Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[MENTION=1127]TK-Master[/MENTION] , that's good to hear, and enjoy your vacation. If you intend on doing future projects, maybe a development road-map would be a neat option? Because we can follow your progress, and a lot of us are very eager to get our hands on the interactive surface.

Comment

I have it working in 4.12.5 for both people looking for it and it compiles and deploys, cooks etc. After going through 40 pages of on this thread and searching I found that they say to place the plug in the project directory not the engine directory, I tried both but ended up having be in the project directory was the only way to get it compile and cook even though it did work in engine directory up to that point just fine. My process for getting this to work was to start one step at time, like all black box code from outside sources.

First test is to make it works at all.

Find and open up the example project from the ocean directory with out anything being touched. If this works you know that your hardware is fine and you have all the content you need, if this isn't working then adding it a project isn't going to help you something is missing most likely hardware related.

Step two, test it on an example project from Epic, follow the directions they provide copy what you need, and make sure you can do that. This way if you are not breaking your working project and you can keep it clean.

What I did at this point was try an learn how it worked from a content level, how to place a new object or the boat with out using the examples, looked at all the shaders, studied the time of day, and then decided I didnt want it. learned how to remove it with out breaking anything else which was easy just wanted to make sure they were not tied together in some complex way that force me to use the ToD feature.

Once you pass this step, remove it from the engine side, copy just what you need over to your project you will find that it does contain out of date content that seems to have no purpose as they are little sloppy to clean it up. Just avoid using options where the shader is blank like anything with the label "old" etc. You will also find it has things related to the boat mp game, and UI, for me I just wanted the ocean so spending the time figure out how to avoid taking it all was worth it for me.

One thing to note is if you turn on the shader profiler once you get it running, it is very expensive on the rendering side, it will be the most expensive item in your scene even if you lower it down the lowest (fewest features) settings.

For a free plug in though its very pretty.
      Last edited by Vexar; 08-09-2016, 05:43 PM.
      Victor "Vexar" Mercieca
      Twitch Channel
      Artstation
      Youtube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by Vexar View Post
        I have it working in 4.12.5 for both people looking for it and it compiles and deploys, cooks etc. After going through 40 pages of on this thread and searching I found that they say to place the plug in the project directory not the engine directory, I tried both but ended up having be in the project directory was the only way to get it compile and cook even though it did work in engine directory up to that point just fine. My process for getting this to work was to start one step at time, like all black box code from outside sources.

First test is to make it works at all.

Find and open up the example project from the ocean directory with out anything being touched. If this works you know that your hardware is fine and you have all the content you need, if this isn't working then adding it a project isn't going to help you something is missing most likely hardware related.

Step two, test it on an example project from Epic, follow the directions they provide copy what you need, and make sure you can do that. This way if you are not breaking your working project and you can keep it clean.

What I did at this point was try an learn how it worked from a content level, how to place a new object or the boat with out using the examples, looked at all the shaders, studied the time of day, and then decided I didnt want it. learned how to remove it with out breaking anything else which was easy just wanted to make sure they were not tied together in some complex way that force me to use the ToD feature.

Once you pass this step, remove it from the engine side, copy just what you need over to your project you will find that it does contain out of date content that seems to have no purpose as they are little sloppy to clean it up. Just avoid using options where the shader is blank like anything with the label "old" etc. You will also find it has things related to the boat mp game, and UI, for me I just wanted the ocean so spending the time figure out how to avoid taking it all was worth it for me.

One thing to note is if you turn on the shader profiler once you get it running, it is very expensive on the rendering side, it will be the most expensive item in your scene even if you lower it down the lowest (fewest features) settings.

For a free plug in though its very pretty.
        Sorry I'm dumb, do you mean if i'm compiling the engine myself?

Comment

Originally posted by RedSaturnSix View Post
          I seem to be having problems migrating the contents of the project to my own project as on .12.5.

Even the included maps fail to have the ocean plane present.

