Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

《drifting: weight of feathers》Third-Person / Action / Shooter (Update: Opening Soundtrack)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[GAME] 《drifting: weight of feathers》Third-Person / Action / Shooter (Update: Opening Soundtrack)

Last updated: 2020/07/04

《Drifting》 - Opening Soundtrack

Itch.IO - Opening Soundtrack
    IndieDB - Opening Soundtrack

Opening Soundtrack

This video reveals a short clip of the opening soundtrack of 《Drifting》.

As a fast-paced, action-oriented game, I wanted to create a contrast between gameplay and game theme - the idea is to provide a place for players to rest and reflect after a series of non-stop action and challenges. This change of pacing allows players to temporarily loosen up their nerves and mentally prepared for whatever challenges ahead of them, much like a campfire in a dark dungeon or a safe house during a zombie outbreak.

(Music - Emotional Sad Piano by SergeyKolosyuk)

I stumbled upon this beautiful piece of music a few months ago and found out its soothing melody and sad tone perfectly complements the theme of the game. The composition of the opening scene and music largely reveals what this game is about (story-wise) and serves as a prologue to the game.

I hope you enjoy the music and wish you have a relaxing weekend! :3

The Making of Whale

Itch.IO - The Making of Whale
    IndieDB - The Making of Whale

whale jump
    (This beautiful ocean creature is a humpback whale. According to wikipedia, males are able to sing a complex song lasting 10~20 minutes)

Hello everyone!

In this week's update, I wrote an article describing the challenges I encountered and the solutions I came up with while making this beautiful ocean creature. I hope you enjoy reading it!

Have a relaxing and wonderful weekend! ヽ(・∀・)ノ

Characters in《Drifting》

Brushing Her Hair

(noticed the shoulder-long hair do not clip through her upper body; also she briefly brushes her hair at 00:17)

One of the main features that come with Nvidia Hairworks API is the ability to pre-assign collision meshes for each hairpiece in its exporting pipeline. Since the protagonist has an over the shoulder hairstyle it is crucial to have a proper collision between her hair and her upper torso and limbs.

Brushing Her Hair

To make sure each hairpiece does not clip through her body while performing extreme acrobatic moves, I've spent some time adding the necessary collisions to her upper body. Additionally, I've also added several small collision spheres on her fingertips, which makes her hair respond to her hand brushing from her forehead through shoulder while in idle state - a small yet delicate feature I've been planning to add for a long time, now I'm just glad that my yearning is fulfilled.

I hope you enjoy the small clip of her idle animation, wish you have a wonderful weekend! :3

Scenery in《Drifting》- Cloud, Thunder and Alien Construction: 2020/02/08

(please turn on the audio volume to enjoy the most out of this video)

The game 《Drifting》 has undergone a major graphic overhaul this past week.

The sky sphere color palette was adjusted to make landscape stand out from the scene; lightning and heavy cloud were added to give player a sinister vibe and foreshadow the dark future of the protagonist; the alien construction fallen from the sky indicate an invasion is happening and convey a sense of urgency and drives players to move on to stop a tragedy from happening;

These graphical changes were made not only to provide visual aesthetics but more importantly, to pique players' interest in to know more about the backstory of the game.

I hope you enjoy the video, have a relaxing weekend and stay healthy! =)

《Drifting》 - Speedrun Gameplay Released: 2020/01/22

A few weeks ago, I decided to make a timer countdown for the upcoming TpGS2020 exhibition - a small contest that encourages players to pass the stage within the time restriction and win a small prize.

During the implementation of the timer system, I found out the game becomes much more fun and meaningful (gameplay-wise) with it, so I added a leaderboard system to rank the player's performance and document the date he/she reaches a new record; I also added a comment section in case the player wanted to describe the strategy he/she uses during a particular speedrun session.

Seeing how the newly added timer and leaderboard system increases a sense of participation among players, I am planning to expand and explore the potential of speedrunning for my game 《Drifting》.

I hope you enjoy watching this speedrun video and I wish you a wonderful weekend! :3

Edit - 2020/01/22

I upload a new speedrun video which IMO is a much smoother and better run, enjoy!

《Drifting》New Combat Gameplay Released: 2019/11/02

Hi everyone!

In this gameplay footage, I intentionally perform some moves I've added since the last combat video update: vertical wall run, vertical wall slide, forward throwing while wall running; The new directional throw animations are also shown to make a big difference in terms of player control feedback and visual appeal.

Various visual effects are added into the game: post-process blur, bullet scorch mark, the energy flow on her right arm, animation trail...etc.

Overall, this combat video concludes all the controls and visual improvements made during the last six months.

I hope you enjoy watching it, and I wish you a wonderful weekend! :3

《Drifting》New Combat Gameplay Released: 2019/05/18

Hi everyone!

In this week's update, I am glad to show you the latest combat video of 《Drifting》.

In the new gameplay footage, you'll find out the combat is much more intense, fast-paced and strategically more demanding. Energy beams and explosive missiles intertwined creating a hazardous area in 3D space, players not only need to dodge these attacks in air, but also keep on solving the environment puzzle that blocks his/her path to the next level.

