Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SCENE] Archviz Scandinavian / Lightning

Hello!

I'm doing a full scale apartment in Unreal practicing some lightning, shaders and materials. First up is a work in progress on my bathroom. There's still much left to do, as there is almost no furnishings and so on, but i still wanted to render a sequence to get a feel for the atmosphere so far. My idea is to keep the atmosphere of each room "living", in this case i'm practicing volumetrics and water shaders for the shower.

I will post more screenshots and progress on the rest of the rooms.

Here's my inspiration board so far, i'll keep it updated!:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image_119011.jpg Views:	1 Size:	294.6 KB ID:	1363443

Tools: Substance, Maya, Zbrush, Photoshop

Update Exterior 2017-09-25

Update Bedroom 2017-10-02

Update Kitchen 2018-01-02
    Last edited by Avocadosallad; 01-02-2018, 08:43 AM.
    http://www.twitter.com/oliwervik

Here is a few screens on the rest of the house. I'm very early in the project and still in a process of trying out different textures trying to find a nice combination (Keeping it fairly scandinavian). There's a ton of lightmap issues since i still have automatic UV's on certain meshes, but my workflow has turned out to be working pretty well so far. At the moment i have been in a mood of working on what ever room i've felt happy doing. Since most of the rooms have their proper base done, i'm now trying to box out the most basic interiors in all of the rooms.

I'm also pretty happy with how the lightning have turned out in most of the spaces so far!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bathroom_02_wip.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	1344257Click image for larger version

Name:	Bathroom_wip.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	1344258Click image for larger version

Name:	Small_Kitchen_wip.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	1344259Click image for larger version

Name:	Small_Bedroom_wip.jpg
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	1344256Click image for larger version

Name:	Bedroom_wip.jpg
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	1344255

Comment

Nice graphics.
      check my blog - cybereality.com

Comment

This looks fantastic! Maybe add more props to fill out some of the empty spaces, the lighting looks great.
        WWW.POLIGONZ.COM

Comment

Thank you, appreciated! I'm still figuring out how i want the rooms to look so there's just some farily basic interior in place at the moment, the same for textures on the floor. There will be a few updates to come as i go along! I definitly think the props will do their job to convince the realism, i'm also fairly certain that more reflective surfaces (The floor for example) could enhance the look!

Feedback and critique is always welcome!

Comment

Thought i'd share an update on a bed i made for the master bedroom. I've usually relied on blender for simple cloth simulations over the years, which has worked great. But for this project i thought it was time to learn Marvelous Designer a bit better. I've bearly touched it over the years, but skimmed through the documentation today and tried creating this bed for the master bedroom. Would have liked the duvets to be a bit thicker and folded better, but my CPU could bearly handle the fold in realtime

Can't wait to texture this and lightbake in Unreal.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Bed_render.jpg Views:	3 Size:	97.0 KB ID:	1346836

Comment

This looks intense! How are you going to approach the lightmap issues later on?

Comment

Thank you haha! Alot of the visible lightmap issues comes from the unreal's automatic UV unwrap, which i expected! About 50% of the scene is manually unwrapped and got it's own lightmap, which solves the problem. Typically an interior has much more visible lightmapping issues than a outdoor environment and require much more manual work. So basically later on i'm going back to a few of those assets and unwrap them in Maya! Hopefully most of the lightmap issues disappear. I cannot be certain, but i'm running this scene on a Lightmass setting i know works pretty good for this kind of scene, but tweaking is evident

Comment

Awesome work! If I may ask, did you do the texturing in your 3d package? How did you apply the maps? Unwrap? Box mapping? And when you import them into Unreal how do you manage the material?

Thank you in advance

Comment

Originally posted by Ipiodin View Post
                    Awesome work! If I may ask, did you do the texturing in your 3d package? How did you apply the maps? Unwrap? Box mapping? And when you import them into Unreal how do you manage the material?

Thank you in advance
                    Thanks, much appriciated! I have a "Master Scene" in Maya where all my different models are located, usually they're placed where they should end up in Unreal. Basically its a reflection of my unreal scene, but in maya. When each model is done i unwrap the model in UV Deluxe, one uvmap for textures and one for lightmaps. Its a very standard procedural, nothing fancy. I then export each models into Substance Painter where i bake all my maps (ao, normals, etc.) and then i texture them!

In Unreal i have a Master material setup for all my tiling textures such as floor, walls, windows, etc. So each new tiling asset have an instanced material from the master that inherits a set of sliders, checkboxes and texture slots for roughness, dirt, marks, masks and so on. Unique assets that requires more fancy shader setups have their own material, like the showerglass in the video for example. In this way i avoid unnecessary recompiling of materials and it allows for a faster workflow!

Hope that helps!

Comment

if u use Marvelous Designer u should get a nice uv for lightmaps

also mind share lightmap settings + any edits in BaseLightmass.ini ?

Comment

lightmap settings and baselightmass.ini would definatly kick it
                        The Bathroom looks amazing

Comment

Originally posted by migero View Post
                          if u use Marvelous Designer u should get a nice uv for lightmaps

also mind share lightmap settings + any edits in BaseLightmass.ini ?
                          Yeah i hope so. You get really nice UVs from MD! But i will have to ZRemesh them for a lower tricount so i will have to make new UV's in Zbrush unwrap.

Originally posted by creatordx View Post
                          lightmap settings and baselightmass.ini would definatly kick it
                          The Bathroom looks amazing
                          Thank you!

Static Lightning Level Scale: 0.6
                          Num Indirect Lightning Bounces: 20
                          Indirect Lightning Quality: 10
                          Indirect Lightning Smoothness: 1.1

IndirectPhotoDensity = 3000
                          IndirectPhotoSearchDistance = 180
                          IndirectIrradiancePhotonDensity = 1500
                          HumHemiSphereSamples = 64

These are the starting point values, they are definitly going to change in the process. The final result will also be different when i add in more stuff so i expect some changes in my meshes lightmap scale and static lightning scale. Maybe an increase in density and distance also depending on performance, bake time and result.

Comment

So really nice dude, I was going to ask about light, but u already aswer haha, but, just a another question, where u study n learn about linghting? I would be happy learn about this like your screenshots. nice work.

*your video is so small, show more scenes.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenno Lopes View Post
                              So really nice dude, I was going to ask about light, but u already aswer haha, but, just a another question, where u study n learn about linghting? I would be happy learn about this like your screenshots. nice work.

*your video is so small, show more scenes.
                              Thank you, happy to hear! There's a few good sources online! Lightning practice and study is irrelevant to the engine, so i would experiment and try out basic lightning fundamentals in whatever engine/program you prefer. I started out with still image architectual renders in Blender and then went on to Vray in Maya, did a couple of projects there and now i'm in unreal doing realtime.

Gnomonworkshop have a few good tutorials on effective cinematic lightning and working with Vray inside Maya. Learning about a ray-traced engine and how to setup the basics will teach you alot about how lightning works. If you want to do actual tutorials on creating realistic interiors i would also recommend Andrew Price videos on Blenderguru.

There's also a couple of good books on the subject.

Digital Lightning and Rendering

Lightning for Cinematography

Yes the video is very short haha, it's all i have had time to do so far!

Hope that helps!

Comment

Working...
                              X