Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Procedural Earth based on GIS Data

Hello,

This is my first contribution but I was using Unreal Engine for years…

I am working on an open world solution (Real open world) with real time data streaming and with no loading time.
    I use GIS Data to generate procedurally the whole earth. The GIS Data is read and used on runtime, nothing is baked.
    I am using custom projections (WGS-84) to simulate a real size earth (Yes you can see earth and create real size planets!).

The visual is correlated with the real data.
    The application is highly multi threaded and resources are loaded and unloaded on runtime.

Here is a small demonstration
    I have only data covering 220 Km x 220 Km (2 Degrees x 2 Degrees)
    https://youtu.be/pUvoSZkFbjs

It's possible to generate any other planet...

Here are some other features:
    -Unbounded Worlds
    -Procedural Imagery based on GIS data
    -WGS-84 Support
    -Real Size World
    -Fully automated terrain generation
    -Procedurally generated from any GIS Data
    -OGC CDB Support
    -Fast data loading
    -No loading time
    -High frame rate (75-100 f/s with dense data and complex terrain at high speed (>560 m/s))
    -Fast loading after reposition
    -GIS Data 3D Editor
    -Shifting and re-projection to maintain precision

Thank you for your feadbacks!

Looks interesting... What are your plans for this?

Comment

Honestly, I don’t know yet. It’s a lot of code and there is still a lot of work to do. I started designing a solution to create procedural models (on runtime), based in the footprints and other information like the region, type, height, number of stories, etc. The information is available already in the GIS data (Check OpenStreetmap for example).

Comment

Hey sessid - This is amazing!

Got a few questions -

1. What are your plans for this? Do you plan to sell this on the marketplace, Itch.io, or similar store front? Open Source it?
        2. Can we replace buildings that are placed at run time? If so how? Curious to see the workflow for this.
        3. Will this accept SRTM data or data from NASA JPL?
        4. Does this generate roads? Either via Open Street Map or other form of data?
        5. Is this a plugin, a project or engine level modification?

If you cannot tell I am very interested in this for my own projects.

Is there any way I can reach out to you to talk in private?
        Last edited by HeadClot; 01-10-2018, 02:03 AM.

Comment

I am also very insterested. Please let me know, if this gets released.

Comment

Originally posted by HeadClot View Post
            Hey sessid - This is amazing!

Got a few questions -

1. What are your plans for this? Do you plan to sell this on the marketplace, Itch.io, or similar store front? Open Source it?
            2. Can we replace buildings that are placed at run time? If so how? Curious to see the workflow for this.
            3. Will this accept SRTM data or data from NASA JPL?
            4. Does this generate roads? Either via Open Street Map or other form of data?
            5. Is this a plugin, a project or engine level modification?

If you cannot tell I am very interested in this for my own projects.

Is there any way I can reach out to you to talk in private?
            Hello HeadClot,

Thank you for your feedbacks.

1. I don't know yet, but for sure not Open Source it.
            2. Yes you can use specific models, if your GIS data points to a real model it will be used, it will create a procedural one otherwise...However, Unreal still has performances limitations in term of streaming of assets (textures or models...).
            3. You can load in data :-). The application is completely decoupled from the sources, so if your tile requests a specific data, it asks the data server for it...You can customize your server of data, There is a public interface (If the format is not supported per default).
            4. Not yet, this is still version 0.1, but it's in the plan, it will use the road network GIS data to generate the roads...Again any data...if your format it's not supported per default you can create your own converter...
            5. No it's not a plugin, I created external libraries for the geographic processing, the tiling system and the math behind...I used them in a project.

I sent you a PM for my coordinates.
            Last edited by sessid; 01-10-2018, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MaSe87 View Post
              I am also very insterested. Please let me know, if this gets released.
              Hello MaSe87,

Thank you for your feedbacks.

I don't have a plan yet. I will keep you updated.

Comment

WOW! Would totally love to see this become a real world solution. My mind is swirling with endless possibilities. Please keep us updated on the progress and if you could use any assistance with testing along the way please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Comment

Originally posted by CreatorofWorlds View Post
                  WOW! Would totally love to see this become a real world solution. My mind is swirling with endless possibilities. Please keep us updated on the progress and if you could use any assistance with testing along the way please don't hesitate to get in touch.
                  Thanks CreatorofWorlds!

Comment

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/79/79af...0337e74d7e.jpg

Would love to see release of it as plugin, with sources (at least terrain part, don't really need anything else)
                    https://github.com/iniside/ActionRPGGame - Action RPG Starter kit. Work in Progress. You can use it in whatever way you wish.

Comment

The possibilities are so huge, you definitely have a lot of developers wanting this, afterall the world generation is key for a game success, not to mention other applications!

Keep it up and thanks for sharing!
                      Nilson Lima
                      Technical Director @ Rigel Studios Ltda
                      Art is a state of Spirit
                      UE4 Marketplace:
                      Cloudscape Seasons

Comment

Originally posted by iniside View Post
                        http://www.quickmeme.com/img/79/79af...0337e74d7e.jpg

Would love to see release of it as plugin, with sources (at least terrain part, don't really need anything else)
                        I don't have a plan yet, but I will keep you updated. There is still some issues to address even to deliver the terrain.

Originally posted by NilsonLima View Post
                        The possibilities are so huge, you definitely have a lot of developers wanting this, afterall the world generation is key for a game success, not to mention other applications!

Keep it up and thanks for sharing!
                        Thanks Nilson!

Comment

Working...
                        X