No announcement yet.

ArchViz / Lighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is really amazing! :-) Is there any way to achieve this result keeping the quads outside of the window invisible? (in an interactive 1st person visit they would be visible outside of the window in your case, isn't it?)
    What kind of strength did you use for the sun and for the spotlights?
    Did you also tweak indirect lighting quality from the world settings or the indirect lighting contribution intensity for your lights?
    Sorry.. many questions, but your work is really inspiring for us all :-)

Comment

..and one more question: why didn't you just pointed the spots toward the window? are you getting softer shadows this way?

Comment

Thanks everyone

You can hide the quad in game with the "Actor Hidden In Game" option in the Rendering tab of the object.
        I use a intensity of 6 for the sun and 16 for the spots, depends of your auto exposure. For exemple I used 1.0 for Min and Max Brightness (so no auto exposure) and 0.5 for exposure bias.
        No tweak on the lights.
        In the world settings I just set the number of bounces to 100 (max) and slighty decrease the indirect lighting smoothness (0.8).
        I have not even try with a spot directly at the window, with some tweaks maybe it works ... the reflector thing seemed logical to me

Comment

Originally posted by koola View Post
          the reflector thing seemed logical to me
          Reflector mesh works and it is a good idea actually. Back in UDK emissive materials worked with lightmass as light sources so you could use a plane with emissive material on it to do what you are doing without using any lights. Now it requires a bit more work to place additional lights but the result is well worth it as you've been proving.

Thanks for sharing the INI settings, btw!
          FREE Lightshow
          FREE VR Drum Kit Project

FREE Color LUT Collection
          FREE Physics Driven Spacecraft Project
          FREE GTA Style Vehicle Interaction
          Dynamic DoF(Depth of Field)
          Camera Crossfade

Comment

Thank you for sharing your settings :-) looking forward to see more of your works!!

Comment

Update: I tweeted the Video with the link to this thread and Mark Rein (VP of Epic Games) and the Official UE Twitter Account already retweeted it
              https://twitter.com/moritzw/status/499549066758733824
              I wouldn't wonder if you get featured in the next twitch broadcast...

Comment

Huuuuu, nice, thank you ... that's too much

Here's a new quick video with some speedtree, hope you like it.

Edit : and a screenshot
                Last edited by koola; 08-13-2014, 11:02 PM.

Comment

Oh yes.. So you are the man for a "The Third and the Seventh" Remake in UE4.. Love your output and will look forward to some more in depth breakdowns/tipps. Thinking about getting my hands on UE4, too...

Comment

Koola , that looks really cool !
                    Can you share the setup of last scene with trees - material of trees and lighting ? I am working now on trees crowded scene and have some problems with lighting there
                    Thanks

Comment

Great work Koola! Really reminds me the style of "The Third and the Seventh"

Comment

Hey man!

Wow..this looks so so good When I first saw the thumbnails I was like..wait, thats a photo or v-ray render xD Very nice quality push

Just some minor questions^^.... You said earlier: "I use a intensity of 6 for the sun and 16 for the spots, depends of your auto exposure. For exemple I used 1.0 for Min and Max Brightness (so no auto exposure) and 0.5 for exposure bias."

16 for the spots? So you are NOT using inverse square falloff?^^ I always have a hard time translating the values just by looking at it
                        Also...with exposure settings like this, dont you have to almost kill the bloom completely as well? Locking high to 1 AND adding the 0.5 offset triggers quite some bloom if you are not tweaking that one down a lot as well

Another thing I would find interesting...how do you setup your reflection capture actors? First, sphere or boxes? I mostly use boxes for rooms and spheres for details, but the boxes have quite a lot issues with rooms that are not rectangular (like T shapes etc....you get quite some noticable blending issues). I am also asking this because of the stairs^^ Is it just one big box actor covering the hallway and the stairs? That would cause some heavy offset, but my guess is you just dont see it because conrete or wood is not a perfect mirror^^

Yeah...just some thoughts^^ Looking forward to see more breakdowns and nice videos

Cheers!

PS: Wait whuuuut?!?!? You can calculate Lightmass in under 10 min with these crazy ini boosts AND bounces set to 100 (while 3 is the start value^^) in the world settings? Sounds like magic
                        Last edited by Daedalus51; 08-14-2014, 03:25 PM.
                        Check out UNREAL 4 Lighting Academy
                        https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...ng-like-that-)

Comment

Originally posted by koola View Post
                          Huuuuu, nice, thank you ... that's too much

Here's a new quick video with some speedtree, hope you like it.

Edit : and a screenshot
                          This is just insane!

Honestly, I didn't like your first image too much, of course it was good, but something was off. The school (or whatever this was) video was great though, pretty much photorealistic.

BUT THIS ONE IS JUST INSANE! I really had to triple check if it was a real recording or a render video. This was actually scary, you know, not to know if something is real or not... imagine 5 years from now with Oculus and stuff... Fortunately, some leafes gave it away^^
                          Last edited by DennyR; 08-14-2014, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Hey Man,

one more question...are you using the skylight in the new pavillion scene? Oh and by the way...isnt this a part of Pavelló Mies van der Rohe in Barcelona?^^
                            Check out UNREAL 4 Lighting Academy
                            https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...ng-like-that-)

Comment

Thanks for all the comments !

Yep, the pavillion scene is directly inspired by Alex Roman's "the third and the seventh" (and yes it's a part of Pavelló Mies van der Rohe in Barcelona^^).
                              ("the third and the seventh" ... I watched this video like a million time It's so amazing).

"16 for the spots? So you are NOT using inverse square falloff?"
                              Oops forgot to mention that ! I'm not using inverse square fallof for the spots (and the light fallof is set to 0.0001).

Also...with exposure settings like this, dont you have to almost kill the bloom completely as well?
                              I set it at 0.25 (or 0.5 for the stairs scene).

how do you setup your reflection capture actors?
                              Well, the simplest possible way
                              For the "Blue chairs" scene there is only one BoxReflectionCapture that cover the entire room and for the "Stairs" scene one Box for the room and one small sphere (for better reflection on the chairs). But most of the reflection is done by the screen space reflection (intensity 100, quality 100 and I use the command r.SSR.Quality 4 to have the best quality).

You can calculate Lightmass in under 10 min with these crazy ini boosts AND bounces set to 100 ...
                              If I remember well, around 10min without the sun and a little more with.
                              Added a lots of secondary bounces don't add significatively more render time.

are you using the skylight in the new pavillion scene?
                              Yep ! And a big spot/reflector to add a little directionality in the ambient lighting.
                              ____________________________________________________________
                              https://twitter.com/Koola_UE4

Comment

Well done sir, ....thumbs up!

Comment

Working...
                                X