Wood projection material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wood projection material

I tried using some of some of the methods from my triplanar materials to make a projection based wood material. This is the result so far:

It only uses 2 textures for albedo and normal mapping. The rest, including the rings is a result of deforming the texture projection. Let me know what you think.

Nice! Looks good - I didn't see any odd stretching. How did you go about this? And what do you intend to use it for or is it simply an experiment?
    Game Developer @ LODZERO - My Twitter | tomlooman.com UE4 samples & tutorials | C++ Survival Game (Open-Source)

Comment

When I get the material cleaned up a bit I plan on doing a tutorial for it. There is some stretching in there, but I did it in such a way that it follows the ring pattern of natural wood. My main use for it was for cabinet doors. I've found that they require massive textures to look good up close without projection and this was a natural evolution of a uv projection method I was using earlier.

I still need to add some ring distortion so that it doesn't make perfect circles and arcs and up vector direction masking. It also doesn't work with destructibles yet, but I've filed a bug report so hopefully it will soon.

Comment

This is pretty impressive! I love how it looks on torus and spring.
        FREE Lightshow
        FREE VR Drum Kit Project

FREE Color LUT Collection
        FREE Physics Driven Spacecraft Project
        FREE GTA Style Vehicle Interaction
        Dynamic DoF(Depth of Field)
        Camera Crossfade

Comment

Yeah the spring was where i was like "wait it doesnt feel wrapped" - good stuff. Also super peaceful music in your vid. I swear you guys are trying to help us all reach a plane of zen
          Let's Connect [Twitter]

Comment

Here's a new one:

I still have a few issues to work out before I release the material.

Comment

Originally posted by electricsauce View Post
              Here's a new one:

I still have a few issues to work out before I release the material.
              That's seriously awesome. Nice work. Would be perfect for the interior material for a wooden destructible.
              Storyteller - An immersive VR audiobook player

Dungeon Survival - WIP First person dungeon crawler with a focus on survival and environmental gameplay ala roguelikes

Comment

Destructibles don't work yet, but one of the developers is looking into it.

Now I have to figure out how to clean up this mess:

183 instructions and 5 texture samplers
                Last edited by StevePeters; 08-27-2014, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X