Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[GAME] Crusoe

Update: 03/31/2018:

You can either PM me, or email me at contact@unknownisles.com.

The website will become publically available in the following days.

Trello:
    You can follow development live on the development trello, documenting current developmental tasks, and view the roadmap, listing goals until early access release.

--- End Update ---

A little on the story ...
    ... Crusoe is inspired by Daniel Defoe's novel Robinson Crusoe. Stranded on a group of little isles, you have but one goal: to survive. But how? You don't know yet - but the huge island in the distance definitely plays an important role. Swimming there won't work: you'd drown before you reach it and besides - there're hungry sharks lurking in the water! Among a thriving underwater eco-system, you find old warplanes and a sunk submarine. One of them contains a survival knife. How useful indeed! Though whats that? Late at night - you see something on the distant island's beach: it appears to be a fire but surely this cannot be...

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	419.0 KB ID:	1431227

Build anything you want ...
    ... an innovative build system was what started this project. This type of system has never been tried before in any game! Virtually any building can be constructed using wooden poles: place them and connect them to form walls, roofs, and even floors, too. Of course, there are advanced pieces, such as windows, stairs, fences, wall, floor, and roof pieces, as well. This is the most complete and implemented feature in the game so far, with just a few tweaks remaining. In fact, I implemented this system far before I knew had thought of making this a tropical game.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	484.2 KB ID:	1431223Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	466.5 KB ID:	1431224Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	415.2 KB ID:	1431225

Starting with survival...
    ... you can already pick up stones and twigs, craft an axe, chop down trees, and cut coconuts into halves. There are even cute turtles moving around (though sadly you cannot murder them horribly with the axe yet). Currently, I am working on purifying water: taken a chopped coconut half, go to the ocean to pick up some water, and put the bowl on top of fire: The water will start to evaporate and you can catch fresh water using a banana leaf. Alternatively, you can place a rock in the fire, put into a coconut bowl of water once it's hot, and cause the water evaporate. How you manage to pick up the stone without burning your hands remains to solve, however ...

Working on the environment...
    ... as the game has finally moved out of the concept phase, I can finally start with the artwork! There are already two Unreal-powered start isles. Next, I will expand the surrounding ocean to include a vast eco-system including schools of fish, stingy jellyfish, and of course predatory sharks. I might also start placing old warplanes and sunk submersibles in the water leaving the player wanting to know what the islands have witnessed in the past ...

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	512.8 KB ID:	1431221Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	537.6 KB ID:	1431226

How long I've been at it ...
    ...I started working on Crusoe in May 2017 tweaking and implementing a little on the side. Having taken a 4-month break in October, I have now decided to commit more efforts to Crusoe with hopes of getting a working demo out there soon! I've been with Unreal for nearly 4 years now, mostly as C++ programmer, and have grown to become an Unreal generalist. Having worked on Our Ghosts of War for some time (also a cool project worth checking out!), offering my first-person animation plugin on the marketplace, and many other projects, I have the experience needed to keep this project going.

In the future ...
    ... I am going to keep you all primarily updated here. Several developer videos are already in the making, too, with which I intend to display little milestones. I am also working on a website, which will hopefully be ready to launch soon.

I need your help:
    I have many visions for this game. Though sometimes I may want to go into one direction to which players would say "No, go the opposite direction!". So, please, please, please, give me your feedback, thoughts, and questions. Questions lead to discussions which lead to ideas which leads to a better game. I'm always open to your voice.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	245.7 KB ID:	1431222

And did I mention the beautiful sunsets?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Univise; 03-31-2018, 04:58 AM.
    Take a look at my game: Crusoe

Here are some useful tools for you: Event Subsystem and First Person Animator Tool

I've posted a video on YouTube showcasing the current build system. Check it out here:

Last edited by Univise; 02-20-2018, 05:31 PM.

Here are some useful tools for you: Event Subsystem and First Person Animator Tool

Comment

I've been wanting a really good Island survival game. Lighting/water look amazing. As long as I can spear fish I'm happy!

Comment

Originally posted by TinkerTyler View Post
        I've been wanting a really good Island survival game. Lighting/water look amazing. As long as I can spear fish I'm happy!
        I am glad to hear this. Spearing fish and crabs is in fact on my to-do list. I'm coming up with a concept of spearing fish both with just the feet in water and for diving.

Still trying to come up with a realistic mechanic for the underwater part so I'm open to suggestions.

Comment

There's new campfire models for the water purification system!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Campfire.png
Views:	7
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	1437378Click image for larger version

Name:	WaterCollector.png
Views:	8
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	1437376

This is how purification works:
          1. You place a coconut half with sea water on top of the fire and an empty coconut on the rock.
          2. The sea water evaporates and is collected in the banana leaf
          3. Gravity causes the collected water drops to slide down into the water collecting coconut.

