Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

《drifting: weight of feathers》Third-Person / Action / Shooter (Update: Opening Soundtrack)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    《Drifting》 - Opening Soundtrack

Itch.IO - Opening Soundtrack
    IndieDB - Opening Soundtrack

Opening Soundtrack

This video reveals a short clip of the opening soundtrack of 《Drifting》.

As a fast-paced, action-oriented game, I wanted to create a contrast between gameplay and game theme - the idea is to provide a place for players to rest and reflect after a series of non-stop action and challenges. This change of pacing allows players to temporarily loosen up their nerves and mentally prepared for whatever challenges ahead of them, much like a campfire in a dark dungeon or a safe house during a zombie outbreak.

(Music - Emotional Sad Piano by SergeyKolosyuk)

I stumbled upon this beautiful piece of music a few months ago and found out its soothing melody and sad tone perfectly complements the theme of the game. The composition of the opening scene and music largely reveals what this game is about (story-wise) and serves as a prologue to the game.

I hope you enjoy the music and wish you have a relaxing weekend! :3

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by TechLord View Post
    Oh, in that case, if Player on Wall... Do A.B.C Version 1. IF Player on Ground... Do A,B,C Version 2.

Perhaps the difference between the versions is merely increasing/decreasing speed of attack execution inversely proportional to the player speed?

Not certain how far the AI Rabbit Hole you want to go, but Utility AI comes to mind.

Yeah, the approach you described is pretty close to what I'm trying to implement currently, I couldn't say it any better.

Thank you for providing the link, however, for this specific enemy, it might be an overkill to introduce an additional AI mechanism into the project; I think a simple state machine will get the job done, it might require a bit more time to calibrate each state to balance the overall difficulty though!

Thanks again for the reply, see you around! >.0

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by rit View Post
    I was leaning more toward changing the mech's attack behavior depending on the current state of the player.
    Oh, in that case, if Player on Wall... Do A.B.C Version 1. IF Player on Ground... Do A,B,C Version 2.

Perhaps the difference between the versions is merely increasing/decreasing speed of attack execution inversely proportional to the player speed?

Not certain how far the AI Rabbit Hole you want to go, but Utility AI comes to mind.
    Last edited by TechLord; 06-29-2020, 10:50 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied

The solution would be to use the same speed on walls and ground during that combat sequence.

Hello TechLord,

Thank you for offering your solution regarding this issue.

While removing the speed difference could certainly eliminate the problem, I felt it is a bit of a brute force approach; speed difference between regular running and wall-running is a rule that is introduced from the start of the game and maintained throughout the entire playthrough; I'm afraid breaking that rule for a specific combat sequence might damage the consistency of the gameplay.

I was leaning more toward changing the mech's attack behavior depending on the current state of the player. This approach will definitely introduce more uncertainty and variables into the mechanic and prolonged the testing phase on my already tight schedule. However, if all these incremental tasks require only a one-time adjustment, it might be worth the effort to implement it IMO.

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts! I think part of the charm of game development is that there are always multiple ways to solve a problem, and oftentimes, there are no correct answers to it. >.0

I wish you a productive weekday! =)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    There are many factors in-play when people consider a game mechanic is a reasonable challenge, one of them I found most critical is the possibility to avoid all damage provided the player is skillful enough with the game, which is to say, all the attacks need to provide a signal and a reasonable delay after the signal for players to react. I've spent almost a week to tweak the attack behavior of this mech and didn't achieve this goal I was after; since players have different speed on walls versus on ground, [B]depending on players' movement speed, the same attack can either come too quick and felt like the AI is cheating or too late and pose no threat to players[/B]
    Have a lovely weekend~ (´▽`)ノ
    The solution would be to use the same speed on walls and ground during that combat sequence.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    A glimpse of combat in 《Drifting》

Itch.IO - Mech Attack
    IndieDB - Mech Attack

Mech Attack

If you've followed my last week's update, you might be familiar with this big fella - a gigantic mech I've designed to fill in the void of my level and spice up the overall gameplay experience.

Although the mech's AI and various supplemental functions weren't particularly hard to implement, it took me quite some time to make it into its current form. During the development process, more than half of the time was spent on balancing each of its attacks to give players a reasonable challenge.

Mech Attack
    (if I delay my second dodge, I should be able to avoid the third laser attack /_\)

There are many factors in-play when people consider a game mechanic is a reasonable challenge, one of them I found most critical is the possibility to avoid all damage provided the player is skillful enough with the game, which is to say, all the attacks need to provide a signal and a reasonable delay after the signal for players to react. I've spent almost a week to tweak the attack behavior of this mech and didn't achieve this goal I was after; since players have different speed on walls versus on ground, depending on players' movement speed, the same attack can either come too quick and felt like the AI is cheating or too late and pose no threat to players.

I've yet to come up with a solution regarding this problem - feel free to share your thoughts on this matter! Hopefully, I could get rid of this problem next week. Q_Q

Have a lovely weekend~ (´▽`)ノ

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi rit

I'm glad you elected to add Giants in the game as I'm a huge Kaiju and Mecha Fan. How many Titan 'Bosses' do you plan to have. One at the end of each Level?

Kaiju and Mecha is what I mean by Monsters in SPAGHETTI (see sig). Although Monsters will be of various proportions using the Transformorph Subsystem, there's just something awesome about Giant Monsters in a game (ie: Shadow of the Colossus, Monster Hunter, etc ). I also think it will be Fun for Players to literally 'Slice' Monstrous Yokai the size of buildings using the Splinter Subsystem.
    Man, it's a super cool game designer decision.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi rit

I'm glad you elected to add Giants in the game as I'm a huge Kaiju and Mecha Fan. How many Titan 'Bosses' do you plan to have. One at the end of each Level?

