Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[DEVLOG] Droplet: States of Matter (3D platformer)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[GAME] [DEVLOG] Droplet: States of Matter (3D platformer)

Latest Status:

Game is feature complete, but still needs a lot of polishing and some new graphics. I'm planning to run a closed beta early this year.

Newest Video:

Droplet: States of Matter

I've got a new 3D platformer in the works called Droplet: States of Matter! It features both action and puzzle elements as you change between different states of matter to overcome various obstacles.

Each of these states of matter has their own sets of abilities. Cloud form can jump higher, ice form can freeze objects, water form can swim, and plasma form can shoot projectiles that move faster than the others. You must use all these forms to collect all the atoms scattered across the many different levels. Each of these levels are fairly linear, but with a fully controllable camera at your aid, you'll be able to uncover hidden sidepaths and other secrets.

Different levels can be at different temperatures, so you might find yourself in a frozen area where you are in ice form by default, or in a hot volcano where you are cloud form by default. These different environments will play a part in both puzzle solving and action segments. There just over 30 main levels, 8 bosses, and numerous hidden secrets and challenges.

Features so far
    • 30+ levels with unique environments from one another
    • Four different states of matter, each with their own abilities.
    • Setpiece sequences and puzzle elements
    • Enemies that react to your presence.
    A bit of history

Droplet: States of Matter is the third game in an ongoing series. The first Droplet game was created in 2009 with Multimedia Fusion (now known as Clickteam Fusion) for a competition for the Technology Student Association. It was a 2D sidescroller game with six levels and three states of matter to change between: water, ice and cloud. It won first place at the national level. However, I decided I shouldn't stop there, and so I continued to delve deeper into the world of game design to make sure that every game I make afterwards would be better than the last.

In 2013, in my spare time I created a sequel/remake also in Multimedia Fusion known as Droplet 2: Fusion Power. It became my most ambitious game at the time with 9 large levels to explore as well as the addition of a new plasma form. However, by that point, I began to realize I was pushing Multimedia Fusion to its limits. It was time to move to a new engine so that I could explore the possibility of 3D gameplay. While I did my research and experimenting, to keep my output of games consistent, I decided to dig through my computer archives and make enhanced ports of my older games to HTML5 so that they could be playable on the web browser. All my greatest hits from my very first game in 2005 all the way to Droplet 2 were converted using Clickteam Fusion's HTML5 converter.

After spending another two years learning Unreal Engine through trial and error and experimenting with a separate JRPG style game, I decided to begin work on the Droplet sequel I always wanted to. Since January of this year, I've made excellent progress so far. I'm hoping to have the game ready for release by May 2019, just in time for the tenth anniversary of the first game. But ultimately, I want to make sure I polish it enough so that in the end, it's a fun, solid gameplay experience.

Also, as an additional bonus, 6 of the game's secret levels will be HD remasters of the levels from the first game. Finding all the hidden keys to unlock them will be tricky!

Images
    Click image for larger version  Name:	D3_Autumn.png Views:	1 Size:	532.9 KB ID:	1455605

The game's first level.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	D3_Snow.png Views:	1 Size:	507.8 KB ID:	1455606
    The level's climate controls what form you start off in. In a snow level, you start out in ice form.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	D3_Lava.png Views:	1 Size:	504.1 KB ID:	1455609
    Likewise, hotter levels have you start off in cloud form.

Click image for larger version  Name:	D3_Freezing Enemies.png Views:	1 Size:	553.2 KB ID:	1455607
    In ice form, you can freeze certain enemies to use as platforms.

Click image for larger version  Name:	D3_Ice.png Views:	1 Size:	554.4 KB ID:	1455608
    In ice form, you can also freeze the surface of water.

Videos

So far, it's only me working on this, but in the future, I'm looking to expand the team. I've been doing all the blueprints and level design. I've also been composing all of the music. In the meantime, I've been using BSP brushes and whatever I can cobble together with Blender for art. In the near future, I'm planning to post some concept art of what I envision the characters to look like.

Who I'm Looking For

For this project, I'll be looking for some volunteers, specifically character modelers and environmental artists. Either PM me via the forums or post on this thread if you're interested. I'm going for a blend of cartoony realism. Think Super Mario Odyssey or the Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy. Or if you just want to show your support, then join my Discord channel here.

In the meantime:

So far, I do not yet have a public demo since I want to cut down on the amount of placeholder graphics first. But for now, feel free to check out the previous Droplet games:
    Last edited by Krayfishkarl; 01-07-2019, 04:50 PM.
    CURRENT PROJECT:
    • Droplet: States of Matter - A 3D platformer game involving an anthropomorphic water droplet than switch between different states of matter.

