Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Community Project] WIP Weather & Ocean Water Shader

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by NilsonLima View Post

    The buoyancy system is tied to the ocean solution, because we need the values for the ocean plane height in order to do the math which is simple: How much is the test point below or above the water? With that you can go and apply the correct force on that test point.

    If not in the ocean, you can create your own buoyancy looking at this: https://t.co/xFxkjYc3MM and look for Simple Buoyancy Physics and Simple Boat Physics template projects.
    Great, thanks. I'll check these out and see how it goes.

    Comment


      Been playing around with some more ideas with the ocean and buoyancy component. Anyone know the best way to get the waves of the ocean to effect a skeletal animated object that was exported from maya?

      I have animated a boat in maya traveling in a straight line then exported that out to UE, added buoyancy components to the boats BP and I've also added a physical animation component to the boats BP. I'm basically trying to get the boat to maintain the animation of it traveling in a straight line, but with the added effect of it being effected with the waves of the ocean, kinda like an additive motion on top of the boat animation. With the additive motion mostly coming from the buoyancy component reacting with the ocean waves.

      Wondering if what I'm doing is the best way to go about it? So far my approach of using a physical animation component seems to almost work, except towards the end of the animation the boat
      will lift off the ocean surface. kinda like a plane taking off a runway, either that or the boat will stay on the surface of the ocean but it'll keep going forever. Even when the source animation of the boat as stopped moving.

      Comment


        Originally posted by skywaves View Post
        Been playing around with some more ideas with the ocean and buoyancy component. Anyone know the best way to get the waves of the ocean to effect a skeletal animated object that was exported from maya?

        I have animated a boat in maya traveling in a straight line then exported that out to UE, added buoyancy components to the boats BP and I've also added a physical animation component to the boats BP. I'm basically trying to get the boat to maintain the animation of it traveling in a straight line, but with the added effect of it being effected with the waves of the ocean, kinda like an additive motion on top of the boat animation. With the additive motion mostly coming from the buoyancy component reacting with the ocean waves.

        Wondering if what I'm doing is the best way to go about it? So far my approach of using a physical animation component seems to almost work, except towards the end of the animation the boat
        will lift off the ocean surface. kinda like a plane taking off a runway, either that or the boat will stay on the surface of the ocean but it'll keep going forever. Even when the source animation of the boat as stopped moving.
        I would not animate in Maya, but instead would set sequencer to move the boat along the ocean. If you do change only the x and y coordinates and let the z untouched, the buoyancy will adjust the height alone while sequencer will move it along. You can also set a loop in sequencer so you can like do a patrol in an area.
        Nilson Lima
        Technical Director @ Rigel Studios Ltda - twitter: @RigelStudios
        Join us at Discord: https://discord.gg/FUwTvzr

        UE4 Marketplace: Cloudscape Seasons
        supporting: Community FREE Ocean plugin

        Comment


          Originally posted by NilsonLima View Post

          I would not animate in Maya, but instead would set sequencer to move the boat along the ocean. If you do change only the x and y coordinates and let the z untouched, the buoyancy will adjust the height alone while sequencer will move it along. You can also set a loop in sequencer so you can like do a patrol in an area.
          I don't think I can really avoid not creating the initial motion in maya first. The boat traveling in a straight line example can be done without maya, I'm mostly using the straight line idea as simple base to start from and if that works then I scale up from there. As the end effect that I'm trying to achieve is going to be a lot more complex than a boat moving in a straight line.

          I've been playing around with combing physical animation node with a buoyancy node, it almost works but need to fiddle around a lot with the physical animation settings till it starts doing the
          effect that I was after. My main problem now is that the boat just doesn't stop at all when I need to stop, even if I set all the physics animation node settings down to 0.0.


          Comment


            Originally posted by skywaves View Post

            I don't think I can really avoid not creating the initial motion in maya first. The boat traveling in a straight line example can be done without maya, I'm mostly using the straight line idea as simple base to start from and if that works then I scale up from there. As the end effect that I'm trying to achieve is going to be a lot more complex than a boat moving in a straight line.

            I've been playing around with combing physical animation node with a buoyancy node, it almost works but need to fiddle around a lot with the physical animation settings till it starts doing the
            effect that I was after. My main problem now is that the boat just doesn't stop at all when I need to stop, even if I set all the physics animation node settings down to 0.0.

            I still vow for the Sequencer idea, you can do complex stuff with it, not to mention there is less things to worry regarding assets moving between Maya and Unreal. Im quite busy working on the new ocean version or I would demonstrate this in a video and post here. When I am about to finish here I will contact you and if you didn't find a solution I will make the video.
            Nilson Lima
            Technical Director @ Rigel Studios Ltda - twitter: @RigelStudios
            Join us at Discord: https://discord.gg/FUwTvzr

            UE4 Marketplace: Cloudscape Seasons
            supporting: Community FREE Ocean plugin

            Comment


              Seems like there is some flickering on the shader in 4.20.

