Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

《Drifting》Third-Person / Action / Shooter (Update: Kawaii Physic Plugin UE4.16 Integration)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Physics in《Drifting》

Kawaii Physics Plug-in Integration

Physic simulation plays a critical part in fast-paced games, the outcome of the physics engine needs to be stable and efficient and more importantly, provide comparable results under different framerates.

In the past, I've been struggling with UE4's physic engine, mainly because the protagonist traverse in such a high speed (up to 4500uu per second), the UE4 physics engine simply could not provide reliable result under this circumstance (mesh stretching and/or twitching occasionally appears); to make matter worse, there are noticeable discrepancies between PIE and shipping build simulation result, which makes it harder for me to adjust physic parameters accordingly.

The only choice for me was to turn on physic-substepping and remedy the stretching issue as best as I can (Max Substep Delta Time = 0.003, Max Substeps = 3 ) and pay the price of CPU overhead. However, even then, the outcome is still not stable enough. Additionally, enable substepping causes the CPU to become the bottleneck on lower-end machines and since APEX destruction is not fully supported with substepping (random crashes occur correlated with smaller substep delta time) I have to pre-destruct all of the destructible meshes in third-party software and abandon APEX destruction altogether.

A few months ago, I accidentally found out this Kawaii Physics plug-in and the video demonstration looks solid enough for me to consider using it for my project. Although the plug-in was built for UE4.20, I was able to integrate it into UE4.16 without too much effort.

The plug-in is just as powerful as the author demonstrated, in terms of ease of use, iteration time, performance gain, the plug-in simply solves all of the issues I struggled with previously, additionally, I found no noticeable discrepancies between PIE and packaged build, which is a big relief for me.

kawaii cheer

Here is a big THANK YOU to the kawaii physics plug-in author pafuhana1213, and I hope you enjoy this week's update! :3

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by L04D3D View Post

The graphics quality looks fine although you could improve upon it... It's more the aesthetics I'm talking about here... I know you need flat walls for wall running but you can add details via normal and textures... Or you can model details and create collision that is different... Take your pick... I use dynamic lighting myself and can guarantee you my level is much much larger... Are you on a really old computer or aiming this at older specifications? I'd almost love to help out on this project its so cool.. Good luck with it...
    Hey~ L04D3D,

I just watched your latest updated video and I think I know what you meant by adding detail and collision. The new level you presented in the second post is pretty large yet still retain some finer elements to it, that is exactly the kind of balance I wanted to achieve (hopefully) in the end.

Since the core gameplay of my game relies heavily on a well-designed level, I spent a lot of time building and tweaking the geometry layout and that leaves me little time to adjust or add detail to my level.

I appreciate you for sharing your honest opinion with me and I'll definitely think of some way to add detail to my level, or perhaps after I'm done tweaking and testing my level, I could outsource the level art design part to someone else? >.0

Have a productive weekday!
    Last edited by rit; 12-03-2019, 09:34 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by rit View Post

Hey L04D3D~

Thank you for your interest!

Are you talking about the graphics quality of the game or the aesthetics of the game?

For the graphics part, those who have a keen eye probably noticed the game does not render shadows for static objects. It is a shortcoming from using HISM with dynamic light(LPV). Long story short, for some reason, HISM could not benefit from UE4 shadow caching ability, and the rendering cost of HISM dynamic shadow is too high for me to consider turning it on.

The pros and cons of using HISM combine with LPV is actually an interesting topic I like to talk about in a future article.

For the aesthetic part, since the levels still need a lot of playtesting and are subject to change, I'm hesitant to add or modify things for reasons that are not related to actual gameplay. I made this decision as a precaution-if for whatever reason, I ran out of development resource and the game needs to push out to the market early, the game is still playable, albeit not aesthetically pleasing.

Thank you again for your interest and I'm glad your post made me reflect on the design decisions I made in the past.

Have a wonderful weekend!

This kitten thank you for your post! ฅ'ω'ฅ
    The graphics quality looks fine although you could improve upon it... Its more the aesthetics I'm talking about here... I know you need flat walls for wall running but you can add details via normal and textures... Or you can model details and create collision that is different... Take your pick... I use dynamic lighting myself and can guarantee you my level is much much larger... Are you on a really old computer or aiming this at older specifications? I'd almost love to help out on this project its so cool.. Good luck with it...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    《Drifting》 The Making of Tutorial Level (Part 2)

In this week's update, I wrote the second part of "The Making of Tutorial Level". In this long article, I talked about the principles I used when designing the tutorial level and the feedback I get from the latest playtest session.

I hope you enjoy reading it!

Have a wonderful weekend! =)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by L04D3D View Post
    This is such a cool game... I can see this doing really well, especially if you upgrade the graphics...

Hey L04D3D~

Thank you for your interest!

Are you talking about the graphics quality of the game or the aesthetics of the game?

For the graphics part, those who have a keen eye probably noticed the game does not render shadows for static objects. It is a shortcoming from using HISM with dynamic light(LPV). Long story short, for some reason, HISM could not benefit from UE4 shadow caching ability, and the rendering cost of HISM dynamic shadow is too high for me to consider turning it on.

