No announcement yet.

Motion Matching for UE4

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you very much @Hethger for sharing your progress, it's a very interesting project and some very decent work!

I happily tested the whole set up, the matching method works extremely fine, I instantly got good results on turning once I have my raw resources imported into the engine.
    However, there are several problems I found, and I'd like to send feedback to you and to the community

This is my test result

So basically, the sharp turns and rapid stops are nice, but I found it difficult to have my character go straight naturally

That has something to do with the blending method as @Hethger and @Highflex said, but yet also a lot to do with not ideal raw animation data, for in the raw data from given project, there are really not many sections contains a fine straight walking loop.

With some additional straight walking clips input into the system, I DO get nice straight, smooth walking actions going on now

But still, with only a tiny fraction of knowledge on C++, this system is more or less remains a black box to me ...
    I don't have an idea on how to tweak, or how to regulate the range on the search for matching poses, this may be the last thing this system needs to expose to the artists to be working as a real solid solution.

I know that this demo is not intended to be treated and used as a polished finished tool, but in fact, this tool, this demo, is already showing great potential to be a really good one.

Thank you very much again for sharing your work @Hethger, really good job!!
    Last edited by Steamcui; 07-10-2018, 02:54 PM.

Comment

, for some reasons it didn't open correctly for me, it says : the following modules are missing or built with a different engine version: UE4Editor-UE_MotMatch.dll then it asks me for a rebuild. when I press yes it says: UE_MotMatch could not be compiled. Try rebuilding from source manually... what should i do (my ue4 version is 4.18)
      Show lessREPLY

Comment

this is what i'm looking for. thanks a lot for sharing this. Hethger

about the advanced this topic,

i wonder how can i extend to other animations and controls, such as jump / punch / slide / climb / etc.

can i handle various situation with one motion field? if i need more how can i mix them?

make more parameters related with those situation and pass them to the motion field for evaluating candidates?

there are many things popped up in my head to achieve them.

i've tried to fix the character go straight naturally from idle to walk, run, sprint.

but it’s hard to imagine how to get the next step what i mentioned above.

how about crouch when the player pressed ctrl key? do i pass the flag for crouch to the motion field and change the cost equation to adjust pose?

any advice would be helpful for me.

here 's one way i'm trying.

about stand and crouch pose, i put the tag on the motion key between two poses.
        when i changed my character from stand to crouch, find the motion with a tag, "Crouch" for candidates.
        do the same thing about cover and uncover.

i'm trying to move from fsm to motionmatching for handling animations because of the complexity, but the motion matching gives me the other problem about how to make the cost function.
        Last edited by gawoon; 07-28-2018, 11:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gawoon View Post

about the advanced this topic,

i wonder how can i extend to other animations and controls, such as jump / punch / slide / climb / etc.

can i handle various situation with one motion field? if i need more how can i mix them?

make more parameters related with those situation and pass them to the motion field for evaluating candidates?

there are many things popped up in my head to achieve them.

i've tried to fix the character go straight naturally from idle to walk, run, sprint.

but it’s hard to imagine how to get the next step what i mentioned above.

how about crouch when the player pressed ctrl key? do i pass the flag for crouch to the motion field and change the cost equation to adjust pose?

any advice would be helpful for me.

here 's one way i'm trying.

when i changed my character from stand to crouch, find the motion with a tag, "Crouch" for candidates.

i'm trying to move from fsm to motionmatching for handling animations because of the complexity, but the motion matching gives me the other problem about how to make the cost function.
          Hi gawoon, did you consider using FSM for blending those MotionMactching result? It could be an alternative way to get the result you want.
          Last edited by Steamcui; 08-23-2018, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gawoon View Post
            How are you setting tags? I cant figure it out. I can create a tag row that appears below the animation in the editor viewport but I have no idea what the red and white lines are and how to set an area as tagged.

Comment

Very cool stuff Hethger .

Im trying to get it working with some of the marketplace packs, that are on shorter loops (root motion, but maybe 1 second) and im having issues with it as it doesnt seem to build the motion keys.

Does this need longer animations? Or its just me having a wrong setup.

I also want to know what exactly are the "motion bones" when you create a new motion matching asset.

UDK and UE4 programmer and Unreal engine 4 betatester. Currently working on commercial VR games for PSVR.
              Deep knowlegde of C++ and blueprints. Open to freelance work.
              Games released, Deathwave(Steam), VRMultigames(Steam), DWVR(Steam,Oculus,PSVR):
              http://store.steampowered.com/app/463870
              http://store.steampowered.com/app/500360
              http://store.steampowered.com/app/520750

Comment

Yes, seems that it requires longer clips from my brief testing. It probably has to do with tracking velocities and needing a certain amount of lead-in time for accurate prediction. That being said it seems like an abnormally long amount of padding.

Motion Bones are essentially which bones in the skeleton you want to be tracked/matched. Haven't dug into Hethger's system yet, but usually you can also weight the motion bones so certain bones matter more when matching motion.

Comment

i have some issues getting the plugin working....

after trying to build it it says

error:

3 dlls are missing

then i try to rebuild it and then it gives me this advice

try building from source manually.

i have literally no clue how to do this is there a yt video or something that some brave knight can share here?
                  Last edited by Erytriel; 09-14-2018, 06:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X