Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Next Gen Game Character WIP

Hi,

This is my first time using UE4. I have placed this post in material/render section as well but once I get some answers I will continue on this thread:

I,m taking a CGMA class with Adam Skutt as the instructor. My goal is to create a realisitc next gen game character and render (and use) in UE4

I am using realisitc character content setup
    - I removed turned off all lights and cameras and made a simple spotlight and new camera
    - Connected the material and nodes used on the realisitc UE4 bust to my character bust

Questions:
    - I have an Xnormal Cavity map currently being used for Specular. I want to combine this with another Cavity map I created in Zbrush. How do I combine properly?

- I am currently using a Bent Normal Map from Xnormal, what is the best practice for combining and masking another normal map to this one (I will be combining with a tileable tangent normal map with microdetailing?

- Importing into UE4 is challenging. How do I import other assets for this bust so they snap in place on the bust? This bust is an FBX. I found bringing obj to the scene will not align with the bust.

Learning in spurts with UE4. I have figured out most of my questions by trail and error, combing the forums and looking up docs. Current progress:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	HighresScreenshot00000.png
Views:	10
Size:	271.6 KB
ID:	1476014Click image for larger version

Name:	HighresScreenshot00000.png
Size:	271.6 KB
ID:	1476015
    Attached Files

Comment

Hair cards are added. Working on how to get the best out of them

Name:	wip25.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	236.7 KB
ID:	1491728

Comment

I had some real issues with getting the haircards right in UE4. I am at a decent place I can stop tweaking them for now. I want to get the rest of the character in and then go into final refinements. I checked out UE4 forums and articles about haircards and I found the same difficulties. A few UE veterans seem to be able to get deep in the node behaviors and come up with some nice hair. I'm not interested in investing that much time in UE4 nodes and blueprint at this point. Here is my current look (rendered in UE4):

Name:	wip29.jpg
Size:	430.5 KB
ID:	1495369
        Attached Files

Comment

It's been a while since I updated. The hair has become a real pain to get realistic. I found a good tutorial on Polycount and I'll give that a go. I'm also planning to get my **** in a CGMA class for hair to get this right. I'll post my results.

Comment

I'm really eager to see where this is going

Comment

Originally posted by rYuxq View Post
              I'm really eager to see where this is going
              Glad you are! I have gotten much further by doing separate studies on skin and hair mainly. I learned a lot about hair taking a class on CGMA.

Comment

I think he looks pretty cool! :-) Maybe you can add a scar or some other eye-catching feature. Something to break the 'normality' a bit?
                I make illustrations for architecture: Citypixels 3D visualisatie

Comment

Originally posted by PieterLeon View Post
                  I think he looks pretty cool! :-) Maybe you can add a scar or some other eye-catching feature. Something to break the 'normality' a bit?
                  Good idea! I'm not sure if I want to scar up the face but more can be added tot he textures...thanks for the feedback!

Comment

Working...
                  X