Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[GAME] Snacko - farming sim with cats!

Hi everyone!

My husband and I have been working on Snacko, a farming sim in UE4 for the past ~5 or so months after our day-time responsibilities.
    Since we first started working on it as a pet project, it's gained a bit of interest, and we're hoping to move into full-time development. Currently, we're going for PC and Switch release.

We're using some Paper2D features as well as regular 3D workflows for the environments. When Octopath was originally announced, I thought it was the coolest thing to combine traditional pixel art sprites with fancy depth of field, dynamic lighting, etc., so we wanted to try our hand at a project with a similar aesthetic. It ended up looking very different to suit the tone of our game, as well as our gameplay itself evolving over time, but it was inspiring seeing the devs behind Octopath using UE and making it work for them.

snacko started out as more of an adventure type game where we drew a lot of inspiration from 2D Zelda games like Minish Cap, but I wanted to add in some farming elements just because I'm a huge fan of Harvest Moon and Rune Factory style games. Some ended up being the majority, as we shifted the mechanics to centre more around farming and town building, with mini-dungeons and explorable areas as enrichment for the rest of the experience.

As with any large project, it can get tough sometimes feeling like you're not getting anywhere. I'll keep this thread periodically updated both for developers who may want to explore using UE for different art styles, and also for myself to keep the steam going.

Thank you for reading!
    If you're interested, you can also keep up to date with snacko through these links:

Last edited by enralis; 04-03-2019, 05:42 PM.

Here was me hoping this was a cat farming game

Comment

StarMew Valley :3

Comment

Awww so cute! <3

What software are u guys using to make the 2d art?

Comment

Originally posted by Rgiz View Post
          Awww so cute! <3

What software are u guys using to make the 2d art?
          Thank you!
          I use Aseprite for all the pixel art, including the 3D textures.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	oh-nyo.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	233.5 KB
ID:	1585472The best kind of bugs are the kind where there's more cats involved...

Comment

I played this and its super fun. Can't wait until the full release version.

Comment

This looks awesome! Good work!

Comment

Wow, such an amazing project, I love the animations, whoever is making the art is VERY talented and I can see the passion in each other's work. Great job!

Comment

Good Luck on Updating the Game! It's Looking Great!

Comment

I really love the aesthetics of this project!

Comment

Originally posted by SeanOMik View Post
                        Wow, such an amazing project, I love the animations, whoever is making the art is VERY talented and I can see the passion in each other's work. Great job!
                        aww, thank you ;v;

Comment

where the heck can i download this game? i dont see any button or some

Comment

kawai cute cats

Comment

When will it be released, and is there a beta for the game?

Comment

Working...
                              X