X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by Sir_Manfred View Post

I have played with those settings before and they never really made any difference. But then I don't really have any reference to what Start Height/Max Height refers to. Is it height of the ocean? Height of the terrain? If so is it the height of the terrain below the waterline? Is it the heightmap? And if it's refering to the heightmap, shouldn't the values be between 0.0 and 1.0 in that case?

I would never use a JPEG though Oh man that would be awful.
    What I did try once was to use an 8-bit version of my heightmap at a lower resolution. But that just crashed UE4 everytime I tried to run the game. That made me think that the settings are only applied once you run the game, but when I checked (with the proper heightmap), there was still no difference with an updated heightmap. It was as if the old one was still being used.

So I'm still confused
    I will check the code and tell you how the Start Height and Max Height works.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by NilsonLima View Post

Did you play with the modulation settings?

- Enable modulation checkbox
    - Modulation Start Height
    - Modulation Max Height
    - Modulation Power (it is a Power node exponent)
    - Landscape (landscape asset created)
    - Heightmap Texture (your landscape heightmap)

Start Height, Max Height and Power should do the adjustment trick. Also the texture size should be the same as the landscape preferably in PNG since it is a lossless format. Don't use JPEG.
    I have played with those settings before and they never really made any difference. But then I don't really have any reference to what Start Height/Max Height refers to. Is it height of the ocean? Height of the terrain? If so is it the height of the terrain below the waterline? Is it the heightmap? And if it's refering to the heightmap, shouldn't the values be between 0.0 and 1.0 in that case?

I would never use a JPEG though Oh man that would be awful.
    What I did try once was to use an 8-bit version of my heightmap at a lower resolution. But that just crashed UE4 everytime I tried to run the game. That made me think that the settings are only applied once you run the game, but when I checked (with the proper heightmap), there was still no difference with an updated heightmap. It was as if the old one was still being used.

So I'm still confused

Leave a comment:

• replied

I ended up getting it to work by copying the ocean from one of the example maps and replacing the heightmap with my own. And it seemed to work
    However, I have been doing some editing on the landscape heightmap since then, so now I replaced the old one with the new one, but the update don't show in the wave modulation. It's basically the same problem I had before. I could try to copy the ocean again from the example map and hope that workaround works one more time, but that is kind of a hassle and I'd have to redo all my custom settings again.
    Something seems off.
    Did you play with the modulation settings?

- Enable modulation checkbox
    - Modulation Start Height
    - Modulation Max Height
    - Modulation Power (it is a Power node exponent)
    - Landscape (landscape asset created)
    - Heightmap Texture (your landscape heightmap)

Start Height, Max Height and Power should do the adjustment trick. Also the texture size should be the same as the landscape preferably in PNG since it is a lossless format. Don't use JPEG.

Leave a comment:

• replied

I have checked the code and everything for the landscape modulation is there and the code is sound, but for it to work you need to feed the heightmap texture inside the Ocean Manager section in the BP_Ocean blueprint... beware that there are two heightmaps asked for the blueprint, the 1st one are for the waves, the second which is inside the Ocean Manager section is the correct one.
    I ended up getting it to work by copying the ocean from one of the example maps and replacing the heightmap with my own. And it seemed to work
    However, I have been doing some editing on the landscape heightmap since then, so now I replaced the old one with the new one, but the update don't show in the wave modulation. It's basically the same problem I had before. I could try to copy the ocean again from the example map and hope that workaround works one more time, but that is kind of a hassle and I'd have to redo all my custom settings again.
    Something seems off.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by ShaNexxx View Post
    Hi everyone;

The ocean did not come
    I get too many errors Is there a video about adding to the project?
    In the post 2368 above there is a complete set of steps on how to add it to a project. First thing thou is download it from GitHub and be able to successfully run it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi everyone;

The ocean did not come
    I get too many errors Is there a video about adding to the project?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Ethandale View Post

I tried moving the character that is default in the scene, and unfortunately, that did not fix the problem. I'm hoping there's a way to change that in the blueprint or something! Thanks for your response!
    OK, but Did you create a separate camera inside Sequencer to take the shots or used the character one?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by BigaC View Post

thanks, but unfortunately after migrating Fish, I see all files from Fish folder are in my project, but it still doesnt find superstructure FlockFish and crashes. (only in packaged version)
    Is the OceanPlugin copied and enabled? Something is missing from the instructions.

