[Community Project] WIP Weather & Ocean Water Shader

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Freddiieehh View Post

Been googling/youtubing around for couple of hours now and doesn't understand anything nor feel like I'm getting anywhere lol.
    Ima just take a break for now and deal with it another time, and/or just make a thread about it cuz if I were to start edit and playing around with the post process material I would most likely just ruin something. Like you said I will most likely never find the complete solution, which just makes everything even more confusing, being able to tell what would help me and what wouldn't lol.
    But yeah, for now Ima just take a break from it before my blonde head explodes.
    Thank you anyways for the help so far (Y)
    This is what I could get from masking the postprocess to a sphere, which can easily adapted to a box mask, thou for complex shapes you will still need to go for a Distance Field solution, which unfortunetely takes more time.

The video contains a small level, wich the ocean and an island, the dome inside the ocean and I am showing a glass material for the dome and the changes needed into the Postprocessing material for the mask and some hints on how to expand the concept.

The video:

Anyone making useful stuff for this project, I invite you all to "share" once in a while, makes sense since this project takes a long time to accomplish and its been given for FREE.

Cheers!
    Last edited by NilsonLima; 02-20-2018, 07:17 AM.
    Nilson Lima
    Technical Director @ Rigel Studios Ltda - twitter: @RigelStudios
    Art is a state of Spirit

Join us at Discord: https://discord.gg/QJUb5Wk
    UE4 Marketplace:
    Cloudscape Seasons

Comment

Originally posted by NilsonLima View Post

This is what I could get from masking the postprocess to a sphere, which can easily adapted to a box mask, thou for complex shapes you will still need to go for a Distance Field solution, which unfortunetely takes more time.

The video contains a small level, wich the ocean and an island, the dome inside the ocean and I am showing a glass material for the dome and the changes needed into the Postprocessing material for the mask and some hints on how to expand the concept.

The video: https://youtu.be/FUxQAv5FIuM

Anyone making useful stuff for this project, I invite you all to "share" once in a while, makes sense since this project takes a long time to accomplish and its been given for FREE.

Cheers!
      +1, I'm pretty sure by the looks of the 300 forks, that many have made improvements, but never updated the fork or ran a pull request...

btw the weather simulator runs .2 second loops now! If I can get it to .1 or even .05 I would be content! (Hopefully I can share the bp exposed version of this tied in with the OceanProject on my github in about a week)

I've opened a slack channel for those interesting in building this project together:
      https://join.slack.com/t/oceanandwea...DMyZjIwMzZiNmE
      Last edited by EvoPulseGaming; 02-19-2018, 07:10 PM.
      Free Community Ocean & Sky Project || Join us on Discord! || Trello Roadmap
      Plugins:
      ComputeShader CPU->GPU->CPU || UniversalTimePlugin || UniversalSkyPlugin

Comment

This may sound dumb, but i am trying to sail the ships/breake the dock rope, and no keys are working, and also the fish do not swim when placed into the world so is there a type of nav mesh or something? sorry, havent found any tutorials on this, but i am absolutely LOVING this man!

Comment

Hey Connormcfarland,

The ships are there just for the beauty, the dock rope I guess never worked and there was a map previously showing the fish swiming and it depends on a class inside the Ocean C++ plugin called FishManager. There is no tutorial, but it is recommended for new users to look the thread posts for hints on how to do some things. You got also to take a look in the several maps, and at the BP_Ocean blueprint check all the Ocean shaders available which in the list are sorted by increased complexity (sometimes also beauty) which translates into cost.

The plugin is there for anyone to use and change as much as necessary to fit his needs.
          Nilson Lima
          Art is a state of Spirit

UE4 Marketplace:
          Cloudscape Seasons

Comment

Originally posted by Connormcfarland View Post
            This may sound dumb, but i am trying to sail the ships/breake the dock rope, and no keys are working, and also the fish do not swim when placed into the world so is there a type of nav mesh or something? sorry, havent found any tutorials on this, but i am absolutely LOVING this man!
            Add the FishManagerBP to your scene, open fish manager and in the default settings, at the top, you can select multiple classes of those fish, and how many of them. You have to use FishManagerBp to do this, as the fish wont do anything, or will crash the editor (Another user and I both experience crashes)

As for the boats, I know for a fact the Man-O-War is drivable, and the cannons work. You could easily copy the blueprint nodes from that and put them into the smaller boat.
            (Open the project setttings and check the inputs, or open the Man-O-War BP and check them there. I believe they are defined separately in each bp

Also to play with the physics rope, just grab with your left mouse button and "swing" and release. Have fun watching two boats ping pong like crazy

Also, the breakable rope, same thing, but if you "swing" hard enough, the boat will break free... but when you swing it that hard, it flys into space....
            Plugins:

Comment

Hey, this may be irrelevant, since I haven't seen anyone post this problem, but in case anyone is having it...
              Since I updated to 4.18, my dynamic time of day wasn't moving at the time scale I set. If you are having this problem, you need to open TimeManager.cpp, and on line 185, multiply the value there by TimeScaleMultiplier, so it looks like this: InternalTime += FTimespan::FromSeconds(deltaTime) * TimeScaleMultiplier;
              It was just missing that for some reason, but after that, it works.

