This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NilsonLima View Post
    MagicBlueFrog I got the bug listed now at this link: https://issues.unrealengine.com/issue/UE-59149, so it was indeed reproduced by the dev team and is on the track for a fix. It is useful for everyone to help this out by going to the issue and vote it for more attention for a fix.
    Great work, thanks! I voted it up. Seems like a pretty serious bug, hard to believe it went unnoticed for so long.

Comment

Originally posted by MagicBlueFrog View Post

Great work, thanks! I voted it up. Seems like a pretty serious bug, hard to believe it went unnoticed for so long.
      Lets hope more ppl vote on it to get it the status is deserves.
      Nilson Lima
      Technical Director @ Rigel Studios Ltda - twitter: @RigelStudios
      Join us at Discord: https://discord.gg/uFFSEXY

UE4 Marketplace: Cloudscape Seasons
      supporting: Community FREE Ocean plugin

Comment

Originally posted by DotCam View Post

Yeah I can see what you mean, it's doing pretty much nothing at the moment... I'll keep working on it today and see if I can figure out what's going wrong, probably a material setting, but will let you know when I figure it out!
        Thanks a lot!

Update: I think I've found the problem already, The "Translucency Sort Priority" of the wake was too low, it was set to 0 for both the ocean plane and the wake mesh, so the engine didn't get the order right for rendering, and rendered the ocean plane on top of the wake plane. By giving the wake plane a higher Translucency Sort Priority" than the ocean plane the problem is solved.

See also https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-us/...o/Transparency at the bottom for more info on this topic
        Last edited by CommandOfTheSea; 05-18-2018, 04:32 AM.

Comment

Hi, I have just discovered this project and installed the plugin and checked out the maps.. A very very welcome done job. Just one question, if I used this Ocean Project in my game and I released my game. It's ok?

Comment

Originally posted by ZeroVector View Post
            Hi, I have just discovered this project and installed the plugin and checked out the maps.. A very very welcome done job. Just one question, if I used this Ocean Project in my game and I released my game. It's ok?
            There is a license file which goes along with the project in the Github that answers that, and the answer is yes. The only thing you can't do is resell the plugin itself, but any Unreal Content in a binary form you can sell as you please. The project is free to use and expand. I would strongly suggest to you check the previous posts and get into the Discord server for news, roadmap access, new others which are using the asset, etc

Cheers!
            Nilson Lima

Comment

Originally posted by NilsonLima View Post

There is a license file which goes along with the project in the Github that answers that, and the answer is yes. The only thing you can't do is resell the plugin itself, but any Unreal Content in a binary form you can sell as you please. The project is free to use and expand. I would strongly suggest to you check the previous posts and get into the Discord server for news, roadmap access, new others which are using the asset, etc

Cheers!
              Thanks for the info, I am on Discord so will be adding.. I'm going to try using it with the Voxel Plugin, so will keep you all posted on how it goes

Comment

Originally posted by ZeroVector View Post

Thanks for the info, I am on Discord so will be adding.. I'm going to try using it with the Voxel Plugin, so will keep you all posted on how it goes
                This is the Discord link for the Ocean Project: https://discord.gg/tSuuV2g
                Nilson Lima

Comment

Hi, we are using this excellent project in our game and on the PC front, performance wise, everything is absolutely fine (Unreal 4.18.3 and 4.19.2). On the (original) Xbox One though - it is a different story. On 4.18 we managed to run the chapter that is using BP_ocean class to run at almost 900p at mostly steady 30FPS which at this point is good enough for the original Xbox One (pre S version). Sadly, we cannot ship with 4.18 version of the engine and on 4.19 there's a huge performance hit. For the records, on Xbox One X the same chapter is running almost all the time at a native 4K (using dynamic res option of 4.19). On the original Xbox however, even at 720p with the same settings like those in 4.18, the game is running between 20-23FPS. After a few debug test it is more than clear that this is GPU related problem (frametime is between 65-70ms).

