Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[GAME] Boiled

Hello everyone!

This is a project I've had brewing in my noggin for a little while now and decided to finally make it into a game. This is still very early screenshots, but I feel like they're at a place that I'm comfortable enough sharing it with the community.

The Story

You will be playing the role of an ice cube. I won't go into details as to not spoil the story I have in mind, but certain situations push you into a world to look for your lost family and tribe members, and you're introduced to all kinds of situations and enemies while on your journey. You play as an ice cube, but everyone else (minus your family/tribe) will be vegetables and fruits. In towns, you will have good clean healthy fruit and vegetables, but in the wilderness (especially at night), you will get the rotten dirty fruit and vegetables roaming the country side. These will be the main bulk of the enemies throughout the game, but there will be larger boss type figures to fight.

It will be an open world adventure game, so the more you explore, the more you discover.

I don't want to give away much more than that so I'll stop there.

I hope you enjoy the screenshots I have. I'll try to get some video of it captured when possible and upload that as well.

Thanks for reading, and I hope you all have a great day!

Hello everyone!

So I have a video that I put together showing the different environments and aspects of the project so far. This is very early stages, so there are no enemies yet. I wanted to focus on the feeling on being in the world and interacting with it, so the grass and terrain reacts to the player. There is also a 'time of day' implemented which I show at the end of the video (A quick timelapse)

Hope you all enjoy!

Last edited by C Albeluhn; 05-22-2019, 01:57 PM.

Comment

I'm liking this, especially the art style! Very colorful and reminds me a bit of Banjo-Kazooie.
      CURRENT PROJECTS:
      PREVIOUS PROJECTS:SOCIAL MEDIA:

Comment

That's a great video indeed.

Comment

Hello again everyone!
          I'm glad some of you really like the look and feel of the project so far (even though it's in its very early stages) and have even reached out to me about being a part of it. I'll more than likely need some help to complete this project, but like everything in life, it all comes down to finances. But I hope I can work with some of you in the future!

Until something like that happens, I've continued working on the project. I have worked heavily on the look of the game. I wanted to get the lighting and post processing looking and feeling more of how I envision it in my head. On top of the lighting, I also have been working on a weather system that has rain, splash interaction particles, automatic material changes so everything appears wet, ripples that animate on the top of assets and water that runs down the sides, and an atmosphere change that tweaks the fog, lighting and skybox. I have also included a new railing model to help guide the player and keep you on path (along with adding some nice complexity to the scene), and added to the bridge blueprint so they now have dynamically reactive ropes that move with the bridge when you walk over it (the models are placeholders on the bridge. The spheres will become knots, and the ropes will be textured accordingly). I have also put in a place holder for the exterior of the environment which isn't final, but it's there to give a sense of depth and scale. I have also done a number of performance boost along with fixes to some crashes. The lighting has also been updated so that there are dynamic shadows on the terrain that give the feel of clouds overhead. The skybox material doesn't match this effect yet though, so the illusion is currently broken when you look up. You'll also notice the material tweak to the lava, so it shows a bit more depth, and fades out at the edges.

Anyways, I hope you enjoy the update!

Comment

More polish have been done on the project. The clouds are in, and working dynamically with shadows casting on the ground and water. The lighting was also updated, trees and bushes were put in, fences were created, rope details on the bridges were updated which interact dynamically when you walk over the bridge, and a house to top off the update. There have been a lot of tweaks, but I'm happy with how it's looking so far. Hope you guys enjoy!

Comment

Awesome! How you did the clouds?

Comment

Thanks Kanc! The clouds are actually relatively simple. I put a plane in the sky that is tessellated and displaced downward to make the edges of the clouds more apparent when seen on an angle, I created a material that is driven by wind speed and wind direction to control which direction it moves and how fast, then I have a 'storm strength' variable that drives the intensity of the clouds including colour and size.The same 'storm strength' variable is controlling the light sources light function, so when the cloud sizes increase, the cloud shadows increase in size as well.

I provided the cloud material here in case you want to duplicate the logic for anything.The first image is the cloud material itself, while the other is the cloud 'cloudshadows_matfunction' that's on the lower left hand side of the screenshot.

Comment

Very clever! thanks for sharing the material. Is not something I want to do, just curious because looks really cool. But definitely I will take a look and try to get something (just a poor coder, art things are currently out of my scope)

Comment

Hello everyone!

I have been working hard on 'Boiled' over the past few months, and I have a lot of changes and progress done to it. I'm a one man team, so the work is slow. But putting in work every day feels like it's slowly paying off.

There is still a lot to get done. I am still in the process of polishing out the exact look and feel, optimizing as much as I can to achieve the best performance, but still adding more to the project to improve it everywhere I can.

The story is going to be tweaked a bit, so the cube character won't be used. But I have a tomatoe and carrot character created, so I'm using them to test with.

I'm currently maintaining an FPS of around 60 with my 1080. Hopefully I'll be able to get some raytracing functionality implemented into the project as well, but I'll have to wait for an RTX card for that. (One day!) For now, I think screen space reflections does a fine enough job.

Anyways, here are some screenshots of my project so far. There's still a long ways to go, and these will still be getting tweaked, but I'm happy with where things are headed.

Hope you enjoy!

Click image for larger version  Name:	08.jpg Views:	0 Size:	267.9 KB ID:	1681737Click image for larger version  Name:	03.jpg Views:	0 Size:	257.7 KB ID:	1681738Click image for larger version  Name:	07.jpg Views:	0 Size:	287.0 KB ID:	1681740Click image for larger version  Name:	05.jpg Views:	0 Size:	398.0 KB ID:	1681739Click image for larger version  Name:	02.jpg Views:	0 Size:	436.8 KB ID:	1681741
                    Last edited by C Albeluhn; 11-03-2019, 01:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X