Comment

Originally posted by Dihydrogenmonoxide43 View Post
                Hey, this may be irrelevant, since I haven't seen anyone post this problem, but in case anyone is having it...
                Since I updated to 4.18, my dynamic time of day wasn't moving at the time scale I set. If you are having this problem, you need to open TimeManager.cpp, and on line 185, multiply the value there by TimeScaleMultiplier, so it looks like this: InternalTime += FTimespan::FromSeconds(deltaTime) * TimeScaleMultiplier;
                It was just missing that for some reason, but after that, it works.
                This was already committed, into the 4.18 version on github in December, however there are other issues present as well, such as using daylight saving time rapidly running the clock on the sun, and also, if you set a known lat/long time/day to a known eclipse, the sun/moon wont overlap.

Weather Update: Real time visualization of weather simulator data!
                Click image for larger version  Name:	WeatherDebugging.jpg Views:	1 Size:	358.9 KB ID:	1433386
                Click image for larger version

Name:	WeatherDebugging2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	397.9 KB
ID:	1433388
                Last edited by EvoPulseGaming; 02-23-2018, 01:45 AM.
                Plugins:

Comment

So at this point, this weather simulator has gotten out of my scope.

With that said, its not dead, but on hold until I can get help from someone familiar with hlsl
                  Meet us here on slack:
                  https://join.slack.com/t/oceanandwea...DMyZjIwMzZiNmE
                  Last edited by EvoPulseGaming; 03-11-2018, 03:46 AM.
                  Plugins:

Comment

Hi

I have been looking at this project and it is great. As a result I thought I would have a go at producing my own simple water surface using gerstner waves.

I should say I am running a mac pro with el capitan and version 4.17.2.

I have managed to get a simple surface running but it only works when i plug the texture into world ofset position and not world displacement.

I did some searching and found Handkor's tutorials and checked them out to and he also used world displacement, as does this project.

I also found some explanations that said you needed to change the metal render, but after checking your project settings I noted they are set to use the same metal render as mine.

What is really weird is that when i run the ocean example for this project it works fine.

I am obviously missing something in a setting somewhere, could someone point me in the right direction. Do i need a special mesh or something to get this to work.
                    I am interested in it from a learning point of view rather than just using the project

thanks

Comment

Inside the material editor, the panel with details at bottom left, did you set tesselation there as the material from "Ocean Ultra" (M_OceanUltra)? It needs to be filled exactly the same.
                      Nilson Lima
                      Art is a state of Spirit

UE4 Marketplace:
                      Cloudscape Seasons

Comment

I am developing another Ocean plugin to use in my project and it will be sold at Marketplace aswell and it will not be based on Gestner Waves, but FFT with other features that this WIP Community Ocean does not have. Mainly doing this because Im involved with Cinematic productions and this requires a lot more features and fidelity to real world.

The feedback on the development will be updated into this thread: https://forums.unrealengine.com/unre...r-ocean-plugin

Despite of this development, I will still provide support and answering questions here for the WIP Community Ocean, as I think it is great and it is a solid foundation for anyone to extend it with functionalities and use inside any game.

Feel free to contact me anytime, but please remember that this thread has great value for all users and it is good to share.
                        Nilson Lima
                        Art is a state of Spirit

UE4 Marketplace:
                        Cloudscape Seasons

Comment

VaOcean has been updated to 4.15

Looking to update this to 4.18, then merge with Ocean Project, under a different github repo (Stripping most of the models and maps, clean up ect)

Edit, runs on 4.16 now
                          Last edited by EvoPulseGaming; 03-06-2018, 09:42 PM.
                          Plugins:

Comment

Originally posted by EvoPulseGaming View Post
                            VaOcean has been updated to 4.15

Looking to update this to 4.18, then merge with Ocean Project, under a different github repo (Stripping most of the models and maps, clean up ect)

Edit, runs on 4.16 now
                            I am working on this aswel, updating into latest Tessendorf notes about the method. Whole thing outside Unreal for now, than convert the shaders result trying to keep the structure from this project, except the shader exposing which is different per API changes in Unreal.

Let us know when the repo is ready for a check and please keep ufna credits/copyright notice on this, he is a pionner and deserves the credits.
                            Nilson Lima
                            Art is a state of Spirit

UE4 Marketplace:
                            Cloudscape Seasons

Comment

Updated VaOcean to 4.17!!!! On to 4.18!!!

If anyone knows how I can solve this issue:
                              GraphicsPSOInit.DepthStencilState = TStaticDepthStencilState</*false, CF_Always*/>::GetRHI();
                              If I remove the /* */ part, it will throw an error, while it still works, I would feel better if whatever that is trying to set is used.

Also, VS throws an error, only twice, once upon setting up the blueprint, and once when clicking on the viewport, after that it runs fine. I believe this is the race condition described in the Va thread. Once updated to 4.18, I will focus on that.

Time for bed...

Oh, pics or it didn't happen :
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	VaOcean4.17.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	308.5 KB
ID:	1439895
                              Plugins:

Comment

I am working with 4.17 (was thinking on having 4.17, 4.18 and 4.19 versions ready) and Im almost getting there. The code state was not that bad as I was thinking. Once I get there I will check again the comments Epic's employee made about it and from what I recall was easy steps.
                                Nilson Lima
                                Art is a state of Spirit

UE4 Marketplace:
                                Cloudscape Seasons

Comment

Working...
                                X