PREVIOUS PROJECTS:SOCIAL MEDIA:

I've been making some very good progress in the past few weeks. I've implemented the abilities of ice form as well as a level designed around you learning how to use it.
    CURRENT PROJECT:
    • Droplet: States of Matter - A 3D platformer game involving an anthropomorphic water droplet than switch between different states of matter.

Comment

Just made a new area! I put a secret path as well as a rare plasma form:

CURRENT PROJECT:

Comment

Been hard at work. I've been blocking out a lot of different areas to experiment with how the player transitions between different states of matter. Once I got that down, I'll populate them with more collectibles and enemies.
        CURRENT PROJECT:

Comment

Here's a new level with some very unique challenges. It makes use of the rare plasma form as well as platforms that move differently according to your current state of matter.
          CURRENT PROJECT:

Comment

Another level where the default state of matter changes throughout the level due to the heat of a volcano. Also, there's a T-rex.
            CURRENT PROJECT:

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	D3_Stratosphere.png Views:	1 Size:	80.8 KB ID:	1445713
              Here is what the ninth level looks like from above. It's not quite video ready, but I thought I might just post something to look at. This level is set in the stratosphere where it's pure platforming. There are clouds that start to shrink when you step on them, and the orange segments are placeholders for moisture that can be frozen in a similar manner to the surface of water. The last segment of the level gets cold and the default form changes to ice. So your timing is a little different.

This level takes about 5 minutes to finish assuming you don't miss any jumps.
              CURRENT PROJECT:

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	D3_Cave.png
Views:	1
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	1449831

Tenth level is completed. This one features blocks of sodium that explode when you are within proximity. The ending part has wooden boats that sail down a river. You must avoid obstacles like hanging stalactites along the way.

I've been holding off additional videos mainly because I'm waiting until I have a new feature that's really ready to present with bells and whistles. I've just continued the blocking out as usual. In the meantime, I'll be posting some music tracks from the game that I've been composing myself. They aren't quite done, but they are songs I put together to help me figure out the game's atmosphere.

Link to the SoundCloud Playlist

The results I have so far are an upbeat trance techno. I've been sticking with very specific BPM's mainly since some elements of the game are actually affected by the music like the speed at which some platforms move. Each level will also a unique music track to help give it its own identity.
                Last edited by Krayfishkarl; 03-25-2018, 10:31 AM.
                CURRENT PROJECT:

Comment

New level called Pleistocene Plateau. In this one, you get to hop on mammoths and use them as platforms. I've also introduced a vehicle called the watercycle which you ride down a mountain at the end.
                  CURRENT PROJECT:

Comment

Name:	D3_Treetops.png
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	1453287
                    A forest-themed level where you are hopping on treetops. This one is a bit easier than the previous ones so it will likely appear very early in the game.
                    CURRENT PROJECT:

Comment

This is a nice idea for core game mechanics

Comment

Originally posted by guyal View Post
                        This is a nice idea for core game mechanics
                        Thanks for the feedback!
                        CURRENT PROJECT:

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	DropletRedesign.jpg Views:	2 Size:	321.2 KB ID:	1455421
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	D3_PlayerModel.png Views:	2 Size:	176.1 KB ID:	1455422

Finally got to work on some concept art and modelling for the player character. Granted, I'm not very experienced in Blender, but hopefully, this will be a lot more interesting to look at than the default mannequin. Animations should follow shortly.

Droplet is about 5'8" so he's perhaps either late teens or early 20s. What I'm going for is a bit of a 90's kids type mascot character. In the story, Droplet is the lab assistant to Professor Humphry Heisenberg Otto - the relation I'm imagining to be a bit similar to Doc Brown and Marty McFly. Once I'm ready to reveal it, I'll drop more story bits as to the sort of world the game takes place in. My aim is to give every single character in the game, both protagonists and antagonists, distinctive personalities.
                          CURRENT PROJECT:

Comment

Name:	D3_Marsh.png
Size:	313.0 KB
ID:	1459367
                            Been quite busy so I haven't been able to work on it as much. However, here's another aerial view of an early game level. This one has you ascend a mountain with a river with waterfalls. I've also did walking and jumping animations for the main character so now the game is a tad nicer to look at when you play it.
                            CURRENT PROJECT:

Comment

More progress! New model for the main character implemented!
                              CURRENT PROJECT:

Comment

Working...
                              X