My question is - are there any specific 4.19 changes that can impact our performance and also, does anyone know any specific optimized settings just using the variables in the BP_ocean class?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by tosith View Post
                    Hi, we are using this excellent project in our game and on the PC front, performance wise, everything is absolutely fine (Unreal 4.18.3 and 4.19.2). On the (original) Xbox One though - it is a different story. On 4.18 we managed to run the chapter that is using BP_ocean class to run at almost 900p at mostly steady 30FPS which at this point is good enough for the original Xbox One (pre S version). Sadly, we cannot ship with 4.18 version of the engine and on 4.19 there's a huge performance hit. For the records, on Xbox One X the same chapter is running almost all the time at a native 4K (using dynamic res option of 4.19). On the original Xbox however, even at 720p with the same settings like those in 4.18, the game is running between 20-23FPS. After a few debug test it is more than clear that this is GPU related problem (frametime is between 65-70ms).

My question is - are there any specific 4.19 changes that can impact our performance and also, does anyone know any specific optimized settings just using the variables in the BP_ocean class?

Thanks in advance.
                    Hello,

Unfortunately, I don't have good news for you... I've been reading through issues on Answerhub and came across a post (can't find it atm, will edit this and post the link when I do) detailing a huge performance bug in 4.19 with the Planar Reflection actor. If I remember correctly the bug affects lower end systems much worse, which makes sense why it only becomes an issue on xbox.

It really sucks that this occurred when you are ready to ship, I wish there was some way I could help out. Good news is that 4.20 preview should be coming out soon. I know you aren't going to want to release from a preview build, but there have been a lot of performance issues and crashing in 4.19 so I can't see them continuing to support it beyond 4.19.3.

To confirm it is the Planar Reflections, select BP_Ocean, then in the details panel select the PlanarReflection component and scroll down to the Rendering section and deselect the visible checkbox. This effectively disables planar reflections as you can see from the lack of reflections in the image below.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Forums_Planar02.JPG Views:	1 Size:	512.1 KB ID:	1478349

In my testing on a GTX1080 & 8700k the difference was a little bit more than 1ms faster without planar reflections, but this is in the demo project, a game project targeting xbox should see a big increase in performance. Do this on the 4.18 project as well and then compare the numbers to see if they are similar, if they are then something else is causing the issue so please let me know what you find out.

Thanks!
                    Free Community Ocean & Sky Project || Join us on Discord! || Trello Roadmap

Comment

Ahoy! I'm trying to run the master branch from github on a source-built 4.18.2 engine and am getting a slew of errors when trying to compile the project, all of which seem to be in AdvancedBuoyancyComponent.cpp:

Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
                      Error (active) E0135 class "FStaticMeshLODResources" has no member "VertexBuffers" OceanProject c:\Users\Piepants\Downloads\OceanProject-master\OceanProject-master\Plugins\OceanPlugin\Source\OceanPlugin\Private\AdvancedBuoyancyComponent\AdvancedBuoyancyComponent.cpp 225
                      Error (active) E0135 class "FStaticMeshLODResources" has no member "VertexBuffers" OceanProject c:\Users\Piepants\Downloads\OceanProject-master\OceanProject-master\Plugins\OceanPlugin\Source\OceanPlugin\Private\AdvancedBuoyancyComponent\AdvancedBuoyancyComponent.cpp 227
                      Error (active) E0135 class "FStaticMeshLODResources" has no member "VertexBuffers" OceanProject c:\Users\Piepants\Downloads\OceanProject-master\OceanProject-master\Plugins\OceanPlugin\Source\OceanPlugin\Private\AdvancedBuoyancyComponent\AdvancedBuoyancyComponent.cpp 257
                      Error (active) E0135 class "FStaticMeshLODResources" has no member "VertexBuffers" OceanProject c:\Users\Piepants\Downloads\OceanProject-master\OceanProject-master\Plugins\OceanPlugin\Source\OceanPlugin\Private\AdvancedBuoyancyComponent\AdvancedBuoyancyComponent.cpp 260
                      Error C2039 'VertexBuffers': is not a member of 'FStaticMeshLODResources' OceanProject C:\Users\Piepants\Downloads\OceanProject-master\OceanProject-master\Plugins\OceanPlugin\Source\OceanPlugin\Private\AdvancedBuoyancyComponent\AdvancedBuoyancyComponent.cpp 225
                      Error C2228 left of '.PositionVertexBuffer' must have class/struct/union OceanProject C:\Users\Piepants\Downloads\OceanProject-master\OceanProject-master\Plugins\OceanPlugin\Source\OceanPlugin\Private\AdvancedBuoyancyComponent\AdvancedBuoyancyComponent.cpp 225
                      Error C2228 left of '.VertexBufferRHI' must have class/struct/union OceanProject C:\Users\Piepants\Downloads\OceanProject-master\OceanProject-master\Plugins\OceanPlugin\Source\OceanPlugin\Private\AdvancedBuoyancyComponent\AdvancedBuoyancyComponent.cpp 225
                      Error C2227 left of '->GetSize' must point to class/struct/union/generic type OceanProject C:\Users\Piepants\Downloads\OceanProject-master\OceanProject-master\Plugins\OceanPlugin\Source\OceanPlugin\Private\AdvancedBuoyancyComponent\AdvancedBuoyancyComponent.cpp 225
                      Error C2039 'VertexBuffers': is not a member of 'FStaticMeshLODResources' OceanProject C:\Users\Piepants\Downloads\OceanProject-master\OceanProject-master\Plugins\OceanPlugin\Source\OceanPlugin\Private\AdvancedBuoyancyComponent\AdvancedBuoyancyComponent.cpp 242
                      Error C2228 left of '.PositionVertexBuffer' must have class/struct/union OceanProject C:\Users\Piepants\Downloads\OceanProject-master\OceanProject-master\Plugins\OceanPlugin\Source\OceanPlugin\Private\AdvancedBuoyancyComponent\AdvancedBuoyancyComponent.cpp 242
                      Error C2661 'UAdvancedBuoyancyComponent::PopulateTrianglesFromStaticMesh::EURCMacro_GetMyBuffers::EURCMacro_GetMyBuffers': no overloaded function takes 3 arguments OceanProject C:\Users\Piepants\Downloads\OceanProject-master\OceanProject-master\Plugins\OceanPlugin\Source\OceanPlugin\Private\AdvancedBuoyancyComponent\AdvancedBuoyancyComponent.cpp 227
                      Error C2039 'VertexBuffers': is not a member of 'FStaticMeshLODResources' OceanProject C:\Users\Piepants\Downloads\OceanProject-master\OceanProject-master\Plugins\OceanPlugin\Source\OceanPlugin\Private\AdvancedBuoyancyComponent\AdvancedBuoyancyComponent.cpp 257
                      Error C2228 left of '.PositionVertexBuffer' must have class/struct/union OceanProject C:\Users\Piepants\Downloads\OceanProject-master\OceanProject-master\Plugins\OceanPlugin\Source\OceanPlugin\Private\AdvancedBuoyancyComponent\AdvancedBuoyancyComponent.cpp 257
                      Error C2039 'VertexBuffers': is not a member of 'FStaticMeshLODResources' OceanProject C:\Users\Piepants\Downloads\OceanProject-master\OceanProject-master\Plugins\OceanPlugin\Source\OceanPlugin\Private\AdvancedBuoyancyComponent\AdvancedBuoyancyComponent.cpp 260
                      Error C2228 left of '.PositionVertexBuffer' must have class/struct/union OceanProject C:\Users\Piepants\Downloads\OceanProject-master\OceanProject-master\Plugins\OceanPlugin\Source\OceanPlugin\Private\AdvancedBuoyancyComponent\AdvancedBuoyancyComponent.cpp 260
                      Error C2228 left of '.GetStride' must have class/struct/union OceanProject C:\Users\Piepants\Downloads\OceanProject-master\OceanProject-master\Plugins\OceanPlugin\Source\OceanPlugin\Private\AdvancedBuoyancyComponent\AdvancedBuoyancyComponent.cpp 260
                      Error Failed to produce item: C:\Users\Piepants\Downloads\OceanProject-master\OceanProject-master\Plugins\OceanPlugin\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Development\UE4Editor-OceanPlugin.suppressed.exp OceanProject C:\Users\Piepants\Downloads\OceanProject-master\OceanProject-master\Intermediate\ProjectFiles\ERROR 1
                      Error MSB3075 The command ""C:\Games\UE4 Source\4.18.2\UnrealEngine-release\Engine\Build\BatchFiles\Build.bat" OceanProjectEditor Win64 Development "C:\Users\Piepants\Downloads\OceanProject-master\OceanProject-master\OceanProject.uproject" -waitmutex" exited with code 5. Please verify that you have sufficient rights to run this command. OceanProject C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\VC\VCTargets\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets 44

