Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Making a JRPG - thoughts and where to start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Krayfishkarl View Post
    Monster Structure from left to right:

Text, Text, Stats Structure (made of an integers), Loot Strucure (made of two integers and two arrays of names), array of names

Party structure from left to right

Name (you can use Text instead as I was planning to implement the ability to rename characters), integer, boolean, stats structure, xp structure (made of integers), array of names, array of names, float

Unfortunately, I can't say I know of any tutorials on how to specifically make JRPG's, but this one on data tables may be of use:

http://www.ue4u.xyz/2015/09/09/datatables-without-c/
    Hey, have another question! I'm trying to focus on the basics, and I've made another level named Battle_Mode which, you guessed it, will be where battling will take place. I want to try and implement a random encounter system where in the overworld, or at least specific places like Grass (although i'll consider that later on) when moving, there's a chance of a random encounter with an enemy. I feel like this will be better than overworld encounters as it seems easier both in development and on the system due to less enemy models running around everywhere. At the moment, I'm struggling on connecting the overworld level with the battle level and I was wondering if it'd be easier/more simple to try and implement a random encounter system alongside the transition between levels, or focus on transitioning between the overworld and battle levels, then connect that to the trigger boxes and then look at random encounters. Would you be able to help at all or point me to any tutorials? I had a look at the HUD Quick Guide in the UE4 Tutorial document but that's more towards building levels, and I'm not sure how I'd be able to change from pressing play on the main menu for it to transition to the main game, all the way to walking around in the overworld transitioning to the battle level at random odds.

Comment

Your best bet to achieving this sort of thing might be level streaming. Especially if you are going between separate overworld and battle areas, level streaming is much faster than using the "open level" function.

As for random encounters, while on the overworld, you would have a float variable that gets set to a random number as you are walking. If the number happens to be set to a specific value (specified by another variable which would be your encounter rate, i.e. 5%, 10%), then you would trigger an event for the battle start. Because you are using your battle area as a separate level, you would also need to store a transform variable that remembers the coordinates of any NPC's or characters you have. So that when you reload the overworld again, they would appear in the spots they were before. Level Streaming will also allow any data in the GameMode Blueprint to be remembered between levels so you should be able to use that or the Player Controller Blueprint to store the information you need.

Also, if you go with level streaming, your title screen would be its own level. It's up to you if you actually want to show any 3D visuals, or you could just have the whole thing UMG. In either case, you would also disable movement for the player character, and then reenable it once you are in the game proper.

This is a video on level streaming I came across. In the marketplace, there's also a free project called "ContentExamples" which also has an example of level streaming. Rather than trigger boxes to load other levels, you may want to use Level Streaming Volumes which make things a bit more streamlined. You can just place these volumes around the levels you want to stream rather than having a trigger box at specific points.
      CURRENT PROJECTS:
      PREVIOUS PROJECTS:SOCIAL MEDIA:

Comment

Originally posted by Krayfishkarl View Post
        Your best bet to achieving this sort of thing might be level streaming. Especially if you are going between separate overworld and battle areas, level streaming is much faster than using the "open level" function.

As for random encounters, while on the overworld, you would have a float variable that gets set to a random number as you are walking. If the number happens to be set to a specific value (specified by another variable which would be your encounter rate, i.e. 5%, 10%), then you would trigger an event for the battle start. Because you are using your battle area as a separate level, you would also need to store a transform variable that remembers the coordinates of any NPC's or characters you have. So that when you reload the overworld again, they would appear in the spots they were before. Level Streaming will also allow any data in the GameMode Blueprint to be remembered between levels so you should be able to use that or the Player Controller Blueprint to store the information you need.

Also, if you go with level streaming, your title screen would be its own level. It's up to you if you actually want to show any 3D visuals, or you could just have the whole thing UMG. In either case, you would also disable movement for the player character, and then reenable it once you are in the game proper.

This is a video on level streaming I came across. In the marketplace, there's also a free project called "ContentExamples" which also has an example of level streaming. Rather than trigger boxes to load other levels, you may want to use Level Streaming Volumes which make things a bit more streamlined. You can just place these volumes around the levels you want to stream rather than having a trigger box at specific points.
        Thank you! I've never heard of level streaming before so I'll have a look at that in a bit! Hopefully now that I have something to work on, I can use my creativity to expand on this and make a great game!

Comment

Are you looking for something like this for battle system?

https://forums.unrealengine.com/unre...d-rpg-template

Comment

Also check this out:

https://forums.unrealengine.com/unre...-jrpg-template

Comment

Sounds like a massive undertaking for nine weeks.. If I was you, I would look at similar games and start reverse engineering them.. That's how I did it with my game anyway

Comment

Break down the features you want in your game and watch tutorials on Youtube.
                Here is my Action jRPG:
                https://forums.unrealengine.com/unre...-jrpg-template

Video:

Comment

Working...
                X