Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a way to easily cut down on the FPS loss from using this?
    I have a very large map that loses about 40FPS (1080GTX) just adding in a default water.
    I have tested with/without Gersh waves, with/without SS, etc etc, and, it seems its about the same loss all around.
    Could this be because its such a massive plane by default?
    Last edited by AP_Studios; 11-24-2016, 10:32 AM.
    Founder and CEO of Angry Penguin Studio, LLC
    Dallas, TX USA
    https://www.facebook.com/AngryPenguinStudios

Comment

Maybe try Vulkan?

Comment

Does Ocean shader "Ocean Lite" work right? Coz when I changed the Ocean shader to "Ocean Lite" only appear a grey plane.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoc View Post
          Submitted a pull request for a version fully functional with UE4.14

https://github.com/UE4-OceanProject/...roject/pull/26
          I am downloading it now and I will test it on backup of my project from 4.12 using the plugin. Thanks for updating it! I will update this post after testing.

One note it would be nice to reduced version of the download with just what is needed for the water, with out of the time of day and content included. I did this manually for 4.12 on my own project to reduce the size but the github imho cleaned up. 942 MB DL includes a lot of content that is not required for the water to work.

Fired up the OceanPlugin in 4.14 only warnings using the latest from Zoc is a constraint warning, and a few dynamic shadow errors hurting the frame rate.

I am going to update my 1080's drivers to the latest before installing it on my own projects but it feels safe enough to move forward. Good job Zoc!

Forgot to update: I converted my 4.12.5 project to 4.14 to test the plugin, working as expected.
          Last edited by Vexar; 11-26-2016, 01:41 AM.
          Victor "Vexar" Mercieca
          Twitch Channel
          Artstation
          Youtube Channel

Comment

Complete noob here, I wanted to use this to make an aquarium or fish tank but since the water stretches infinite, even when deleting the infinite ocean parameter in the blue print it still follow the camera as I move around even when it technically resized. (Basically, it goes whenever the camera goes, so I cannot move around it in a 3D space, as if it glued to the camera at certain position). What do I need to do to make it act like an piece of independent resize able mesh like any normal object? Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Neftie View Post
              Complete noob here, I wanted to use this to make an aquarium or fish tank but since the water stretches infinite, even when deleting the infinite ocean parameter in the blue print it still follow the camera as I move around even when it technically resized. (Basically, it goes whenever the camera goes, so I cannot move around it in a 3D space, as if it glued to the camera at certain position). What do I need to do to make it act like an piece of independent resize able mesh like any normal object? Thank you.
              You need to resize the ocean mesh itself. It's remarkably large.

That said, a gerstner wave system is massive overkill for an aquarium or fish tank. Even using it for a lake is a bit much, unless you're actively looking to have physics on floating objects.

Comment

Originally posted by ConceptualTrap View Post
                You need to resize the ocean mesh itself. It's remarkably large.

That said, a gerstner wave system is massive overkill for an aquarium or fish tank. Even using it for a lake is a bit much, unless you're actively looking to have physics on floating objects.
                oh seem like I resized the wrong thing. Thank you
                Yeah I aware it is a massive overkill, though I can't find a good solution for an aquarium like showing in this demonstration:

it might have to be done from scratch from ground up instead of using any existing water shader..
                Thanks for the reply

Comment

Originally posted by Neftie View Post
                  oh seem like I resized the wrong thing. Thank you
                  Yeah I aware it is a massive overkill, though I can't find a good solution for an aquarium like showing in this demonstration:

it might have to be done from scratch from ground up instead of using any existing water shader..
                  Thanks for the reply
                  If you're just doing underwater, just use one of the water planes that Epic provides for the surface and play with post-processing volumes and particles to get your underwater look. There's tons of videos on creating underwater effects for UE4 on youtube.

Believe me, the community ocean project is a HUGE overkill if you're just creating an underwater environment. Even this project uses a fairly simple post processing volume to get its underwater look. Basically 95% of this plugin won't apply to what you're attempting.

Comment

Originally posted by ConceptualTrap View Post
                    If you're just doing underwater, just use one of the water planes that Epic provides for the surface and play with post-processing volumes and particles to get your underwater look. There's tons of videos on creating underwater effects for UE4 on youtube.

Believe me, the community ocean project is a HUGE overkill if you're just creating an underwater environment. Even this project uses a fairly simple post processing volume to get its underwater look. Basically 95% of this plugin won't apply to what you're attempting.
                    Alright, yeah I don't think this gonna work, I'd focus on the underwater effect after all, thank you for pointing the way. cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Mike4 View Post
                      Maybe try Vulkan?
                      If this was to me, why would i use a mobile graphics function that removes a ton of the features i would need? I fail to see the logic behind the answer of "use the mobile graphics API".
                      Dallas, TX USA

Comment

Someone could already compile without errors ?

Comment

anyone know how to migrate the ocean to another project? because when i migrate the ocean BP to another project it fails to load. am i missing something???

Comment

Originally posted by xGhostEYE View Post
                            anyone know how to migrate the ocean to another project? because when i migrate the ocean BP to another project it fails to load. am i missing something???
                            copy the plugin to your project directory, and, all you really need is to copy the ocean folder into your content folder.
                            Dallas, TX USA

Comment

Originally posted by Vexar View Post
                              I am downloading it now and I will test it on backup of my project from 4.12 using the plugin. Thanks for updating it! I will update this post after testing.

One note it would be nice to reduced version of the download with just what is needed for the water, with out of the time of day and content included. I did this manually for 4.12 on my own project to reduce the size but the github imho cleaned up. 942 MB DL includes a lot of content that is not required for the water to work.

Fired up the OceanPlugin in 4.14 only warnings using the latest from Zoc is a constraint warning, and a few dynamic shadow errors hurting the frame rate.

I am going to update my 1080's drivers to the latest before installing it on my own projects but it feels safe enough to move forward. Good job Zoc!

Forgot to update: I converted my 4.12.5 project to 4.14 to test the plugin, working as expected.
                              I'm glad everything is working on your side too!
                              Hopefully this gets merged ASAP

Comment

Originally posted by Zoc View Post
                                I'm glad everything is working on your side too!
                                Hopefully this gets merged ASAP
                                The only trouble I have had in 4.14 related to the Ocean plugin is that Epic changed something in the camera code that clips the reflection of the Ocean making it look black in PIE when you tilt the camera up or down but this goes away as soon as you run the same exact thing in Full Screen mode. I have to investigate which switch or adjustment is needed to make this go away. At first I thought it was something wrong with the plug in but it has something to do with a Camera code change. For now I just switch to Full screen. This did not happen in 4.12.5 with exact same scene.
                                Victor "Vexar" Mercieca
                                Twitch Channel
                                Artstation
                                Youtube Channel

Comment

Working...
                                X