Clear All

Our school is currently using 4.6, so I'm sort of forced into that boat atm

Comment

My vote is 4.7, Gotta take advantage of all the sweet new stuff 8]
      KITATUS
      "Information shouldn't be behind a paywall, It should be free for all!"

Comment

Originally posted by Handkor View Post
        I just updated my project to 4.7 and a bunch of stuff is broken. At this point I think I will remake the OceanManager in pure blueprint and use the new blueprint components to make buoyancy components. Will lead to easier integration with no C++.
        Hey Handkor!

I have managed to find a way around that issue in 4.7. They made a lot of changes to the UMovementComponent class to add in the blueprint functionality, with the specific change being the UpdatadComponent property going from a UPrimitiveComponent to a USceneComponent. The USceneComponent does not have access to the linear/angular damping functions, which is the only problem that needs to be fixed.

Luckily they must have foreseen this being an issue and added a new UPrimitiveComponent based property named UpdatedPrimitive. To fix up the code just replace each of the UpdatedComponent values throwing the error and replace it with UpdatedPrimitive, everything compiles and runs the same as before.

But I do agree with you on the blueprint components, I was planning to work on that once I get a LOD system working. For a head start on it I will zip up the nearly complete OceanManager blueprint later on (it is also in the original download). There are a few functions that will no longer be necessary, but the creation of the Gerstner waves is basically done.
        Free Community Ocean & Sky Project || Join us on Discord! || Trello Roadmap

Comment

Originally posted by DotCam View Post
          Hey Handkor!

I have managed to find a way around that issue in 4.7. They made a lot of changes to the UMovementComponent class to add in the blueprint functionality, with the specific change being the UpdatadComponent property going from a UPrimitiveComponent to a USceneComponent. The USceneComponent does not have access to the linear/angular damping functions, which is the only problem that needs to be fixed.

Luckily they must have foreseen this being an issue and added a new UPrimitiveComponent based property named UpdatedPrimitive. To fix up the code just replace each of the UpdatedComponent values throwing the error and replace it with UpdatedPrimitive, everything compiles and runs the same as before.

But I do agree with you on the blueprint components, I was planning to work on that once I get a LOD system working. For a head start on it I will zip up the nearly complete OceanManager blueprint later on (it is also in the original download). There are a few functions that will no longer be necessary, but the creation of the Gerstner waves is basically done.
          Yeah I found the fix for the code easily but I mean the rest of my project is screwed up, not the ocean part. I figured if I restart that whole project I might as well rewrite the gertsner wave in blueprint too.

Comment

I'm on 4.7 so +1 for the the new version and any new features that it brings although I havnt even tried it yet. I JUST updated my subscription yesterday and compiled it last night. Cancelled my Unity subscription today. Going to test your setup this weekend (if I can work through the version bugs).
            Tek LLC a personal Candaian Company running BlenderTek & UnrealTek is currently looking for help to bring back submarine simulator gaming with a new genre of sub sims: Cold War! (1945-1991) Operation: Trident SubSim Dev Diary Thread - Donations

Comment

Originally posted by Handkor View Post
              Yeah I found the fix for the code easily but I mean the rest of my project is screwed up, not the ocean part. I figured if I restart that whole project I might as well rewrite the gertsner wave in blueprint too.
              I want to get on board with you on this I already have working AI ships in 4.6 using your buoyancy method. However I'm running into small issues of acceptance radius for triggering movement to a new way point. But other then that its working, the Ai is moving to the way point. I made a change to use the capsule as the buoyancy effect object rather then the mesh, but now I'm thinking about how the mesh use to trigger the way point just fine in my flying drones. I'll let you know where I'm at later in the week. But keep me up to date with your progress I would like to see it work in blueprint, I know the complexity of your C++ and how it makes things easier to construct the functions you need so I wish you luck on using the function BP method.

Comment

I'm going to try starting a project with this today for my Submarine Simulator game. Any tips for using 4.7/4.7.1?
                Tek LLC a personal Candaian Company running BlenderTek & UnrealTek is currently looking for help to bring back submarine simulator gaming with a new genre of sub sims: Cold War! (1945-1991) Operation: Trident SubSim Dev Diary Thread - Donations

Comment

Hey DotCam,

Firstly, thank you so much for this contribution to the community. Amazing work!

I saw on your Trello that you have the Ocean shader as a plugin in the completed section of Trello. Does this mean its available?

I may just be looking in the wrong place, but wanted to check.

Thanks agin for all this hard work, you're a hero!

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Nsomnia View Post
                    I'm going to try starting a project with this today for my Submarine Simulator game. Any tips for using 4.7/4.7.1?
                    For 4.7 you will need to change the code slightly as mentioned above in my reply to Handkor. To make this even easier, download this zip file and extract the "BuoyancyMovementComponent.cpp" file into this folder:

\OceanDemo\Source\OceanDemo

and choose yes when it asks you if you want to overwrite the file. With that in place launch UE 4.7, browse to the OceanDemo folder and open the *.uproject file. It will ask you if you want to convert in place or create a copy, either way is fine if you don't plan to go back to 4.6.1, and it will then compile the code and open up.

