Rama's Multi-Threaded Dynamic Pathing System, Full Physics Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick Update Video

Just a quick update video, showing how I am gathering all nav mesh areas that are non-contiguous / not directly pathable to from the goal location.

I am using this test to determine which nav areas are valid to be pathed to via jumping!

Again the whole focus is nav areas which are non contiguous / jumping is required.

I am now going to use this data to develop a jump-pathing system, an additional layer of pathing on top of UE4 pathing.

Enjoy!

Rama

UE4 Marketplace: Melee Weapon Plugin & Compressed Binary Save System Plugin | Rama's C++ AI Jumping Videos | Vertex Snap Editor Plugin

♥ Rama

Comment

New Video!

Branching Jump Paths Search

Hi there!

In this video I am demoing the progress of my Jump Path algorithm where I am finding jump pathways for the AI unit to follow, which necessarily involve switching between different sections of nav mesh that are not contiguous.

~~~

Comparison

Regular AI pathing requires navlinks to do this, but I am writing my own system so I can have runtime generated geometry that the AI unit can still do jump pathing over, and there is no extra work for the level designers, I am doing it all in C++!

~~~

Efficiency?

In this video you see the radial line checks I am doing.

These are not traces!

This is very low level simple math calculations!

The line is being checked against a box using UE4's related math functions, and it is very efficient!

~~~

Tick Speed

I am slowing down the algorithm in the video so you can see it better, and also so I can debug it as I am making it, visually seeing each phase of what it is doing.

~~~

Algorithm Overview

1. First I am getting all of the Edge nav areas, as seen in prior videos, then I am doing radial traces from each edge to find nearby nav areas that are facing away from the start point of where I am testing.

These found nav areas are highlighted in green!

Again no traces or even nav mesh raycasts are involved, just simple box/line math calculations!

~~~

Next step:

Next step will be to make this check run itself over each successive step in the path, find the best points for the AI unit to path to and then jump from to get to the next point

Enjoy!

Rama
      UE4 Marketplace: Melee Weapon Plugin & Compressed Binary Save System Plugin | Rama's C++ AI Jumping Videos | Vertex Snap Editor Plugin

♥ Rama

Comment

That is looking very good with low perf. Great work Rama
        W3 Studios

Comment

Please tell me that you're planning to finish this whole system and either get it into a future version of Unreal Engine 4 or turn it into a plugin and upload it to the marketplace!?!?! I would die of excitement if either of those two were to happen! Good work Rama!

Comment

Originally posted by Devero View Post
            That is looking very good with low perf. Great work Rama
            Hee hee thanks Devero!

I can't wait till you make all your cutting edge animation research public! * hint hint*

Originally posted by KoldKam View Post
            Please tell me that you're planning to finish this whole system and either get it into a future version of Unreal Engine 4 or turn it into a plugin and upload it to the marketplace!?!?! I would die of excitement if either of those two were to happen! Good work Rama!
            Hey there KoldKam!

Sorry I will check out that large map you sent me at some point soon, been rather busy lately

Making my AI system into a plugin would not be too hard, given that I am developing around a single class, the main character class, and it is just a series of AI components + all of my C++ code

But Epic is changing the whole AI component system in the very near future, so I need to see what changes in 4.5 and also wait for Marketplace plugins to be allowed by Epic!

But thank you for the feedback, hee hee!

Rama
            Last edited by Rama; 09-15-2014, 07:56 AM.

♥ Rama

Comment

It's alright lol, and oh, ok! Haha, thanks for the reply! Keep up the good work!

Comment

Jump Pathing System

Major Progress Update

Major progress!

I've now succeeded in recursively generating paths from the ultimate goal to the unit's current location!

As you can see in the video different paths are generated each time, and only successful ones are recorded!

Again what you are seeing are paths that involve a series of consecutive jumps, where there is no direct path to the goal!

This is my Jump Pathing system!