              EDIT: This is how it looks like: https://gyazo.com/05d251a68fb64733bce7753d5f8a535d
              Last edited by AmbiguousInt; 07-20-2018, 07:01 PM.
              Twitter | Twitch

              Comment


                Originally posted by NilsonLima View Post

                I still vow for the Sequencer idea, you can do complex stuff with it, not to mention there is less things to worry regarding assets moving between Maya and Unreal. Im quite busy working on the new ocean version or I would demonstrate this in a video and post here. When I am about to finish here I will contact you and if you didn't find a solution I will make the video.

                Thanks, NilsonLima. Just getting back into this and started playing around the the sequencer idea further, but I was getting some odd results. Which is probably caused by me probably doing it wrong. So far I've had the most success with using forces to push the boat around.

                Also, does anyone know if the advanced buoyancy will work on a skeletal mesh as well? Tried it out with a skeletal mesh instead of a static mesh and with skeletal mesh I just get an
                error saying "mesh missed".

                Thanks.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by skywaves View Post


                  Thanks, NilsonLima. Just getting back into this and started playing around the the sequencer idea further, but I was getting some odd results. Which is probably caused by me probably doing it wrong. So far I've had the most success with using forces to push the boat around.

                  Also, does anyone know if the advanced buoyancy will work on a skeletal mesh as well? Tried it out with a skeletal mesh instead of a static mesh and with skeletal mesh I just get an
                  error saying "mesh missed".

                  Thanks.
                  I have played with skeletal meshes and the buoyancy like 2 years ago, so I really don't remember all of it, so I guess if I can't find the project I messed with it I will need to recreate one from scratch, but I do remember I made the 3rd person character float, thou not in a perfect simulation because I have wrongly put test points in the hands and feet, which is not correct, the test points needs to be put in head, torso and hips.

                  Hopefully I will get rid of some work Im almost finished and I will make a video to show how to approach the solution. If possible, I will deal with the Sequencer for the boat animation aswel, maybe a separate video for it too.
                  Nilson Lima
                  Technical Director @ Rigel Studios Ltda - twitter: @RigelStudios
                  Join us at Discord: https://discord.gg/FUwTvzr

                  UE4 Marketplace: Cloudscape Seasons
                  supporting: Community FREE Ocean plugin

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by NilsonLima View Post

                    I have played with skeletal meshes and the buoyancy like 2 years ago, so I really don't remember all of it, so I guess if I can't find the project I messed with it I will need to recreate one from scratch, but I do remember I made the 3rd person character float, thou not in a perfect simulation because I have wrongly put test points in the hands and feet, which is not correct, the test points needs to be put in head, torso and hips.

                    Hopefully I will get rid of some work Im almost finished and I will make a video to show how to approach the solution. If possible, I will deal with the Sequencer for the boat animation aswel, maybe a separate video for it too.
                    Any update on the issue of 4.20 I posted above?
                    Twitter | Twitch

                    Comment


                      Excuse me for stupid question but there is no instructions on Github. Should I merge the OceanProgect with UE4 source code and compile in order to make this work?

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by script526 View Post
                        Excuse me for stupid question but there is no instructions on Github. Should I merge the OceanProgect with UE4 source code and compile in order to make this work?
                        If you follow this video is enough to migrate the project and make it work:
                        Nilson Lima
                        Technical Director @ Rigel Studios Ltda - twitter: @RigelStudios
                        Join us at Discord: https://discord.gg/FUwTvzr

                        UE4 Marketplace: Cloudscape Seasons
                        supporting: Community FREE Ocean plugin

                        Comment


                          NilsonLima thank you!

                          Comment


                            @NilsonLima In the video on 32:25 when the sky is orange you're connecting the SkySphere to Directional Light and the sky turns into blue but the ocean still keeps reflecting the orange color a little bit. How do you avoid this? Thanks in advance!

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by script526 View Post
                              @NilsonLima In the video on 32:25 when the sky is orange you're connecting the SkySphere to Directional Light and the sky turns into blue but the ocean still keeps reflecting the orange color a little bit. How do you avoid this? Thanks in advance!
                              Basically it goes off when you hit play, because the sky is one blueprint and it takes the sunlight vector on its own, while the ocean uses another blueprint to retrieve the sunlight vector and stores it in a Material Parameter Collection which is only updated during play.
                              Nilson Lima
                              Technical Director @ Rigel Studios Ltda - twitter: @RigelStudios
                              Join us at Discord: https://discord.gg/FUwTvzr

                              UE4 Marketplace: Cloudscape Seasons
                              supporting: Community FREE Ocean plugin

                              Comment


                                NilsonLima alright thanks!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X