This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scripted View Post
    Hi, i am currently working on a project with the ocean plugin, but when i build the lights i have some strange shadows.
    i tried to mess with the shadow parameters, the uv lightmap but nothing works...

Does anyone have an idea?
    I gotta take a look into this and I recall someone mentioning this issue in the past, those are the shadows from the rocks projected into the Ocean and when you build the lights you have the baked static shadow in place, which is expected when you build lights, but they are not ok if they remain in the Ocean. In this case, I will see if there is something we can do to change, but technically this would be avoided in any other place, using stationary light instead of static, and also changing in the environment which components can receive static shadows, in this case the ocean plane.
    Nilson Lima
    Technical Director @ Rigel Studios Ltda - twitter: @RigelStudios
    Join us at Discord: https://discord.gg/uFFSEXY

UE4 Marketplace: Cloudscape Seasons
    supporting: Community FREE Ocean plugin

Comment

Originally posted by Vexar View Post
      Hey guys I haven't used this since 4.17 I converted my project over to 4.23 ripped out the old version of the plugin and all the content tied to it and want to pick the right branch that is getting the most support at this point. I was hoping to find a C++ compiled version with a better FPS and an option to remove the TOD which I have no need for. I had removed the TOD manually in the BP version so I am hoping to redo this work. Any suggestion on which branch I should grab?
      I saw your post at Discord, hopefully Berania answered for you. We need some time to take a look into the necessary changes for 4.23, we are in a short delivery schedule for some work and I am sure next week we got it handled.
      Nilson Lima

Comment

I get a crash at 45% upon starting the project (just downloaded today from github), unzipped to local drive, tried to open with 4.22.3, and 4.23, all had the same crash (something to do with shader compiler)

Comment

Originally posted by tsnodgrass View Post
          I get a crash at 45% upon starting the project (just downloaded today from github), unzipped to local drive, tried to open with 4.22.3, and 4.23, all had the same crash (something to do with shader compiler)
          If you downloaded the branch OceanProjectNilsonLima it will work fine in UE4.22.3, the MASTERXXX one is maintained by another group of users. The project won't work for 4.23, since some API changes in the engine is enforcing modifications at the source code which we will only handle next week, since right now we are in a tight schedule delivering another project.
          Nilson Lima

Comment

I got it to open with 4.20 after trying the 4.22.3 and 4.23 versions, but the island example map wouldn't load as it was saved with 4.22.3 apparently, and when I opened up oceanexamplemap_01 there is no ocean blueprint, it has the BP_Underwater but no sky and no ocean BP exist in the content browser...

Now I'm seeing that the storm ocean is just using an ocean plane with a material applied, back when I first used the ocean project in 2016 it had an ocean BP with tons of exposed variables you could change on the actor instance of the BP, is that no longer a thing??
            Last edited by tsnodgrass; 09-05-2019, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tsnodgrass View Post
              I got it to open with 4.20 after trying the 4.22.3 and 4.23 versions, but the island example map wouldn't load as it was saved with 4.22.3 apparently, and when I opened up oceanexamplemap_01 there is no ocean blueprint, it has the BP_Underwater but no sky and no ocean BP exist in the content browser...

Now I'm seeing that the storm ocean is just using an ocean plane with a material applied, back when I first used the ocean project in 2016 it had an ocean BP with tons of exposed variables you could change on the actor instance of the BP, is that no longer a thing??
              You can't open a project saved in a later version with an earlier version, things like blueprints will disappear or not be accessible. You can only open earlier with newer versions, but in the case of this project which has C++ code, each new engine release might affect written code with changes in the engine source APIs, and this is the case with UE4.23. The project won't work in 4.23, I have checked that already, needs code updates from us. The only map we place all the features is the IslandMap. All other maps are there as example. You can check via the commits at Github that those map are like that since forever.
              Nilson Lima

Comment

I did get OceanProject-Master to run on 4.23, I just had to right click on the project file Generate Visual Studio Files and change version to 4.23, it will take a long time to open the first time and sit at 45% for many minutes (20) but after it finishes all the shaders it worked fine.

I am using VS17, Windows 7, 7 year old processor 3770K, with 32GIGS of ddr3 memory, and a 1080GTX << If you have better hardware you should a shorter time to get the editor open the first time.