~~~

The Next Hop

My next hop will be to actually make the unit follow one of the paths that gets found, once it gets found!

~~~

Performance

I slowed down the tick rate for the video so you could see what was happening, it is normally much faster

Last edited by Rama; 09-18-2014, 12:56 AM.

♥ Rama

Comment

Wow @...@
                  Fantastic Updates!

-Jeremy-
                  Portfolio
                  UE3 - Advanced FX Masterclass Part 1 DVD
                  UE3 - Advanced FX Masterclass Part 2 DVD

Comment

Originally posted by JBaldwin View Post
                    Wow @...@
                    Fantastic Updates!

-Jeremy-
                    Hee hee! Thanks Jeremy!

~~~

Update

I am putting the jump pathing on hold at the moment to work on other aspects of Abatron, which Devero has just publicly announced here on the forums!

https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...l=1#post151952

He's done some amazing work with UE4 curves driven by C++ and Anim Blueprints!

Rama

♥ Rama

Comment

Here I am reposting my favorite video from this thread so far, for anyone new to the thread.

What you're seeing in this video is my dynamic AI jump pathing system, finding a correct path across a very irregular surface requiring multiple jumps!

All done in C++!

The AI did not get any help in the editor, this was strictly my C++ AI analysis of the world environment!

Again just sharing again because it was a such a moment for me in my AI development

First and so far only gif I've ever made, cause it was such a incredible moment for me

[/QUOTE]

Rama
                      Last edited by Rama; 09-29-2014, 11:46 PM.

♥ Rama

Comment

Hey Rama, sorry it has been a while, but really love the progress you have made on your system! Also congrats on becoming 'Elite' with your 1000th post!

Have you done any analysis on the performance difference between using the nav system and your implementation, with your code only I mean, not slowing it down for so you can see how the AI is deciding it's path (I think I read you had to slow it down for showing in video a while ago, correct me if I am wrong though)? If you are able to compare it, your system may be too advanced for a real comparison!

Looking good, keep us updated!
                        Free Community Ocean & Sky Project || Join us on Discord! || Trello Roadmap

Comment

Originally posted by DotCam View Post
                          Hey Rama, sorry it has been a while, but really love the progress you have made on your system! Also congrats on becoming 'Elite' with your 1000th post!

Have you done any analysis on the performance difference between using the nav system and your implementation, with your code only I mean..

Looking good, keep us updated!
                          Hi there DotCam!

Actually my current implementation is a hybrid of my own systems + UE4 nav mesh system, I am basically extending the UE4 system to do fancier things!

By subclassing and extending the base UE4 nav components I can use all of their functions and the nav mesh functions as tools to build my own complex AI systems!

It's going very very well actually!

I even got the UE4 nav system to work for the AI units in my game that is a physics-based multiplayer game, where the AI unit is always simulating physics! I had to also use a custom character movement component for that though

Great to hear from you!

Rama

♥ Rama

Comment

Ranged AI Units, Intense Explosiveness!

Dear Community,

I have just released a new video!

This is a very sophisticated high tech demo of ranged AI units using a very special mesh provided to me by forum member Jacky!

After the first round of Sheer Intensity, you will see Jacky's animation skills at work to animate the co....I mean ranged unit!

Many thanks to Jacky for the ranged unit model, you can find a download link to it earlier in this thread!

Thanks Jacky!

~~~

Gameplay Balance

Please be aware, I've carefully balanced this unit, though it may require a bit more testing.

~~~

Team Based Area of Effect Explosions

This video also is a demonstration of Team-based AOE damage, where the melee allies of the ranged unit dont take damage, but opposing units are sent flying in all directions if they are not out right returned to their natural Tree-dom.

Enjoy!

Rama

Last edited by Rama; 10-04-2014, 05:37 AM.

♥ Rama

Comment

That was so awesome! Fire spitting cows!
                              Glad you found a use for it.
                              FREE Lightshow
                              FREE VR Drum Kit Project

FREE Color LUT Collection
                              FREE Physics Driven Spacecraft Project
                              FREE GTA Style Vehicle Interaction
                              Dynamic DoF(Depth of Field)
                              Camera Crossfade

Comment

That was great, good work. Now you need the flying ufos, to come in and destroy the cows. =)
                                W3 Studios

Comment

Working...
                                X