setup MASKING for my floating creations. I typed masking into the search box for this forum thread and only got 2 pages of results. Then I used CTRL+F to pull up the find feature in Chrome, and put "masking" in there. And I still havent found out how to use masking. Can anyone just point me int he right direction. Im a pretty good self starter if I can read the instructions. I did see the level that demonstrates masking but I wasnt able to figure out how to apply it to my mesh.
                                There are different approaches one could tackle to do it. Distance Fields would do the trick but you have two issues: everything including landscape will affect the ocean material and depends a lot on your scene if thats ok or not, second is that at distance you start to lost precision and the mask size reduces in size, meaning that the far the camera is you will need to add some extra offset to compensate.

The pictures below show how to do it for opaque or translucent ocean/water material:

Click image for larger version

Name:	mask_opaque.png
Views:	1
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	1512714

Click image for larger version

Name:	mask_trans.png
Views:	1
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	1512715

Join the discord server for this project at: https://discord.gg/qwESbbW when I get time I will do a quick tutorial on different masking options, but I guess you will do just fine with the tip above. Of course the node connection above would multiply anything else placed in there just in case.
                                Nilson Lima

Comment

Working...
                                X