Enjoy this week's update and have a wonderful weekend! :3

Release Date: TBA

Genre: Third-Person / Shooter / Action / Parkour

Developer: MYW

Platform: PC

Please feel free to leave a comment or like if you are interested in my game!

(I will send out a PM to you as response =D)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by rit; 07-03-2020, 11:34 PM.

looks cool

Comment

Core mechanics in the combat system of 《Drifting》

Grapple Kick

Grapple Stun

Grapple Throw

Feel free to leave a comment

Comment

Core mechanics in the combat system of 《Drifting》

Explosive Kunai

Feel free to leave a comment, and have a great weekend! :3

Comment

Traversal and combat technique while wall running.

Wall Run Grapple Throw

Wall Run Grapple Hook

Enjoy this week's update!

Feel free to leave a comment or like if you are interested in my game =)

Comment

That actually looks very atmospheric! Great job! Have you done all of this by yourself? What will the story be about? Just very curious right now!
            Oh and do you have any blog or site or twitter to follow the development path?

Comment

Originally posted by AVDream View Post
              That actually looks very atmospheric! Great job! Have you done all of this by yourself? What will the story be about? Just very curious right now!
              Oh and do you have any blog or site or twitter to follow the development path?

Hi AVDream~

Thank you for your interest. =)

I am a solo developer, I bought all the arts from asset stores, ex: TurboSquid, CGTrader, UE4 Marketplace...etc, however, I use 3ds Max to combine and reskin the models I bought.

The game doesn't have a story yet, but if you watch the demo video carefully, you'll definitely notice a contrasting theme in the game: old marble ruins vs. metal structure, free-flowing water vs. cage-like wired fence...etc. The final story (if there is one) will likely revolve around these contradiction themes.

If you like to follow my development progress, you can visit my indieDB page:

https://www.indiedb.com/games/drifting

The page will be updated weekly, feel free to leave a comment or suggestion. =D

Thank you again for your interest and have a great weekend!

Comment

Originally posted by rit View Post

Hi AVDream~

Thank you for your interest. =)

I am a solo developer, I bought all the arts from asset stores, ex: TurboSquid, CGTrader, UE4 Marketplace...etc, however, I use 3ds Max to combine and reskin the models I bought.

The game doesn't have a story yet, but if you watch the demo video carefully, you'll definitely notice a contrasting theme in the game: old marble ruins vs. metal structure, free-flowing water vs. cage-like wired fence...etc. The final story (if there is one) will likely revolve around these contradiction themes.

If you like to follow my development progress, you can visit my indieDB page:

https://www.indiedb.com/games/drifting

The page will be updated weekly, feel free to leave a comment or suggestion. =D

Thank you again for your interest and have a great weekend!
                Keep up the great work! It feels very interesting now - maybe with some investors' interest it could become a huge project!

Comment

A glimpse of combat in 《Drifting》

Grapple Throw And Get Hit

A perfect demonstration of the importance of spatial awareness and prioritizing your target in 《Drifting》

Enjoy this week's update and have a nice weekend! =D

Comment

Scenery in《Drifting》

A solemn yet beautiful waterfall

(Click the image for higher resolution)

This image showcases the size comparison between the player and the environment in《Drifting》. Large walls and pillars are made so that the player can maneuver around easily during intense combat.

This summed up this week's update, feel free to leave a comment or like if you are interested in my game.

Have a great weekend! =D
                    Last edited by rit; 03-16-2019, 02:13 AM.

Comment

This looks awesome! I love the slow-mo in there, that should help with the more complex maneuvers
                      My favourite video games

Comment

Scenery in《Drifting》

A softly lit hallway

(Click the image for higher resolution)

I've been experimenting with different geometry layout to get a feel of the resulting atmosphere it conveys, and more importantly, how well do my wall running and camera system adapts to the various types of surfaces.

Have a great weekend! =P
                        Last edited by rit; 03-16-2019, 07:06 AM.

Comment

Hi everyone!

In this week's update, I wrote a short article about an improvement of my wall-run dashing mechanics.

(click the .gif to enlarge the image)

Here is the link to the full article. Feel free to leave a comment or like if you are interested in my game

Have a wonderful weekend!
                          Last edited by rit; 03-23-2019, 01:33 AM.

Comment

The grapple stun looks very satisfying. The grapple throw... I like it too. Something about it seems missing though. Maybe it's just an animation thing. She swings the object away but her arm doesn't swing with the same movement. Seeing her arm swing in certain directions with the grapple motion matching I feel would be super satisfying. Is this already in the plans?

Comment

Originally posted by mcbobbyfresh View Post
                              The grapple stun looks very satisfying. The grapple throw... I like it too. Something about it seems missing though. Maybe it's just an animation thing. She swings the object away but her arm doesn't swing with the same movement. Seeing her arm swing in certain directions with the grapple motion matching I feel would be super satisfying. Is this already in the plans?
                              Hi, McBobbyFresh!

I think what you suggested is on point, but sadly I don't have the appropriate animation to implement it right now.

I will add the arm swinging animation (while grappling throw) on my to-do list, and see if I can come up with something that gives players the same satisfactory experience as grapple stun.

Thank you for your attention to detail and feel free to leave a comment in my future updates.

Have a wonderful weekend! :3

Comment

Working...
                              X