Note: The last time I was using this around 4.17 I went through and cleaned out all the content except the flag waving and the Ocean content to reduce the size and also removed the Time of Day as I didn't need any of it.

Once you open the project you will have 3GIGS of space being used. The .zip is 922MB.

If you guys have interest I will create a new branch with everything removed except the Ocean if not I will do it again for myself. Please let me know!

Last edited by Vexar; 09-07-2019, 07:32 AM.
                Victor "Vexar" Mercieca
                Twitch Channel
                Artstation
                Youtube Channel

Comment

Hey NilsonLima, I've got a few questions if you don't mind.

1. I'm using 4.19 and followed by your videos of masking water out of the ship/boat. I've set 5 stencil value to the inner part and 0 for the outer part and everything worked out for me but I got another issue: planar reflections are now rendering the inner part on top of the outer one when looking from certain angles. I tried to exclude inner part from planar reflections by adding it to 'Hide Actors' array in the planar reflections component of the BP_Ocean but it didn't work out since the array contains actors but my inner part is a static mesh component of another BP. Any way to fix this?

2. I've read tons of forums about fog and translucent materials and I'm still not able to make the fog look fine (neither exponental fog nor atmospheric). Exponental fog kinda works but it looks ugly and non-realistic - it's just changing color of the water but I what I want is to actually smooth the horizon or completely fade it out when the fog is really dense. Checking 'volumetric fog' makes no effect on this.

3. No matter what the horizon looks very sharp. That's not how the water horizon should look like. Please, point me to the right direction. A little bit of fog could fic that but the fog doesn't work.

4. Finally, I'm using trueSky and ocean planar reflections are rendering weird dots along the water surface which I assume are actually stars. (To make sure it is planar reflections causing the issue I deleted the planar reflection component and the issue was gone). But the thing is that the stars only show up when it is night time but I still see them at a day time.

Attached Files
                  Last edited by script526; 09-17-2019, 06:37 PM.

Comment

script526 I will do my best to respond this to you in a timely manner. Since I don't use TrueSky, I will see if I can get a trial and check your issues.
                    Nilson Lima

Comment

Originally posted by NilsonLima View Post
                      script526 I will do my best to respond this to you in a timely manner. Since I don't use TrueSky, I will see if I can get a trial and check your issues.
                      Thank you so much. You always kindly replies to users questions over the years, thank you for that.

As far as I know trueSky doesn't provide trial version. But I could add you to private Github repository if you would like.

Anyway, there are only one question related to trueSky (about stars).

Comment

Originally posted by script526 View Post

Thank you so much. You always kindly replies to users questions over the years, thank you for that.

As far as I know trueSky doesn't provide trial version. But I could add you to private Github repository if you would like.

Anyway, there are only one question related to trueSky (about stars).
                        If this private repo is the one which contains your scene with issues, then you can add me, so it would be easier to check your settings and make a video showing how it was managed to be fixed (hopefully).

Send me a private message at the discord server (mine) with your repo link. My user at GitHub: NilsonFLima
                        Nilson Lima

Comment

script526 Got some developments on the issues, 2 out of 3 so far. Check the video:

Nilson Lima

Comment

Originally posted by NilsonLima View Post
                            script526 Got some developments on the issues, 2 out of 3 so far. Check the video:

Thank you Nilson. That's a shame it turned out that I was missing checkbox. The fog is really nice but the thing is that you can not actually get really strong foggy conditions where you can barely see the horizon like on these picture references:

https://www.eoas.ubc.ca/courses/atsc...e/10-fog-3.JPG
                            http://www.papercitylife.com/wp-cont...o2_r1_1280.jpg
                            https://ak7.picdn.net/shutterstock/v...77/thumb/1.jpg

And this kind of fog appears pretty often in a real life, at least I've seen it myself multiple times while serving on the warship back in the day. It would be great if I could achieve this effect somehow.

You mentioned at the beginning of the video that the planar reflections aren't storong enough, that's because I increased a little bit the roughness value that is exposed as a parameter to the Ocean_BP actor detailes panel.

Also thanks for solving the stars issue.

Comment

The only way to increase the fog to look like the 3rd picture is making a particle systems which will drive the look, density and color. You would be able to use a flipbook to drive the fog movement and you can spawn multiple particles around you to mimic that look of dense fog around you.

I made some time ago a video with a swamp fog alike which you can see it here:

Nilson Lima

Comment

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Comment

Working...
                                X