From a post I have sent to another forum user one or two pages behind, these are the instructions:

"
    These are the steps you need to take for the Ocean setup in a new project, follow them consistently:

- create a C++ Project (can be any type: 3rd person, 1st person, none of them)
    - exit the visual studio
    - exit UE4 editor and open the OceanProject in editor
    - locate the ocean folder, right-click on it and select Migrate... with the windows opened select the project you created before and point to its Content folder
    - exit UE4 editor
    - inside the OceanProject folder copy the folder called Plugins and paste it inside the project folder you created before
    - enter the project folder you created before, right click on the file with extension .uproject, select Generate Visual Studio Project files
    - wait the conclusion
    - open your project
    - the last step now, is that you need to enable the Ocean Plugin, restart the editor as asked and you are ready to go
    "
    Last edited by NilsonLima; 04-24-2018, 06:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied

Does the packaging work with the original project? Just to make sure our contents are the same.

PS: I checked there, all works. Maybe when you migrated, it only migrates the stuff you was using, anything else not copied and if you try to use, like the fish and fishmanager, they uses componentes created inside the C++ plugin. then you will also need to migrate the Fish folder.
    thanks, but unfortunately after migrating Fish, I see all files from Fish folder are in my project, but it still doesnt find superstructure FlockFish and crashes. (only in packaged version)

Leave a comment:

• replied

The foams are just placed on the wave crests using a simple height calculation. The Ocean material is set into a plane surface which moves with the camera in order to make you think the Ocean is infinite, when in reality it is not, and this plane has its triangles with more density near camera and less triangles far away. I think the result we are seeing here happens because the camera used with Sequencer is not the one repositioning the plane, meaning you will have less triangles depending on the spot you are in, meaning you will lose height for the waves since there are less triangles to make the displacement look better.

I will check the code and try to tell you if this is precisely whats going on and how to workaround this. My first thought without taking a look at it, is for you to save the character attached camera position and drive its position with Sequencer for later you recover the original position.
    I tried moving the character that is default in the scene, and unfortunately, that did not fix the problem. I'm hoping there's a way to change that in the blueprint or something! Thanks for your response!

Leave a comment:

• replied

Yes, of course! I love this project and it's community, and I'd like to use it/help you improve it in any way.

Here is the link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErB-...ature=youtu.be
    The foams are just placed on the wave crests using a simple height calculation. The Ocean material is set into a plane surface which moves with the camera in order to make you think the Ocean is infinite, when in reality it is not, and this plane has its triangles with more density near camera and less triangles far away. I think the result we are seeing here happens because the camera used with Sequencer is not the one repositioning the plane, meaning you will have less triangles depending on the spot you are in, meaning you will lose height for the waves since there are less triangles to make the displacement look better.

I will check the code and try to tell you if this is precisely whats going on and how to workaround this. My first thought without taking a look at it, is for you to save the character attached camera position and drive its position with Sequencer for later you recover the original position.
    ​​​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• replied

Do you mind of posting a short video showing the result for us?
    Yes, of course! I love this project and it's community, and I'd like to use it/help you improve it in any way.

Here is the link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErB-...​​​​

Leave a comment:

• replied
    When I tried rendering out a series of JPEG images with the sequencer, the waves became very choppy and do not look good at all...is there a current workaround for this?

EDIT: It's the LOD on the foam I think. Let's say computing power wasn't a problem. How can I max out the LOD of the ocean?
    Do you mind of posting a short video showing the result for us?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    When I tried rendering out a series of JPEG images with the sequencer, the waves became very choppy and do not look good at all...is there a current workaround for this?

EDIT: It's the LOD on the foam I think. Let's say computing power wasn't a problem. How can I max out the LOD of the ocean?
    Last edited by Ethandale; 04-21-2018, 11:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    First of all: Awesome project!

Secondly: Is the Landscape Modulation broken with UE 4.19? I can't seem to get it to work. Tweaking the settings back and forth and see no difference in behavior on shallow waters or near the shore.

Thirdly: Is there any documentation available?
    I have checked the code and everything for the landscape modulation is there and the code is sound, but for it to work you need to feed the heightmap texture inside the Ocean Manager section in the BP_Ocean blueprint... beware that there are two heightmaps asked for the blueprint, the 1st one are for the waves, the second which is inside the Ocean Manager section is the correct one.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X