Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Game] "Scaring Darkness Away" First Person Horror Game

Hi Everybody,

After a year learning Blueprints, I've started this project three month ago.

It's a basic First Person horror game, based on light mechanics.

I'm a very bad designer so all the visual content comes from stock/free assets, sound design too, I've still got alot of work on it.

I decided to use a Character Mesh, so now I'm lacking of animations: Pickup, Camera On/Off, Reload, Interact, etc....

I've just recorded a "playthrough" of my actual demo level, it has no story and nothing to do with the main story I wrote, this is just a gameplay mechanics demo even if I forgot to show some.

Features:

Camera with night vision
    Hiding mechanics
    Leaning mechanics
    Climbing, Parkour ( Jump over, slip underneath, tight space ) still working on it
    Ladders,Vents
    Notes
    Throwing objects, Glowsticks slow the ennemi, if in contact too long, it detroys it. Bottle make noise and distract ennemi.
    Moving objects

AI with AI perception, can patrol, search, chase, awareness increase with sound too, visible only by camera, hurt by light, got the ability to turn light off, explained in the story.

Camera/Map puzzles
    Random loot location
    3 Save/Load slots, keeping spawn locations, don't respawn picked up item, save all interactable states ( doors openned/closed, locked/unlocked, lights, keypads, movable objects locations.... )

Notes are blank because my English is aweful but it's here to help to solve puzzles, puzzles/sequences are not well done like some visuals, I need to improve thoses clearly. Sound levels need a bit of work too.

Then I'm just a newbie, one year I'm watching videos/documents tutorials, come here to ask questions, All I've done was allowed by community help.

You'll clearly see Outlast Inspiration, that's one of my favorite game with the penumbra serie but I think it lack of mechanics like in amnesia for example, I try to AIM this quality, even if I'm alone working on it.

I was just bored of bad Indie Horror games with cheap jumpscares, non sense scenario and none AI. My AI is still very bugged like you'll can see in the video, but I want it in my game.
    I know I can do better in post processing, and I'll see how I can have unique assets, maybe I'll try to learn how to use 3d modeler softs.

I hope this was not too long but I wanted to explain everything.
    You can check my previous video if you want to see all the mechanics without gameplay.

Please give me feedback, mostly if it's to tell me what to improve, the title makes sense? should I had more interaction hints? blinking materials for interactable is ok?

And if you can recommand me any good Level Design tutorial, I've found alot of good coding/blueprint tutos but none level design one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTieHuo0RyU

I don't know why it adds me two videos and I'm unable to edit it or to make it work, use the upper link or watch it two post below.

Join our discord server to give your impressions and follow the evolution of the game ; https://discord.gg/CwqZhAj

Thanks and Enjoy!
    Last edited by CharlyB.Goode; 03-23-2018, 05:04 PM.

Good work. The core gameplay loop is there. Just needs a bit more time on the level design side to balance it and to give the players more options in how to tackle problems.

You definitely need someone help you with better assets to really sell the feel of the game. Take the environments to the next level.

Good job man. And good luck!
    Need another dev on your UE4 project? Send me a shoutout and I'll lend a hand

Comment

Thanks for the Kind words!

One month ago I tried to search for designers in freelance but I can't.
      I don't want to use stock assets, it won't fit with my story and I'd like something unique, I'll need 4 environments if I don't change my actual story, of course I can decrease it.

What I really need is an unique Enemy mesh.

Maybe I'll check for some 3d tutos, but then it'll be 2/3 years of work.

I'm thinking of crowdfunding too but I'll need more than a basic gameplay video, I'll see later.

But I should start finding a solution because I'll have finished Blueprint and Environments didn't start..
      Last edited by CharlyB.Goode; 03-09-2018, 06:18 AM.

Comment

Features Edited, I've edited the vidéo too but it won't work in the first post, You can watch it here

And if you've got an idea for the name, I'm in lack of imagination for this.

Last edited by CharlyB.Goode; 03-12-2018, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Hi, I'm very interested in your game. And barely impressed of your work with those doors. I can't wait to see further video !

Keep up the good work !

Comment

Just created a discord server, I'll post game updates, concept arts etc, feel free to join https://discord.gg/CwqZhAj

Comment

Working...
            X