Fantastical Phantasms: Comic / Anime Style Game

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[GAME] Fantastical Phantasms: Comic / Anime Style Game

So, I’ve been working on a personal game and so happy with the results I’ve decided to share it. This game is at its infancy and ongoing. We see a lot of photorealism in Unreal so I decided to go the opposite route of very stylize, flat shaded, lighter-side of things, and emphasis on whimsical characters. I’ll show and tell more about my game when its ready to show.

A little bit about the style:

I knew I wanted simple yet dynamic look to my game so I’ve researched Cell shaders. Saw a lot of anime but wasn’t pleased, so I did several tests and came to what you see now. I just love the results so far.

Besides the white border these are in-game shots:

Also did a vid:

Last edited by Sigilier; 07-18-2018, 01:28 PM.

Lookin pretty great! Always happy to see other people use cel shading

Is the solution post processing or a shader?
    Check out our game Arcus!

Comment

Originally posted by StevenWaltherMedia View Post
      Lookin pretty great! Always happy to see other people use cel shading

Is the solution post processing or a shader?
      Thanks! Its actually both, I used post processing for the lines and the base color. I used the shader for the lights and shadow color. I been looking at your game too and great job on it!

Comment

I finally have something to show. Took a while to stick to a main character but in the end I chose what I felt works better for the game overall.

I even put the the foundations of major features down the line. Like, being able to change out masks with abilities. Still so much to do and polish but having such a great time making this.

I'll give more information about the game after I get some more features so I can show it, not just write everything out.

But how does it look so far? Staring at something for so long you get use to it. I really like how it looks so far

I've plug a video of some foundational elements, worked on the cel-shader a bit more adding spec.

Last edited by Sigilier; 09-05-2018, 01:05 PM.

Comment

This is gorgeous !!! I want to see more of that !!!
          Follow me @MrLamino

Comment

I saw a post you did elsewhere. I love the shader and materials you have going. Great modeling. Keep it up!

Comment

Originally posted by MrLamino View Post
              This is gorgeous !!! I want to see more of that !!!
              Thank you MrLamino, your project is coming along nicely, Love the design of your main character too.

Comment

Originally posted by darkhemic View Post
                I saw a post you did elsewhere. I love the shader and materials you have going. Great modeling. Keep it up!
                Thanks darkhemic, yeah I posted on the Tig forums and Facebook Indie developers page. Trying to get as much feedback as I can. Congrats on making your Grimsage run on mobile. Good luck on your endeavors.

Comment

Added structural Features to easily manipulate them later, its so satisfying to see what you imagine work the way you wanted, everything is just tests I'll be changing it later but I have the structure there :

- Put a Shadow under the character when he jumps
                  - Did custom gravity so the character fall faster and not floating down.
                  -Automatic Leveling and Rank System
                  -Hexacard implementation (think of this as MP like in RPGs)
                  -Soul Energy (like HP)
                  -Have numbers show above the character
                  -Damage and FX where your character is at
                  -Item Spawning and moving

The assets and FX are temporary, this is just to test the new features.

Comment

Here is an update on the project.

Implemented a lot of the main features for the character. The design might change but the code will not. Background and FX are just place holders for now. I wanted to have the foundation and have it working first before I finalize any content.

I put up a lot of WIP vids on my YouTube channel:
                    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_D...xeMQeAhnjVP0LA

Comment

So, this is the start of the Battle Mechanics of the game. Tweaking is a never ending task and I do it daily.

I've done prototypes and tests on different mechanics and this is what I ended up liking: Their will be many and ongoing work-in-progress battle mechanics.

The enemy is just a dummy that follows the Player
                      Also this is just a level for testing purposes.

Comment

Looks awesome! Let me know if you ever need any voice acting.

http://www.tamararyanvo.com/
                        Professional Voice Over at your service

Comment

Originally posted by TamaraRyanVO View Post
                          Looks awesome! Let me know if you ever need any voice acting.

http://www.tamararyanvo.com/
                          Impressive resume and thanks.

Comment

My day job took some time from my game but back at it and it actually gave me the time to finalize the game concepts.

The game will revolve around Cards and creating them. One of the main ingredient to making a card are the Phantasms. Here is a result of one of the Battler Cards you can make. A spell so powerful it can take corporal form. Battler Card except for Bladecards are your main Attackers.

Name: Brimfire

Last edited by Sigilier; 11-06-2018, 10:48 PM.

Comment

I've been working with Spell Circles and got inspired by kaleidoscopes. The main ingredient to this trick are your UVs. I have a design template and the feedback is instant in Unreal Engine.

Here it is in the engine:

Comment

Working...
                              X