The following models were created in the progress of designing a water collector. Maybe they'll find some use in, for example, cooking fish and vegetables.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SimpleFireStand.png
Views:	8
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	1437377Click image for larger version

Name:	AdvancedFireStand.png
Views:	7
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	1437375

Comment

Water purification is at last fully implemented! A showcase video is in the works, for now, I have a screenshot to offer.
            Right now I am optimizing player-friendliness. As soon as that's done, I'll post a video.

In order to cook water, you must find a coconut, chop it up, fill with sea water, and place it on top of the campfire. The campfire also requires fuel, so you'll need to chop down a few trees in order to craft a kindling and keep the fire fueled up.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Univise; 03-14-2018, 10:36 AM.

Comment

I really liked the mood and color scheme!
              I hope the dynamic time (will there be dynamic time/weather, right?) don't kill it or scrolls too fast from one weather to another!

Keep up the work!

Comment

Originally posted by Helder Vinicius View Post
                I really liked the mood and color scheme!
                I hope the dynamic time (will there be dynamic time/weather, right?) don't kill it or scrolls too fast from one weather to another!

Keep up the work!
                Thanks!

Dynamic time is already implemented: one day-night cycle takes exactly 20 minutes. The transition works pretty well, and from 0 a.m. to 6 a.m. it is total darkness. Maybe I could post a video on that.

Yes, there will also be dynamic weather. This project faces a dynamic ocean for this to work though, so that can be difficult to get right. Also, the weather will affect player stats, such as temperature. Not sure when weather will be implemented yet though. Maybe after early access, maybe before.

If you have ideas concerning the weather or time, please let me know

Comment

Your project really looks nice so far!
                  I have one question at the moment: In your building system, can you implement any "snapping" functionalities? In your video you basically need 50 % of the time to more or less accurately place pieces together. I guess that is getting reeeeeaally tiring by the time and could drain the motivation to build larger structures...
                  Check out my GTA2 remake in UE4

Comment

Looking very good so far! How much ppl working in this?

Comment

Originally posted by Hackmet View Post
                      Your project really looks nice so far!
                      I have one question at the moment: In your building system, can you implement any "snapping" functionalities? In your video you basically need 50 % of the time to more or less accurately place pieces together. I guess that is getting reeeeeaally tiring by the time and could drain the motivation to build larger structures...
                      That is great feedback, thanks! Yes, the building snapping must definitely become a feature. I think it should do snapping for the following:
                      1. Wall to wall: Placing a wall A while looking at another wall Bs ends snaps A to B's end.
                      2. Foundation to foundation: Placing a foundation A next to a foundation B causes snaps A directly next to B.
                      3. Wall to foundation: Placing a wall at the edge of a foundation snaps the wall near to the edge. Look at the corner of the foundation snaps the wall to the corner.
                      4. Roof on wall: Align the roof long side with the wall's long side. So basically, roof and wall are aligned.

I am planning on making the system snap as soon as it detects a snappable area. To stop the auto snap, the player must press "b", or something, so the structure can be placed exactly where the player wants in case snapping is too inaccurate. What do you think? Any other scenarios you can think of that I might have forgotten?
                      Last edited by Univise; 03-23-2018, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobas View Post
                        Looking very good so far! How much ppl working in this?
                        Thanks. Right now, it is just me working on this project. I need to get more workforce on this though: especially a 3D modeller, an animator, and a level designer. Hopefully after early access or in case Epic grants me Dev Grants; though I haven't applied for Dev Grants, yet, as I want to get more material to it first.

Comment

I have worked mostly on the website this week. If everything goes according to plan, it'll be available next week! In the process, I created several screenshots.

Here is some of the crafting and inventory UI:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Crafting.jpg Views:	2 Size:	364.6 KB ID:	1452356
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	Inventory.jpg Views:	3 Size:	340.8 KB ID:	1452358

In addition, here is a sneaky preview of what the big island will look like:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IslandView.jpg Views:	1 Size:	436.6 KB ID:	1452361
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	Moutains.jpg Views:	1 Size:	373.8 KB ID:	1452362
                          Attached Files

Comment

Hello. As part of the website, I can now be contacted via the game specific email. Additionally, I have publishes the Trello boards: You can now follow development in real-time. Be sure to check out my goals and tasks!

You can either PM me, or email me at contact@unknownisles.com.

Trello:
                            You can follow development live on the development trello, documenting current developmental tasks, and view the roadmap, listing goals until early access release.

Comment

Hey man, the game is looking great! The only thing that bothers me is the UI, I think it needs a complete overhaul, it's nowhere near up to par with the rest of the game and it the font seems very unreadable and unpleasant to look at.

But the mechanics and graphics are great! Keep it up

Comment

Working...
                              X