Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sing Me To Sleep (atmospheric exploration narrative protoype)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sing Me To Sleep (atmospheric exploration narrative protoype)

S I N G M E T O S L E E P

website | playable prototype | videos | twitter @acatalept

Your name means
    "song of remembrance..."

You are our memory,
    the memory of a dying world,
    a world that lost its way.

The world around you
    is so very big,
    and you, you, my child,
    are so very small.

singmetosleep is an atmospheric,
    exploration-based interactive narrative.

Vast minimalist forms, a stark color palette,
    and an evocative soundscape.

There are no real monsters.

Not really.

Download playable prototype (May 4th, 2014) -- with optional Rift DK1 support -- from itch.io!

Updated prototype with Rift DK2 support coming soon!

story details

singmetosleep website

follow @acatalept on twitter

Some kind words from those who've played the prototype:

Indie Impressions video preview

Kill Screen Daily

Alpha Beta Gamer

Warp Door

Game Sphere

Zockah.de

VIDEOS

2015/02/28: minimalist soundscape

2015/01/31: alternate visuals without dynamic lighting

2014/10/17: realtime global illumination and soft shadows

2014/09/18: ArchViz flythrough

2014/04/29: early Oculus Rift walkthrough

2014/04/16: early exploration

website | playable prototype | videos | twitter @acatalept

Last edited by acatalept; 07-13-2015, 01:16 PM.

SINGMETOSLEEP (surreal dreamscape narrative)
    / PARASOMNIA (hypnagogic labyrinth) / PRETTY ABRASIVE MUSIC / TWITTER @ACATALEPT

I'm new to UE4 (coming from Unity), but I'm very impressed with the tools and workflow. And of course the out-of-the-box visuals (for a non-artist like myself) are just incredible...
    Last edited by acatalept; 05-23-2015, 11:30 PM.

/ PARASOMNIA (hypnagogic labyrinth) / PRETTY ABRASIVE MUSIC / TWITTER @ACATALEPT

Comment

Wow, it's really coming together in the second video Keep us posted!

Comment

I have to say, this is probably one of my favorite things I have seen in UE4 yet. Everyone gravitates to the usual fps, 3rd person, sidescroller, or flying game. Most of them are spawned because the developers were inspired by something they played or a game series they enjoyed. (Not saying this is terrible), however it causes a "stale" monotonous repetition that can get discouraging. Unique games don't really come out anymore. But I have to say, it looks like you might be on to something very unique

BRAVO!
        Portfolio
        UE3 - Advanced FX Masterclass Part 1 DVD
        UE3 - Advanced FX Masterclass Part 2 DVD

Comment

Looking great, the atmosphere in the second video is very nice. Will be keeping an eye on this.
          Portfolio: https://www.artstation.com/artist/paulroach

Comment

Looks awesome - that kind of desolate snowy atmosphere is something i'm trying to achieve myself (I've only had the engine for a couple of days thought, and a few hours to play with it - hoping to get some real time with it soon)

Comment

This is pretty neat I like it. keep at it.

Comment

Do you use atmospheric fog with a density gradient in order to achieve that foggy look at the edge of the terrain?

Comment

Amazing and unique. I'll be following this project. Love the 2001: Space Odyssey Influences.

Comment

Cool stuff man, that second video has a lot of atmosphere. The sound adds so much!

Comment

Looking great!

Comment

Thank you all for the compliments! I'll continue to post as I progress.

Originally posted by TheOldWizard View Post
                        Do you use atmospheric fog with a density gradient in order to achieve that foggy look at the edge of the terrain?
                        I'll post the exact details when I next get a chance to sit down and crack open the project. I *do* remember spending a lot of time playing with a combination of atmospheric fog and exponential height fog to get where it is now, and it's still not totally obscuring very distant objects/scenery (which is my goal).

Comment

fantastic! Looks super creepy and intriguing. Kept expecting a slenderman or something to scare the banana pudding outta me.

Comment

Originally posted by acatalept View Post
                            Thank you all for the compliments! I'll continue to post as I progress.

I'll post the exact details when I next get a chance to sit down and crack open the project. I *do* remember spending a lot of time playing with a combination of atmospheric fog and exponential height fog to get where it is now, and it's still not totally obscuring very distant objects/scenery (which is my goal).

Alrighty im looking forward to that post.

Comment

Originally posted by TheOldWizard View Post
                              Alrighty im looking forward to that post.
                              Regarding the fog settings, I was misremembering: as it turns out, I had high hopes for atmospheric fog giving me a sort of "distance haze" as shown in the image at the top of this page: https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...Fog/index.html

But after a lot of experimentation I could not get more than a negligible effect. As it turns out, I'm currently only using an Exponential Height Fog. And even with this, I spent a lot of time playing with the Height Falloff, Max Opacity, and Start Distance, and ultimately left these at default, instead simply jacking the density up to 1.0 and dropping the fog actor *way* below (-25000) my ground plane to get the current look:

Like I said, I still aim to have scenery/objects beyond a certain threshold gradually disappear completely into some sort of fog, but I haven't found a way yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X