The pros and cons of using HISM combine with LPV is actually an interesting topic I like to talk about in a future article.

For the aesthetic part, since the levels still need a lot of playtesting and are subject to change, I'm hesitant to add or modify things for reasons that are not related to actual gameplay. I made this decision as a precaution-if for whatever reason, I ran out of development resource and the game needs to push out to the market early, the game is still playable, albeit not aesthetically pleasing.

Thank you again for your interest and I'm glad your post made me reflect on the design decisions I made in the past.

Have a wonderful weekend!

This kitten thank you for your post! ฅ'ω'ฅ

Leave a comment:

• replied
    This is such a cool game... I can see this doing really well, especially if you upgrade the graphics...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Scenery in《Drifting》

A Glimpse of Tutorial Level

A Glimpse of Tutorial Level
    (Click the image for higher resolution)

Depending on the feedback I received from the playtest sessions, this tutorial level is most certainly subject to change and, hopefully, with each iteration and improvements, players will be able to overcome the high learning curve of this game.

Please stay tuned for the second part of "《Drifting》 The Making of Tutorial Level (Part 2)" =)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    《Drifting》 The Making of Tutorial Level (Part 1)

In this week's update, I wrote a long article about why and how I made a tutorial level, I hope you enjoy reading it!

Have a nice weekend! :3

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Scenery in《Drifting》

Animation Trail FX

Animation Trail FX
    (Click the image for higher resolution)

Usually, games with protagonists who could fly or float will add a robe or scarf (or something that is light and extensible) in its character design to enhance the visual feedback of the protagonist's movement.

In 《Drifting》 however, the idea of the protagonist's design stems from gymnastics, which has to be clean and concise to better showcase her acrobatic skills, adding additional trinkets did not fit this vision well.

In order to add visual feedback without compromising the artistic design, I made animation trail FX appears only when she performs acrobatic movements, which turns out quite nice as an enhancement for visual feedback.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Combat in《Drifting》

Combat Gameplay Released: 2019/11/02

Hi everyone!

In this gameplay footage, I intentionally perform some moves I've added since the last combat video update: vertical wall run, vertical wall slide, forward throwing while wall running; The new directional throw animations are also shown to make a big difference in terms of player control feedback and visual appeal.

Various visual effects are added into the game: post-process blur, bullet scorch mark, the energy flow on her right arm, animation trail...etc.

Overall, this combat video concludes all the controls and visual improvements made during the last six months.

I hope you enjoy watching it, and I wish you a wonderful weekend! :3

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi NoSpaceGameDev,

Thank you for sharing your compassion to me, a few words mean a lot for people who desperately needed the strength to go forward.

I'm fine (mentally) right now, just have to focus and work extra hard before the end of October.

It's like what they say, no use crying over spilled milk, and given the current situation I'm in, there's really not much time for me to be sad and pessimistic.

Thank you for your kind words.

I wish all the community developers a smooth and stable ride on their journey!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Wow this looks great! This product reminds me of the console action story adventures like Devil May Cry and Remember Me. It's great to see Indie devs breaking into all these genres and impressive seeing what a small/solo team can do. Sucks about the computer troubles, that's rough and every developer's nightmare. I hope everything works out for you, this definitely has potential.

It's always darkest before dawn.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi DarkGodsLair,

Thank you for your kind post, it's good to hear from someone who can relate to the situation I'm currently going through.

To be frank, the situation is worse than I wrote in the previous post. Besides the weekly update, I also applied an indie game contest which is due at the end of October.

If I can't get my project to build before the end of October, I won't be able to provide the latest demo of my game to their website, which will be really bad for me as you can imagine.

The first day my laptop broke down, I panicked and felt like it's the end of the world, but after a full day of contemplation, I feel I need to do whatever it takes to get the project working as fast as possible.

Now I'm just waiting for the new machine to arrive tomorrow and install all the dependencies, hopefully, if I'm quick enough, the project can be running again before Thursday and I can still catch up on the deadline.

Thank you again for your kind words and consideration, wish me luck!

: )
    Last edited by rit; 10-22-2019, 09:34 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied

You've made solid frequent updates across the board, so don't feel sorry . It sucks that this happened to you. I had to replace my brand new motherboard and CPU, because it was defective. I had to wait for replacement hardware for around 2 weeks, so I can feel your pain being unable to continue with anything.

I hope you get it working quickly .

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Last updated: 2019/10/22

Bad News

Hi everyone,

My laptop broke down yesterday (it will randomly shut down after using it for a few minutes) and I sent it to repair.

According to the repair center, it will take around 5~8 working days to fix it.

I just backup my project 2 days ago before the malfunction happens, so no harm was done to the project.

I'm planning to buy a tabletop this week as my new development machine but even then, I still need 1~2 days to set up the working environment, which means it is unlikely for me to meet the weekly update schedule.

This is a reminder that the weekly update from 10/26~10/27 will be canceled; the new combat video will also be postponed for a week.

I apologize for the delay.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X