Frontier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long time no update!

I have been busy the last few weeks so havent had much time on Frontier. Last two nights however I have begun the dungeon generation system, currently it will generate a linear path dungeon and stop when it hits either the max tile count or it overlaps with another dungeon piece. I have breakpoints set up so that I can create events when this happens however I havent created those events yet.

The system is based on North,East,South,West so we can have N,NS,NE,NW,NSW etc.

I also have a system which will create branches based on a probability chance... Im not sure yet how I will make the system go back to the branch points and start creating a linear path from the unused tile exit point however.

little GIF:

I also have been working added a new water shader based on this excellent 80lv article. I will add to this at some point.

https://80.lv/articles/working-on-water-shaders-in-ue4/

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot8.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	1450602
    My Game Frontier Devblog HERE

Comment

Tonight I have been working on the dungeon again, there was an issue before that tiles could overlap each other, this is not good so I have updated the system to check for overlaps. If an overlap is detected (a tile in that position), it will delete the last tile then continue the turtle (I think this is the programmer term).

You can see here I can generate a dungeon with a start and end point successfully 100% of the time ()

Although branching and splitting the path is not implemented yet, you can already see some interesting dungeons being generated.

I also should add that the tile size is a variable currently set to 1000, this is so that I can make the tiles more interesting later on, say if I make the tile size 3000 and remake some more interesting shapes for the meshes. Not 100% sure on how I will tackle this yet.

heres a picture to show what i mean

Name:	29665745_10160278111685341_1708257354_n.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	1451312

I think I am fairly happy with how the generation works for now, so Im going to start to create some artwork for the dungeon as its not too pretty right now.

Name:	Char in Dungeon.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	1451313

Comment

I did start doing block outs for the main character tonight, then decided I wasn't ready for it yet. So instead I continued with my idea last night and did a quick art bash for the dungeon, to be much improved...

There are currently only 3 different tiles for the dungeon, one for single entrance, one for 90 degree tile, then another for like North/South and East/West.

Will need to add another two for three way and four way. Also need to consider larger tiles for large open rooms - Not sure how to handle this yet. I might make it based on a probability chance, if theres enough space ahead in the next tile generation (3x3) have a 30% chance to spawn a large room instead of a small one.

Comment

This is looking pretty awesome!

Especially in terms of your dungeon generation. I just finished doing a write up on my process to generating "sectors" (dungeons attached to handcrafted pieces) for our side scrolling game.

And yes you're right, detecting overlaps, and having it go back one, was a hell of a struggle.

In any event, I'm curious as to how you are achieving generation yourself and doing so what appears immediately.

Always happy to see devs tackle the same problem with different solutions!

Production Manager at Goodnight Games

Goodnight Games Social Media: Twitter | Facebook | Instagram |Youtube

Subscribe to Newsletter

Comment

Originally posted by AlonzoCPO View Post
            This is looking pretty awesome!

Especially in terms of your dungeon generation. I just finished doing a write up on my process to generating "sectors" (dungeons attached to handcrafted pieces) for our side scrolling game.

And yes you're right, detecting overlaps, and having it go back one, was a hell of a struggle.

In any event, I'm curious as to how you are achieving generation yourself and doing so what appears immediately.

Always happy to see devs tackle the same problem with different solutions!
            Nice, I would like to read that write up if its online anywhere!

The breakdown for this one is basically -

1. Spawn either N,E,S or W starting tiles, add 0,0,0 to tile location array
            2. Set the next entrance location and the next tile location, so if it is a North Tile at the start, the next entrance is to the South, also next location will be 1000 units north (x in my case)
            3.Make a list of possible tiles for next tile, since it has to have a south entry/exit location, the allowed types (Currently) are SE,SW,SN (I call them ES,SW,NS, but they are the same)
            4.Pick one at random and add it, for this example lets say it chose SE.
            5. I then have a large section which decides what the next entrance point should be, for example in this one it would check that the last tile was SE and the last entrance point was South, meaning we exit next tile to the east, so next entrance location is to the West. If this check returned false we would say next entrance location is North.
            6. Then we start again at step 2.

To check for overlaps we basically have a step between point 2 and 3. It checks to see if the next generated location is contained in an array of tile locations, if it is. we delete the last tile then decrement the number of placed tiles. and then go back to step 2. Obviously this could generate the same path but then this would happen again.

Problems occur when the turtle corners itself and cant go anywhere (think of like how you die in the game snake). When this happens the above step maxs out with the in engine max loop iteration count. I have built in my own fail safe so that an overlap can only happen N number of times before it fires an event which created an end point on the dungeon. This is why in the gif you can sometimes see it generates a shorter dungeon.