I checked the AdvancedBuoyancyComponent.h FBuoyancyVertex and FForceTriangle structs and they both have (BlueprintType) declared after USTRUCT. Anyone have any ideas on what's going on?

Thanks!

Comment

guys, note that packaging and launching the game as a linux headless server results in signal 11 segmentation fault
                        caused by ocean bp is not able to load heightmap texture. either add some "is valid" check in c++ or... something
                        took a day to figure out

Comment

Originally posted by Swdan View Post
                          guys, note that packaging and launching the game as a linux headless server results in signal 11 segmentation fault
                          caused by ocean bp is not able to load heightmap texture. either add some "is valid" check in c++ or... something
                          took a day to figure out
                          Thanks for the heads up! I will update at the GitHub issue list and as soon we can check this we will update the repository.

PS: issue added
                          Last edited by NilsonLima; 06-02-2018, 09:32 AM.
                          Nilson Lima

Comment

Wow, this "community" ocean shader was started four years ago, and still going strong. Four years ago development on Sea of Thieves also began. That game has some of the best water in any game, on any platform, both above and below the waterline, and it uses UE4! Never though I would see that day.... did Rare develop their ocean shader from scratch, or build it upon Nvidia Wave Works, anyone know? This video does explain how they achieved such beautiful colors with time of day, region, and weather changes, using a single Blueprint https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPQ0ksLKFyo

Comment

Originally posted by Swdan View Post
                              took a day to figure out
                              Sorry about that, not sure how that was missed but I will add it in shortly. Thank you for reporting it!

Here's the issue on GitHub: https://github.com/UE4-OceanProject/...ject/issues/82
                              Last edited by DotCam; 06-02-2018, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CrashA51 View Post
                                Wow, this "community" ocean shader was started four years ago, and still going strong. Four years ago development on Sea of Thieves also began. That game has some of the best water in any game, on any platform, both above and below the waterline, and it uses UE4! Never though I would see that day.... did Rare develop their ocean shader from scratch, or build it upon Nvidia Wave Works, anyone know? This video does explain how they achieved such beautiful colors with time of day, region, and weather changes, using a single Blueprint https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPQ0ksLKFyo
                                It is probably the best water I have seen done in UE4 (or any engine for that matter), absolutely love their work. They are using a custom built FFT based formula to generate the waves. I don't believe it is based on Nvidia WaveWorks, it looks very similar because that's just the "look" you get with a FFT generated wave, it's much more natural looking.

Thanks for the link! This should be very helpful, really appreciate that!

I should probably buy this game shouldn't I lol. It's my favorite "Technical" element in games right now, just stunning work.

Comment

Working...
                                X