Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[DEVLOG] Droplet: States of Matter (3D platformer)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Made a new level demonstrating using multiple forms to traverse a level.
    CURRENT PROJECTS:
    PREVIOUS PROJECTS:SOCIAL MEDIA:

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	D3_Kitchen.png
Views:	136
Size:	574.6 KB
ID:	1468348
      Progress is coming up very nicely. Levels are about 80% blocked out. This level is kitchen-themed and that's a giant stove you get to go inside.
      CURRENT PROJECTS:

Comment

Just reached a significant milestone in my project! All 25 main levels and the 6 hidden levels are blocked out! The next things to do are the collectibles, enemies and bosses.

Overall, I'm much further ahead of schedule than what I expected to be at this point. I'm shooting for a completion date by May 2019, but I'll take the time I need to polish the game and make it look and play nice.
        CURRENT PROJECTS:

Comment

Name:	D3_Tribesman.png
Views:	126
Size:	506.0 KB
ID:	1474252
          Started working on enemies! The tribesmen will react to your presence and will start swinging their spear at you when you're close. They also drop their spears when they are defeated though this is mostly for aesthetic affect.
          CURRENT PROJECTS:

Comment

Progress update:

I've settled for a fully controllable camera now. After making the levels, I started to realize there were many parts were a fixed camera was a hindrance. Being able to turn the camera seems to help give a better sense of perspective.
            CURRENT PROJECTS:

Comment

I've been a tad busy lately so I don't have as many screenshots or videos, but here are a few behind the scenes updates:

-Proper title screen with a save feature.
              -Time trials - Earn an additional collectible for completing a level within a certain amount of time
              -Watercycle segments are now being moved to their own separate levels - this means there will now be four total watercycle levels which are unlockabled via completing time trials.
              -The six hidden levels are now unlocked by finding their specific key hidden somewhere across the 25 main levels
              -Added the first boss named Princess Cara Bonnie. A crazy diamond princess with a crush on Droplet.
              CURRENT PROJECTS:

Comment

Here's the treetops-themed level with collectibles in place.
                CURRENT PROJECTS:

Comment

It looks like you made a lot of progress !

One thing that I think might need some work is the camera . your character is at the top of the screen when your character is moving up ( like at around 2:25 in the video) . It will probably be hard for the player to know where platforms are .

Lokking forward to see the next update .
                  Last edited by Turbo banana; 05-24-2018, 06:33 AM.
                  https://forums.unrealengine.com/comm...-side-scroller

https://twitter.com/LittleFrenchKev

Comment

Originally posted by Turbo banana View Post
                    It looks like you made a lot of progress !

One thing that I think might need some work is the camera . your character is at the top of the screen when your character is moving up ( like at around 2:25 in the video) . It will probably be hard for the player to know where platforms are .

Lokking forward to see the next update .
                    Thanks!

Yeah, the camera's been the one thing that's been tough to get right. I'll keep tweaking it here and there to make sure all the angles are okay.
                    CURRENT PROJECTS:

Comment

Originally posted by Grot13
                      I really love the idea, it is a cross-breeding of Crash and Ballance, with a lot of cool ideas and good music. I suscribe to your thread because I love what you do.
                      I wish I had some graphic skill to help you, but you have my support!
                      Thanks a ton!
                      CURRENT PROJECTS:

Comment

I've been making some graphical updates to the game. Here's a before and after comparison of the castle level which is now called King Cole Castle:

‚Äč

Name:	D3_Castle4.png
Views:	140
Size:	527.9 KB
ID:	1484022
                        Cliffs were added at the edges to make the area feel a bit more like part of the ground as opposed to floating islands in the sky (though there are levels where that is intentional). The purple lake is in fact toxic waste which I'm explaining in-universe as being the result of pollution at the hands of Lord Krypton - the game's secondary antagonist. The indoor castle sections now have proper roofing and walls. The area that leads to where the dragon comes out is now a cave.

Though I still need to convert the BSP to static mesh, the geometry now more closely resembles what I imagined the final version will look like. For the terrain, I'm going for a bit of a blocky, low-poly style to make creating these levels much more practical in terms of workload (given that there's more than 30 of these to make). The characters themselves would have an average poly count between 1000 and 4000 - still a bit low poly, but practical for the workload. At some point, I'm planning to replace the starter content textures with something that would match the game a bit more tonally.

I've also been working on redesigning Droplet himself so that the player can more easily tell apart the different states of matter. I'm looking to have parts of his mesh change out such as his head changing shape, and to have additional particle effects such as a glowing trail from plasma form.
                        CURRENT PROJECTS:

Comment

Here is some new footage of the castle level.

After receiving some feedback from playtesters, I'll have to adjust the game's difficulty curve. I had no idea the game was so difficult since I had grown accustomed to replaying the same stages over and over again, but for now, I'll keep an eye on gaps on user expectations in the game. I will be working on adding some content that serves to better explain some of the game's mechanics such as a tutorial level.

I've also got an additional music composer on board to help me out. We're currently reviewing all my existing music tracks to see how they can be tweaked and improved.
                          CURRENT PROJECTS:

Comment

Added five more levels, bringing the total main level count to 30. While I will admit this is a bit more than I initially planned, I found it necessary to improve the game's learning curve. They are far easier to complete than other levels, and they also introduce difficult mechanics in safer environments. Here are a few screenshots.

Click image for larger version  Name:	D3_Bonsai2.png Views:	1 Size:	401.1 KB ID:	1496226Click image for larger version  Name:	D3_Lagoon2.png Views:	1 Size:	441.8 KB ID:	1496227 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_141361.png
Views:	128
Size:	519.2 KB
ID:	1496228
                            CURRENT PROJECTS:

Comment

Just added a few optional abilities that can be purchased through collecting atoms. For example, collecting a certain number of atoms can give you the ability to cancel your current state of matter to the default of that level. This is very useful for the time trials where you can skip the wait time to transform. Other moves like the ground pound and slide dash were also added, but I'll still have to balance them out so that they don't break the game.
                              CURRENT PROJECTS:

Comment

Another level to share! This one was built more with the new controllable camera in mind. I've also made numerous quality of life updates.
                                CURRENT PROJECTS:

Comment

Working...
                                X