To make it fire automatically I just put a trigger to the event in the construction script. I then only let it fire if a boolean is true, this event will then fire and imediately set the boolean to false, then generate the dungeon. I can click this boolean to true in the actor settings in world outliner.
            Last edited by Orkney; 03-29-2018, 04:01 AM.

Comment

http://www.indiedb.com/games/never-g...l-generator-12

That is the article link, but it sounds as if we pretty much thought along the same line of thinking.

I had created several fail safe branches because I was running into recursive loops and figured Id rather force it to complete than keep generating.

I could always go another pass and have another batch of cells and rooms spawn.

Subscribe to Newsletter

Comment

I have been working on the dungeon more, I can now generate branching paths for the dungeon instead of just a linear route. Also you can now enter and exit the dungeon properly, but I need to begin working on the save system for persistence between levels.

Comment

I have fundamentally changed the way resources are harvested, and have switched over so now almost everything can be set from data tables, as boring as this sounds, this will make it much easier to tweak things down the line. For an example, I can now set a gather rate for each hand tool. This means that the player can gather more wood with an axe etc. I also added a widget to show how many resources per tick.

I will get back to updating this more often soon!

Next thing I am going to do is overhaul the combat system. I did also start working on a main character model.

Comments are always welcome!
                  Last edited by Orkney; 04-17-2018, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Combat Lock!

Comment

3 months since last update! I have been very busy moving city to a new job and a lot of other work in the way. I have been able to do a little bit of time on Frontier though, things have calmed down a bit so I can start putting more time into it again!

I have implemented crafting, first you have to build a crafting bench, then you can click on it and build tools (only tools for now)

Also done a few art improvements

Name:	CaveEntrance.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	1502547

Comment

Implemented a cutscene system! NPC dialogues are set via a Data Table which allows for branching conversations, every NPC can have its own Data table. The quest system will link into this so that quest ID's can be triggered when certain buttons are pressed... I may eventually expand on this to take advantage of sequencer, or allow npcs to trigger animations at certain points in the conversation. I feel like everything is starting to come together nicely on this. I will in the near future be doing a big focus on the visual quality of the game, as most of the assets (especially the characters) so far are placeholder, this will include UI, Meshes effects etc. Gearing up for a push!

Comment

Big Update!

VIDEO BLOG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVJQa4ZSDi4&t=2s

I have made a ton of additions and fixes since the last video. I am going to switch to only updating every couple of months and make them more indepth rather than spamming this forum.

Craft System:

The crafting system has been changed dramatically, I have added Forges, which you use to smelt metal ore you mine into Nails, Pick Axe, Axe blades etc. This is all set via data tables, as well as their crafting costs. You can then craft Pick Axes etc from the crafting table, using the blade and wood. I plan to add a further level of detail by adding an item effectiveness meter, for example the axe will gather more wood per tick if it is sharpened on a whetstone.

Dialogue System:

Links in closely with the quest system, conversation trees are set via Data Tables, conversation choices can be removed (for example when a quest is completed). Each NPC has its own dialogue tree, although they could share them if necessary.

Quest System:

Quest log UI and manager added. In the scene there is a Quest Manager blueprint which holds all quest information for the player, the Dialogue system talks to this blueprint to find out player progress. There are 4 types of quests: Kill, Fetch, Go and Talk. Currently only a Kill quest is implemented but I will add the others.

Combat:

Added a dodge ability, although no enemies fight back yet. Also switched so that damage is caused by a collision volume on the item in the players hand, whereas before it was a direct cast sort of thing. This means a single swing could hit multiple enemies.

Building:

The building system has been modified slightly, now when you enter building mode the camera will switch to a top down perspective.

There are a lot more changes under the hood which have made a huge impact on how quickly I can iterate on elements on the game. However blueprint graphs do not look impressive. I also have some character art! My friend who also creates the music for the game has done a few concepts for the Blacksmith, Fisherman and an Alchemist.
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	42297455_291274045045772_3647979242211246080_n.jpg Views:	1 Size:	29.2 KB ID:	1536807
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	41955086_931234607072084_2955432013592526848_n.jpg Views:	1 Size:	70.7 KB ID:	1536806
                          Last edited by Orkney; 10-08-2018, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Awesome work! Ive followed your work for a while!

Subscribe to Newsletter

Comment

Originally posted by AlonzoCPO View Post
                              Awesome work! Ive followed your work for a while!
                              Thats great to hear!

Last night I created a character mesh for the Blacksmith, this is the first time I have modelled a character before, so I will probably redo him after more practice, but here he is.

Frontier also now has a website you can get to here . Though it is still under construction. Also see our new logo, created by my brother.

Comment

Been quiet for a while!

I am still working hard on this!

Comment

Working...
                                X