No announcement yet.

[Community Project] FREE Ocean Water Shader

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I'm starting to get closer to what I wanted in terms of fog. Check this out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fog0.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	1666448Click image for larger version

Name:	fog1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	1666449

Comment

Sorry guys it was night time and it seemed fine to me, but in the morning I realised that it's way too dark.

Comment

Originally posted by script526 View Post
        Sorry guys it was night time and it seemed fine to me, but in the morning I realized that it's way too dark.
        You will probably need to drive the colors in the material with a Material Parameter Collection and update this material parameter collection with a blueprint which will check the hour or the sun position. Since you can do a Dot product from the sun light vector with a vector (0,0,1) it will give you a range of -1 to 1 value which you can use with a color curve, so at each point from the curve (-1 to 1) you can specify a color and retrieve the color for it. The same approach is found in BP_SkySphere present in the engine to determine the sky color, so you can do the same to drive the fog color with 1 curve, fog density with another curve and other things you think is dependent on the Sun position.
        Nilson Lima
        Technical Director @ Rigel Studios Ltda - twitter: @RigelStudios
        Join us at Discord: https://discord.gg/uFFSEXY

UE4 Marketplace: Cloudscape Seasons
        supporting: Community FREE Ocean plugin

Comment

Yeah, I'll give it a shot when I fix the 'ship-related' and lighting issues.

Comment

Hi there people,

Ive been playing around with gerstner waves for a while now and im trying to make the waves flow in towards the shoreline in different directions. The idea is i have a flow map baked in to vertex colours on the mesh and i use this colour information to drive the direction of the waves. However, even after smoothing the vertex colours out quite a bit the points where two directions blend together completely breaks apart and just becomes a bunch of displaced noise.

Anyone have experience with approaching this so that the different directions blend smoothly?

Cheers!

Comment

Hello Everyone,

The transparency of the ocean is not working in VR mode. Depending on where you look in VR, sometimes you see the ocean transparency but most of the time you do not. I am currently using Instanced Stereo mode with regular deferred shading. Just wanted to see if anyone can replicate this issue with the ocean in VR and provide some possible solutions to try out?

Thank you,

Kevin

UPDATE:

I fixed the issue. I noticed that the water blast particle effect from the Unreal Marketplace "Paragon Twinblast" assets caused the ocean transparency to work in VR when played (but after particle effect completion, the water loses transparency again). So, I narrowed down the exact effect within the water blast particle effect called "Masked", deleted all other effects around it (e.g. water droplets, etc.), set the opacity of "Masked" to 0, and play the effect in front of my player every 0.05 seconds.

This solution somehow causes Unreal Engine to update the transparency of the ocean in VR. The effect has to be played in the view of the player. It's a super hack but it works for now. Hope this helps someone using the ocean plugin in VR.

Finally, it seems that you also need to disabled SSR inside your BP_Ocean in order for this to work.
              Last edited by XGibbousX; 10-01-2019, 10:53 PM.

Comment

XGibbousX This probably is related to translucency sorting order. At the current state Unreal does not know how to put a translucency material on top of another material in a scene if you don't tell the order starting from the camera position. All objects, including particle effects (which mostly are made in a translucent or alpha composite material), are set with a field called Translucency Sorting Order = 0. To avoid that people using particle effects against the ocean (ocean behind particles) I have set the mesh planes for the ocean to have the sort order = -1 (at my repositoty branch at least).

You didn't mention if you are playing the effect while underwater or outside with ocean as background, so this info and a picture or video would greatly help understand your issue.
                Nilson Lima

Comment

Hey everyone,

I apologize if this has been addressed (many) times before.

I had a question regarding world composition. I'm working on a project that level streams in an island built in World Creator in a tiled, 3x3 grid pattern.

Last time I worked with OceanProject, it would only edge detect a single heightmap (if I'm not mistaken).

Can it, or are their plans to, have it react to multiple landscapes?

TIA.

Comment

FlashFreak I have made a video for some people letting they know where the necessary changes in the code would be necessary, but I am not sure if anyone tried that yet. Since I am building another Ocean system I am having my own issues there and I don't have the time necessary to invest in this project at least for now.
                    Nilson Lima

Comment

Working...
                    X