Kaiju and Mecha is what I mean by Monsters in SPAGHETTI (see sig). Although Monsters will be of various proportions using the Transformorph Subsystem, there's just something awesome about Giant Monsters in a game (ie: Shadow of the Colossus, Monster Hunter, etc ). I also think it will be Fun for Players to literally 'Slice' Monstrous Yokai the size of buildings using the Splinter Subsystem.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Characters in《Drifting》

Itch.IO - Lady and Mech
    IndieDB - Lady and Mech

Lady and Mech

To provide sufficient space for players to maneuver around, I usually scale the props in my level 2x or 5x bigger than its normal proportion; additionally, in order to give players that magnificent, astonishing moment toward the end of the game, I tend to make later levels even bigger in scale and size than its predecessors. These attempts add up and cause subsequent levels to feel much more monumental and yet somewhat empty at the same time.

Lady and Mech
    (click the image for higher resolution)

To compensate for this issue, I figured it could be a good idea to add an enemy where its proportion is comparable to the size of the level, hence, fill-in the void of the empty space without compromising the space players could maneuver and the visual composition I am going after.

In terms of scale, this mech is gigantic - literally 900uu high and 600uu width - even bigger than some buildings in the game.

I hope you enjoy this week's update, have a wonderful weekend! ヽ(´∀`)ノ
    Last edited by rit; 06-20-2020, 01:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    rit
    As a solo indie dev, I consider myself very lucky to live in a world where the online marketplace help brings all the talented artists together and help me realize my dream project - for a reasonable price of course. XD
    Indeed ^^ All those nice assets and kits on marketplace help a lot, and things got solid the past 3 years. Taking advantage of Sketchfab, Megascans, Turbosquid, and Epic's marketplace helped me to speed up my game dev. I only modeled hero models and main characters. The rest of the models, they're all purchased or commercial-free with some tweaking.

Leave a comment:

• replied

Hello TechLord,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. =)

Physic walls is a concept I've just recently come up with, I'm afraid it's probably too late to implement the same features to all the other wall run plane. Q_Q

Thanks for sharing the link to the awesome plugins and animation assets!

At the time I was prototyping my game (which is about 3 years ago), there aren't as many products to choose from on the UE4 marketplace as these days. Not an artist myself, that limitation largely restricted the type of game I could make and the way the game presents itself to players. Lots of design decisions were compromised because I couldn't find an appropriate art asset to facilitate my idea.

I always wonder what my game will be like if I have access to those wonderful artworks from the very beginning; how much cool ideas will be made possible and allow players to enjoy it in the final product.

As a solo indie dev, I consider myself very lucky to live in a world where the online marketplace help brings all the talented artists together and help me realize my dream project - for a reasonable price of course. XD

I agree whole hardheartedly. I'm in the same position. I'm a solo code-centric game "systems" developer. I cannot call myself a game developer, because I have yet to develop one, but, I've developed plenty of game subsystems. Over the 4 years I've worked with UE4, My focus has been learning and developing networked procedural generation / player construction subsystems. Because I believe in-game Player Creations that can be shared and collaborately built is the future of social gaming. I also believe that High Density Modularity is the future of constructing Game Content. Only recently have I actually started working with combat game mechanic, which is at the core of a lot of action games.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The Physics Wall concept sounds really powerful. Why not apply it to all Wall Running? I'm too lazy to figure out how to implement such a physics system, LOL, thus I'm using False Gravity plugin and hacking the IK of this ledge animation set.
    Hello TechLord,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. =)

Physic walls is a concept I've just recently come up with, I'm afraid it's probably too late to implement the same features to all the other wall run plane. Q_Q

Thanks for sharing the link to the awesome plugins and animation assets!

At the time I was prototyping my game (which is about 3 years ago), there aren't as many products to choose from on the UE4 marketplace as these days. Not an artist myself, that limitation largely restricted the type of game I could make and the way the game presents itself to players. Lots of design decisions were compromised because I couldn't find an appropriate art asset to facilitate my idea.

I always wonder what my game will be like if I have access to those wonderful artworks from the very beginning; how much cool ideas will be made possible and allow players to enjoy it in the final product.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The Physics Wall concept sounds really powerful. Why not apply it to all Wall Running? I'm too lazy to figure out how to implement such a physics system, LOL, thus I'm using False Gravity plugin and hacking the IK of this ledge animation set.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    A glimpse of combat in 《Drifting》

Itch.IO - Physic Wall
    IndieDB - Physic Wall

Physic Wall

To spice up the wall running experience in the later stage of the game, I decided to add physic walls - a special wall-runnable actor where its rotation is driven by physic force - making it a bit difficult for players to align their camera with the ever-rotating wall-run plane.

Physic Wall
    (it might be difficult to notice in the GIF, however, these physic walls are driven by torque force per tick)

As long as players aim their camera correctly, these physic walls could help players traverse through the level just like a normal wall would, meaning it is possible to perform vertical and horizontal wall-run and even wall-slide on these physic actors.

Additionally, since these walls are physically driven, players are able to shoot these walls and change the rotation of these walls - a feature that veteran players could take advantage of.

I hope you enjoy this week's update, feel free to leave a comment if you are interested in my physic wall feature!

Have a great weekend! (ゝ∀・)/
    Last edited by rit; 06-13-2020, 03:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yup, I'm subscribed to your thread (over a month) It's always great to see your progress, it's inspiring.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X