Any ideas?
          You are copy-patsing rather than right click -> migrate or you are migrating to a folder other than /content/ root.
          Tek LLC a personal Candaian Company running BlenderTek & UnrealTek is currently looking for help to bring back submarine simulator gaming with a new genre of sub sims: Cold War! (1945-1991) Operation: Trident SubSim Dev Diary Thread - Donations

Comment

Originally posted by RedSaturnSix View Post
            Sorry I'm dumb, do you mean if i'm compiling the engine myself?
            Either or both. I got it working with 4.12.5 just with what you get from downloading, once I wanted to compile the engine and cook the content to give it to others then I spent time getting that part working which was a combination of troubles some on my end some with the plugin, after I fixed VS2015 I was still having troubles with the plugin but it was because I was trying to compile it through the launcher not VS2015. If you scroll up you can see a post from me where I am going through the process of getting this to work including some of the error messages.

If you post your error or troubles I am sure we can help you get it working.

To START: All you should have to do is download it from github, unzip it, and open up the example projects they give you, you should see water, boats, 3rd person character, ToD, and floating things in the default level it opens when you click Play in Editor or PIE. Did you get that far?

My Hardware was a 580GTX with i7 3770 nothing special I upgraded the video card to a 1080GTX after I made that WIP video. So it worked on a 6 year old card.

Do you have nvidia / intel ? are you on mac?

Attached Files
            Last edited by Vexar; 08-11-2016, 01:01 AM.
            Victor "Vexar" Mercieca
            Twitch Channel
            Artstation
            Youtube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by TK-Master View Post
              Progress is been made on the GPU implementation.
              I'm currently out of town for vacation.. I can still work on my laptop but progress will most likely be slow for the next few weeks

In the meantime, here's an (early wip) screen of a new water shader I'm working on, using a custom lighting model.

Wow! It is looking AMAZING

Comment

Found out it was a struct named the same in mac sdk as in a class. edit.
                Last edited by Nsomnia; 08-11-2016, 03:15 PM.
                Tek LLC a personal Candaian Company running BlenderTek & UnrealTek is currently looking for help to bring back submarine simulator gaming with a new genre of sub sims: Cold War! (1945-1991) Operation: Trident SubSim Dev Diary Thread - Donations

Comment

Originally posted by Nsomnia View Post
                  My co founder is trying to get our project going on his mac, stock ue4 install, xcode installed, nothing set (new to UE4, but very experiance with cpp) and he gets these warnings on just ocean files when compiling any ideas?

http://pastebin.com/c8aDimye - Compile log with warnings, but no errors. Then the project fails to compile.

No problems on PC for either of us so repo/source/etc is fine AFAICT.

There seems to not even be a log file generated, thats as much of the warnings/fail compile as can get before the UnrealBuiltTool closes.

I should note it works for other win users fine as well.

Edit: finally got a full log inside of xcode, really weird errors i cant pin it down to anywhere to start.
                  http://pastebin.com/uM7HMT0i
                  When I was digging through the 40 pages looking around for answers, I saw a few times that it isn't supported on Mac or any openGL device. One of my dev buddies is on a mac and he couldn't run it either.

ADD+ I had an idea that it might work with the changes in 4.13.1 preview soon since they added a lot of mac specific features, maybe he could see what needs to change and get ahead of the curve.
                  Last edited by Vexar; 08-11-2016, 02:54 PM.
                  Victor "Vexar" Mercieca
                  Twitch Channel
                  Artstation
                  Youtube Channel

Comment

I'm currently out of town for vacation.. I can still work on my laptop but progress will most likely be slow for the next few weeks

In the meantime, here's an (early wip) screen of a new water shader I'm working on, using a custom lighting model.

YES! Cant wait for the update when this beauty gets in! By the way for custom lighting model, does that mean that shader itself is using/having it, or does scene has to contribute to some special non-default dirrectional light?

Comment

I may...MAY have migrated CONTENT into content...I need to check. Baaaw.

Comment

That looks great man!

Comment

It is so cool, want it bad!)

Comment

Cool. I believe those highlighted green areas is the SSS? Because it is much better this way, where appear more.
                            My Portfolio/Resume: www.chaosforcestudio.wix.com/portolio
                            One of my projects: www.chaosforcestudio.wix.com/sonicevolution

Comment

Attached Files
                              GTX 980 Ti ยท Intel i7 3770k @ 4.6ghz

Comment

Hey, I'm using your ocean in my project and it looks amazing! Thank you for all your work and for making this free

Comment

Working...
                                X