X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TK-Master View Post
    Hey people, and happy new year

I know there has been a lack of updates but I can assure you that progress is being done behind the scenes (slowly but surely).
    Thanks to everyone who is sharing their updated branch for 4.14 and helping with thread questions by the way.

I'm trying to find more time to work on the project but it keeps getting more difficult.. which is why I'm thinking it might be a good idea to release my upcoming FFT ocean as a new plugin in the marketplace.

You can think of the new marketplace plugin as an early access to "kickstart" the project, that way I will be able to put much more time to it, update it more rapidly and add more features.
    Then later down the line I will open source it to the community. What do you guys think?

Here is a list with the core features I'm aiming at for the first released version of the plugin:

-Ocean based on Tessendorf's FFT paper.

-Multiple ocean spectra to choose from with many tweakable parameters (amplitude, choppy, wind velocity, direction, fetch etc.).
    Phillips and Unified Directional spectrum currently implemented.

-Foam generation based on the ocean spectrum.
    Tweakable parameters: foam amount, coverage, decay rate, dissipation.

-Infinite ocean system using Quadtrees (video).
    Dynamically subdivides the ocean patches for efficient usage of vertices.
    Expands to the horizon (or up to given distance).
    Frustum culling (removes patches outside the camera view).

-Custom BRDF shading based on Eric Bruneton's paper.
    BRDF model suited for ocean rendering.
    Added custom SSS (subsurface scattering).
    Planar reflections (custom component) which can be tweaked in the shader.

-Interactive water heightfield.
    Allows for dynamic interaction with the ocean surface (as in watch dogs).
    Can be layered on top of the FFT waves (square around the camera will be simulated) or used as stand alone for lakes and puddles.
    Boats leave natural looking wakes.
    Multiple propagation algorithms to choose (MuellerGDC, Tessendorf iWave and more).

-Underwater post process effects.
    Waterline (camera-ocean intersection).
    Light absorption / fog (new method).
    Volumetric Godrays.

Many more features planned for later updates.

I don't have an ETA yet but hopefully early this year.

And as always, a screenshot

(Click for larger image)
    This is how the custom BRDF currently looks like (shader still far from final, wip).
    Any release date?

Comment

Originally posted by jonathan light View Post
      Any release date?
      TK-Master said right at the end of that whole block you decided to quote (thanks for that, love when people do this):

Originally posted by TK-Master View Post
      I don't have an ETA yet but hopefully early this year.

Comment

How much will this sell for on the marketplace? I'm looking for a good ocean shader.
        Contact me: (Steam: Neillithan) (E-mail: neilvmoore@gmail.com)

Comment

+1 for the marketplace

Comment

Hey [MENTION=1127]TK-Master[/MENTION] I would buy this off the marketplace

I have a few questions though -

1. Will there be some form of customize able waves on shorelines? (Shoreline Wave Strength, Shoreline Wave Intensity, Shoreline Wave Frequency, etc.)
            2. Will there be some form of buoyancy model that I can use for my ships?
            3. Will there be some form of path finding solution for both surface ships and submarines?

Just curious,

HeadClot
            Last edited by HeadClot; 01-26-2017, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Hi,
              +1 for marketplace.
              I downloaded it and got it to work, and was really amazed about its quality! So I am a noob and feeling like a minion driving a KITT2000 at this moment. Still a lot to learn...

However, one thing I found pretty much straight away is the light refraction effect (or "sub surface scatter" it is called here I believe) when under water. Looking from above, all looks fine; part of object above water remains unscattered, and the part below surface gets scattered. But when being under water this changes; both parts above and under water get scattered. Scattering however only happens when light passes a medium boundary (water level). So when under water, only the part of object that is above water is scattered. After days struggling finding the right location and method on how to change this, I got lost.
              Could someone help me a bit pointing me in the right direction?

Very much appreciated.

Comment

Going to be getting back into interacting with these water physics and making ai boats again. Looking forward to testing what you got for torpedoes.

Comment

Hi all, inspired by this thread I've been working on my own water shader along with a blueprint powered rolling wave system in UE4 made entirely with a material function that generates the needed vector displacement for wave-like geometry from a flat plane:

It's my first time doing anything water related and the mechanics are still a bit off/there's some clipping issues from time to time.

There's more info here

Also a short demo:

I would love to see animated waves rolling on the beach in the community project one day too so if I can help out in any way just let me know!

Wouter Weynants

Comment

Cool, can we download that or will you integrate this?
                    Thanks
                    [MENTION=556564]tmatz81[/MENTION] etc. this is opensource, there's no need for a marketplace version.
                    Last edited by mike444; 01-30-2017, 02:51 AM.

Comment

Looks really good, I think I will give it a try in my next project
                      Current project: Ben The Exorcist

Comment

Originally posted by Omegahhh View Post
                        Hi all, inspired by this thread I've been working on my own water shader along with a blueprint powered rolling wave system in UE4 made entirely with a material function that generates the needed vector displacement for wave-like geometry from a flat plane:

It's my first time doing anything water related and the mechanics are still a bit off/there's some clipping issues from time to time.

There's more info here

Also a short demo:

I would love to see animated waves rolling on the beach in the community project one day too so if I can help out in any way just let me know!

Wouter Weynants

This is awesome, I'd love to hear more about how you implemented this.
                        [FREE] Procedural Bridge Blueprint, [FREE] Spline Enabled Ivy BP

Comment

Hey guys, been playing around with this awesome asset! But trying to add it to an existing project is a giant pain. It basicly screws all of my characters movements and also lets me spawn just seeing my terraintexture from a very close up look. I just added Ocean Sky underwater and the stuff that is necessary but it just keep breaking it. Even after I remove it my game is kinda broken. Any Ideas? Can post some pics tomorrow if you need em.

Greetings

Comment

I'm making a game I'm going to sell. Would it be legal to use it?

Comment

Originally posted by Emrehan View Post
                              I'm making a game I'm going to sell. Would it be legal to use it?
                              The license on the github repo. It's MIT, so the answer is 'yes'.

Comment

Hi there!

Im interesting in this; in fact i just downloaded and openened the proyect.

BUT i have no clue on how to use this for my own proyect... Im nterested in the water (already have my own sky).

Is there any tutorial video.. or something please?

Thank you a lot for sharing this, it looks amazing....!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X