Let me know if you run into any problems, it should work just fine though.

Originally posted by ImAndyBate View Post
                    Hey DotCam,

Firstly, thank you so much for this contribution to the community. Amazing work!

I saw on your Trello that you have the Ocean shader as a plugin in the completed section of Trello. Does this mean its available?

I may just be looking in the wrong place, but wanted to check.

Thanks agin for all this hard work, you're a hero!

Andy
                    Hey Andy,

It is not out yet unfortunately ... I'm trying to get an LOD system operational first but might end up releasing it earlier without if I can't get this to play nicely. I moved those features into the Completed section but should have noted it was completed *for the next release (I will try and have it out this weekend).

Sorry for the confusion, just ran into some issues. Thanks!

Comment

I'm curious and havnt read it anywhere... other than yourself DotCam how many other people are committing to the project?

Comment

Originally posted by Nsomnia View Post
                        I'm curious and havnt read it anywhere... other than yourself DotCam how many other people are committing to the project?
                        Hey man,

As far as dedicated to the project, it is currently only myself, however I have received contributions from quite a few users to the project. Handkor has provided code to the project, Tk-Master has helped out with the material, Komodoman has offered his Fish Flocking AI as well as a bunch of different fish species for the underwater portion. There have been many other small contributions from others as well.

I am open to any and all help with the project as I am not always able to give my full attention to this as much as I would like. I do want this to be a community project, and have thought about moving everything to GitHub to allow more collaboration. Any ideas are welcome, and would love to hear any/all feedback on how to make this better for everyone.

Thanks!
                        Last edited by DotCam; 02-28-2015, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Hey,

great job on the water, I really like it so far. Also the plans you have for it sound great.

I copied the water over to my project and it looks great, but I just have one issue, like you can see in the picture, in a certain radius around my island, the water gets those open spaces. On the left side, its alright, but on the right you can see where the radius starts.

I have not found a way to fix this yet. Hope you can help me out with it

Click image for larger version

Name:	water_problems.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	1067341

Thanks a lot and keep up the good work

Comment

Originally posted by DotCam View Post
                            Hey man,

As far as dedicated to the project, it is currently only myself, however I have received contributions from quite a few users to the project. Handkor has provided code to the project, Tk-Master has helped out with the material, Komodoman has offered his Fish Flocking AI as well as a bunch of different fish species for the underwater portion. There have been many other small contributions from others as well.

I am open to any and all help with the project as I am not always able to give my full attention to this as much as I would like. I do want this to be a community project, and have thought about moving everything to GitHub to allow more collaboration. Any ideas are welcome, and would love to hear any/all feedback on how to make this better for everyone.

Thanks!
                            GitHub is a great idea. You can have a release branch, a release candidate branch for accepted merged contributions, and a working branch for the public. Anyone that wants to make contributions sign up and they clone the repo then when they make a change(s) they commit it to the repo with a note of what they changed and if you or another admin doesnt like it, you revert to the last commit. I'm using it for my project and it works great.

Id suggest that to get more people on board and to centralize all information (Readmes in every directory, a wiki, bug tracker, comment system, unlimited storage space, backup system, revert/apply changes at will, contributors of admin or user status, multiple branches) you know how it works im sure. Once I get my project files from Unity all switched over to Unreal I plan to make many additions especially to the underwater system and fluid dynamics and would love to share them.

Over on the Unity community ocean shader project they had 3-4 people each with their own github and then people would make their own changes and upload the project to their own github or mediafire or something and it was a mess. Centralization is key, especially for open source.
                            Last edited by Nsomnia; 02-28-2015, 01:29 PM.

Comment

With the engine being free... expect some people with skills (and some idiots) to start flooding this thread. I'll be making a persona githubl branch for it even if you dont lol. Currently working on modelling an important sub with really tricky lines though.

Comment

Yeah man I totally agree, if you can help me out to keep the project up to date and how to make changes to the GitHub version, I will do it asap. I know how to use Github to fork UE4's repo but I haven't set up my own version before.

Sorry for the late response, been trying to keep up with the huge flood of messages to be moderated... I have never seen anything like this, it's just nuts...

I created the repo so a while ago so I just need to upload the files to GitHub, might need to wait until tomorrow. Here is the link so far (its empty )

GitHub Link - https://github.com/UE4-OceanProject/OceanProject

I'm not all that great with github yet, but hopefully that will just be temporary

@LandsHeer -

That looks to me looks like the plane mesh was scaled too large, or that you are using the Mesh in your scene instead of the Blueprint. Double check you are using the BP, and if not, use the BP instead
                                Last edited by DotCam; 03-12-2015, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X