No announcement yet.

[Community Project] WIP Weather & Ocean Water Shader

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Vexar what error's are you getting? And Thanx for verifying it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vexar View Post
      why I think Epic should write a water system or buy this one and add it to the engine. This one has a lot of features but it is not finished or something I could use in a shipping product.
      Luckily, it's released under the MIT license. There's no need to buy.

Comment

• Has OWS features to create similar styled waves/beach water?

How to get GDC 2017 Unreal Real styled Ocean Beach/Waves? See https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...568#post679568

Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | IndieDB

Comment

• This was done in unreal engine 4
          Last edited by jonathan light; 03-13-2017, 08:37 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jonathan light View Post

This was done in unreal engine 4
            That looks amazing!

Comment

• Look's great where can we get this lol

Comment

• Wait, how did you do that for 4.15??

Comment

• Originally posted by Nsomnia View Post
                  Shaders to your engine shader directory maybe. Ensure you have an underwater post process volume set to bendable asset m underwater inst 2 and bp underwater exists in your scene and copy the logic to check if player camera is below water height from the project any level bp.
                  I'm looking for this logic right now. It appears that the map doesn't have a blueprint, but it does have a header file. I was able to get the underwater postprocess working, but it is always on.

Comment

• So the blue post process is working, but it is always on (even above water) when I set the material reference for my post process to M_Underwater_PP_Inst2. All the variables are being set properly except for the "underwater detection method" in the level blueprint (I checked with printstring nodes). The water distortion effects are not working (But the camera wet effect is).

Any ideas what my problem is?
                    Last edited by twalk1776; 03-18-2017, 09:27 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jonathan light View Post

This was done in unreal engine 4
                      Alright look, can someone at Epic send me Ryan's mug or pat him on the head and take a hair or something? I require it for cloning purposes.
                      George Rolfe.
                      Technical Coordinator at Orbit Solutions Pty Ltd.

Comment

• Could this not use a system similar to Assassin's Creed Black Flag where the ocean mesh is deformed by the ship hull? It would just be an extra lookup in the ocean shader, and probably could be done by just creating an orthographic camera and marking certain meshes as hulls and this ortho cam would snap to the closest grid cells, and wouldn't need to be super high res. Then you can just replace the wave vertex offsets with the depthmap you create from the hulls when there's actually a depth value somewhere.

I may consider doing some research into this myself, because for big ships it's going to be way more cost efficient and less prone to mishaps. Could simply make a "hull deform" mesh which is just the bottom part of the ship until it doesn't get any wider, and using some basic maths you can offset the ocean waves below the hull. Would be optimised enough I think, seen as it would only be needed on the closer ocean, and it would play well I think. Could also just make the renderpass use stencil stuff, actually, something I want to look into also because most games do it using a simple stencil test, and it works for the most part quite well if you threshold the clipmask with the depth buffer and some clamping.

Comment

• Originally posted by Legend286 View Post
                          Could this not use a system similar to Assassin's Creed Black Flag where the ocean mesh is deformed by the ship hull? It would just be an extra lookup in the ocean shader, and probably could be done by just creating an orthographic camera and marking certain meshes as hulls and this ortho cam would snap to the closest grid cells, and wouldn't need to be super high res. Then you can just replace the wave vertex offsets with the depthmap you create from the hulls when there's actually a depth value somewhere.

I may consider doing some research into this myself, because for big ships it's going to be way more cost efficient and less prone to mishaps. Could simply make a "hull deform" mesh which is just the bottom part of the ship until it doesn't get any wider, and using some basic maths you can offset the ocean waves below the hull. Would be optimised enough I think, seen as it would only be needed on the closer ocean, and it would play well I think. Could also just make the renderpass use stencil stuff, actually, something I want to look into also because most games do it using a simple stencil test, and it works for the most part quite well if you threshold the clipmask with the depth buffer and some clamping.
                          Couldn't this be achieved by using distance fields?

Comment

• Originally posted by Legend286 View Post
                            Could this not use a system similar to Assassin's Creed Black Flag where the ocean mesh is deformed by the ship hull? It would just be an extra lookup in the ocean shader, and probably could be done by just creating an orthographic camera and marking certain meshes as hulls and this ortho cam would snap to the closest grid cells, and wouldn't need to be super high res. Then you can just replace the wave vertex offsets with the depthmap you create from the hulls when there's actually a depth value somewhere.

I've been looking into the stencil route, and unfortunately it seems like the underwater post-processing monopolizes the stencil channels. Any "CustomDepth Stencil Value" over 0 (the channel that's being used for the non-ocean side) will cause the underwater PP to be displayed on your mesh. You'd have to come up with a different technique for the underwater PP, and the one being used in the project seems to be the least expensive way of doing it.

As a side-effect of this I've found if you turn on custom depth in a mesh's rendering options, set the stencil value to 0, and turn off "render in main pass", you turn the mesh into a sort of "lens" that doesn't render the ocean or underwater PP if you're looking through it. This works really well for small boats, where the camera is typically above the hull. What I'd really like to do is figure out how to invert the effect, I'm not sure if it's possible, but then I'm very new to shaders and rendering.

If you do come up with a method to deform the ocean mesh I'm sure a lot of us would be very interested, so please post back here if you get it working.

Comment

• Is there any news on the marketplace release of this? I'm on the 3rd project now in that last 2 months that really needs/needed a decent ocean shader. I would gladly pay $100+ for a production friendly solution, because the problems with the community version require considerably higher tech art skills than what I have.
                              Last edited by Fisher007; 03-26-2017, 11:14 AM.
                              Portfolio

Comment

• you could use the unreal example ocean in tutorials.

Comment

Working...
                                X